So, I am looking into some mapmaking software. I was going to use google docs, cheap as hell, but my art is not what is should be.

1. Should I invest in map making software?
  2.  Is there good free product out there? 
  3. Can I use clip art of overhead shots of trees and hills buildings etc. (and does anyone have tips on what and where) and paste them into Google Docs?
  4. Buck up and draw green circles for trees brown squares and rectangles for buildings... you get the idea?

What are people doing with their Covid Lock Down online gaming experiences in terms of cartography.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

I've drawn my own... or get some pictures from the internet that meet requirements and then use a Whiteboard app to show it to the players, drawing on positions etc

I also will engage my daughter to do some art for me...leastways she says she will 

Happy to help you out

Dolmen.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How much time & effort are you willing to put into the project?

Campaign Cartographer 3 is a pretty high-end package, currently on Covid-sale for US$25ish, IIRC.  If it were a "professional tool" instead of something game-y, I expect it'd be into the hundreds of dollars...

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, g33k said:

Campaign Cartographer 3 is a pretty high-end package, currently on Covid-sale for US$25ish, IIRC.  If it were a "professional tool" instead of something game-y, I expect it'd be into the hundreds of dollars...

This is the package that started me down the rabbit hole from google docs. I think it gets @Joergs vote of approval as well. Just waiting for a response to confirm. It do look purty!

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 4.19.21 PM.png

• Like 2

It's rep is that it takes a fair amount of time-invested to get the best results.
It's much like AutoCAD, or Photoshop, or any other high-end tool that way.

Once you HAVE invested the time, it's capable of some VERY impressive products!

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Once you HAVE invested the time, it's capable of some VERY impressive products!

Like much, eh? I do like the idea of a box of coloured pecils some graph paper and an evening, though! The price is right, the learning curve is much lower as, alas. are the results...

44 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I enjoy using Wonderdraft to draw regional maps. Friends tell me Dungeondraft is good for interiors. I marvel at the battle maps and tokens on 2-Minute Tabletop. And I'm very impressed by Jon Hodgson's Map Tiles (print and digital). Hope this helps.

Here’s the beauty of it. A good question is a like a gift that keeps on giving, If it does not turn out to be of help to me, it will be to someone else. I will be having a look over all the above so thanks guys. 

Everyone is taking about using commercial mapmaking kit made for their opuses, anyone using their drawing Word processing or photo manipulation software for mapping who would care to share their tips. Anyone firing up Illustrator, Open Office, PS, or GIMP and knocking out a map. Are you using templates, clipart, custom brushes to paint a forest or a mountain range? 

Cheers

5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

My Who Do You Think You Are Kidding, General Fazzur? map in The Duel at Dangerford was quickly knocked up using MS Powerpoint; I ran it through an online photo filter thing to look slightly less flat.

I know, that @jajagappatoo uses Powerpoint for creating his maps, which sometimes leads to very impressive results (e.g. his Nochet map).

I've tried to play around a bit with Campaign Cartographer, which has led to good results indeed - if you invest a certain amount of time.

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Anyone firing up Illustrator, Open Office, PS, or GIMP and knocking out a map. Are you using templates, clipart, custom brushes to paint a forest or a mountain range?

As @Oracle noted, I do all my maps with MS Powerpoint.  Both Nochet and Whitewall were done with that tool, but I also use for 'battle mats', regional maps, etc.  They are all hand-drawn.  I take advantage of free-form shapes, editing the points as needed, and use various techniques for outlines and fill to get layers, etc.  

Here's an example for a future project in a slightly different style than the cities - but entirely done through ppt.

NLG-knownworld-HSmith2020.jpg

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

As @Oracle noted, I do all my maps with MS Powerpoint.  Both Nochet and Whitewall were done with that tool, but I also use for 'battle mats', regional maps, etc.  They are all hand-drawn.  I take advantage of free-form shapes, editing the points as needed, and use various techniques for outlines and fill to get layers, etc.  

All I can say is wowsie, wowsie , woo woo, Pebbles! Hot damn, but that looks easy and evocative.

I use Inkscape, Gimp and my personal fav Krita for all my art work. All open source. Each takes a bit of learning but over the years I've built up a personal library of public domain texture and assets. Here are some details of the maps I created for Remembering Caroman:

Encounter_Detail.jpg.4a1076d3c2baad854d6918ab7e9aae7b.jpgRegional_detail.jpg.01bd0d3faf3b9e8569274fde27621ad4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, g33k said:

How much time & effort are you willing to put into the project?

You people are EVIL!

I've just dropped $107 for the World Builder Bundle -- Even though it's been some 30 years since I last tried mapping a fantasy world. Back then it was a large sheet of hex-paper using a scaled up Traveller template, pigmented inks, and an assortment of air brushes.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

You people are EVIL!

<sighs with long-suffering patience>

As I keep telling all my players:  I am not an Evil GM.

no, really!

I'm just a wee bit ...

goodness-challenged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1