About Elemental

Lloyd Dupont

Not a question about Scifi this time! 😮
(also writing a "new" magic system, though quite similar to the Magic power (page 88) in effect and spirit, it is limited and costed slightly differently, and it has more spell and some non spell skills)

Anyway, I was wondering about elementals, they have "Armor: None, but invulnerable to normal attacks".
I was wondering about things like "Sharpen", in my previous campaign I was ruling that some spectre (very much like elementals) only take the magical bonus as damage. i.e. your magical 2 handed sword +4, does only.. 4 damage.

I am wondering how you handle creature "immune to normal damage". I don't think the D&D mindset of plus weapon can damage fits...
Plus I was not quite sure what could damage my spectre anyway.. 😕   And in the new magic system I plan to have an "elemental shape" spell, so I need to clarify what can damage the caster once they turn into elemental themselves...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

The traditional rule was that the creature took damage from the bladesharp/sharpen. For instanced a Sword with Bladesharp 2 would do 2 points of damage to a creature immune to normal weapons, such as a werewolf.

Most such creatures tend to have a weakness (silver or rune metals for werewolves) though where they take full damage. A mage who can turninto fire might be vulnerable to water or some such. 

On the plus side, immune to normal damage is pretty rare outside of Call of Cthulhu.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Thanks 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Just as I was doing! :)
Thanks!

Don't thank me, you were the one doing it.

That is the basic RQ1-3/BRP method. I think they may have plated around with things a bit in "spin off" games. 

BTW, Are you familiar with old RuneQuest? It might cover some of the same ground. Both the old sorcery system and Lunar magic could be close to what you are going-albeit without your limits.

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I had RuneQuest 3 when I was a kid.... many years ago....
But I don't have it no more....

But you are aware of Battle/Spirit Magic, RQ Sorcery and Lunar Magic (a hybrid between spirirt magic and sorcery), right? Lunar Magic might be close to what you are trying for. What it did was make it possible for a caster to adjust and enhance the normal spirit magic spells. For instance using magical skills to turn a Bladesharp (Sharpen) spell into a Bladesharp 6 and/or make it last twice as long and so on. 

Oh yeah, I had and remember RQ3, I also have Mythras, BGB, Revolution D100....

I have multiple, conflicting, like and dislike about them....

First I flat out dislike the RQ/Mythras style 1000km range 100 years 10 target kind of spell... But I do like area and maintained spell from RD100, though I dislike how easy it is, and I like BRP magic mostly, but I have a problem with elemental spell, they are both too easy and too expensive... I also dislike the staff and familiar thing... And finally I want to enable urban magic punk setting thing...

My magic system, hopefully, is going to enable the powerful scenario I like gated behind massive experience requirements (way beyond starting character kind of experience), while tuning down starting wizard so that making a simple fighter seems like a good enough idea! :)
(though I favour what they do in RuneQuest I believe, i.e. magic for everyone!)
Will share soon for feedback! :) 20 spells done out of 110 planned... (missing 4 out of the 5 magic item building spells, one of them being critical to powerful wizard) And the whole new skills fully detailed already...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

10 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Oh yeah, I had and remember RQ3, I also have Mythras, BGB, Revolution D100....

I have multiple, conflicting, like and dislike about them....

First I flat out dislike the RQ/Mythras style 1000km range 100 years 10 target kind of spell... But I do like area and maintained spell from RD100, though I dislike how easy it is,

The RQ3 approach was to double one of the spells parameters (range, duration, intensity, etc.) by adding +1 MP to the cost and requiring the casting roll also be under that skill. So if you wanted a bladesharp spell to be +4 instead of +1 it would cost you 3 more MP (much like standard RQ) but you didn't need to know Bladesharp 4, you just had to know how to amplify the spell and make the roll. Making the spell last longer worked in a similar fashion. Most paramaters were on a doubling scale. So making spell last twice as long would cost 1 MP (and reguire a duration/extension roll) , making it last four times as long would cost 2 MP, and so on.

I mentioned it becuase it at sounds similar to what you are trying to do. 

and I like BRP magic mostly, but I have a problem with elemental spell, they are both too easy and too expensive... I also dislike the staff and familiar thing... And finally I want to enable urban magic punk setting thing...

BRP Magic, much like everything else "BRP" is cut & pasted from previous Chasoium RPGs, much of which was never intended to be used together. The staff and familiar thing came from the original Magic World from Worlds of Wonder, and was needed as a way to give spell casters enough POW/magic points to cast a few spells. But MW was an attempt to make a high fantasy style FRPG using the RQ/orginal BRP and a  16 page booklet. It kinda worked mechanically, but didn't really hold up well for long term play. 

My magic system, hopefully, is going to enable the powerful scenario I like gated behind massive experience requirements (way beyond starting character kind of experience), while tuning down starting wizard so that making a simple fighter seems like a good enough idea! :)

Now it really sounds like RQ3 sorcery/lunar magic. Generally speaking sorcerors in RQ3 started off the weakest but had the most potential, as their magic was more flexible and adjustable. With experience and a lot of stored Magic Points they could do things the other magicians could only dream of. It just took a lot of time, experience and power strage to get there.

(though I favour what they do in RuneQuest I believe, i.e. magic for everyone!)
Will share soon for feedback! :) 20 spells done out of 110 planned... (missing 4 out of the 5 magic item building spells, one of them being critical to powerful wizard) And the whole new skills fully detailed already...

Looking forward to it. It will make it a lot easier to discuss too, as I'll be working from the same page.

• Like 1

Ho well.. I am interested by feedback indeed.... :) 
mmm.. if you interested .. well.. gotta share now ! :)

BRP-Magic2.docxBRP-Magic2.pdf
and the pdf 

My though process for fire, firebolt, fireball:

I made a skill that limit how much MP can be spend one 1 spell (arcane knowledge), and you are also limited with INT/2 in mos t case, and the costing is spell dependent not quite linear.

For example teleport and change kept verbatim from BGB
But fire became firebolt and costing is 1 = 1D6, additional D6 cost 2MP each (slightly different from level : it's not quite linear).. on one hand it's cheaper (I use general HP), on the other hand you are limited to 9MP in most case, which mean 5D6 top.
Also, since it is a bolt, I can combine it with ball (which cost 4) for 3D6 fireball at best, i.e. for 9MP. 

The important Spell in it (my 110 long list is for providing lots of fun effect and develop a blood magic villain society) are the enchant spells, they are meant to affect magic greatly
- Autonomous Spell: it's in, I want to have city elemental or flying ships or submarine... (this one doesn't use POW)
- Spell Booster spell, missing, it create enchantment that gives cost reduction on a small selection of spell (up to 3~4), that's a big power up

Edited by Lloyd Dupont