Babeester Gor Myths

Godweyn

So, new player in the group show up, enthusiast as hell about her new Babeester Gor initiate.
Want to know all about her, so  i'm here again to consult the veteran scholars of glorantha xD

Well here i go, what are the more important myths of Babeester Gor, and where to find them?

"When the Gods War perverted the world, the earth brought forth its own grim defender. Babeester Gor was born from her mother’s corpse, axes in hand, body ritually scarred to carry deadly magic. She destroyed all kin-slayers, all oath-breakers who swore by her mother, and everything which desecrated the sacred places of the earth.

She was merciless and cruel. Once she slew so many defenseless residents of Healing Valley that she waded breast-deep in the gore, drinking the blood of victory and slaughter. Eurmal saved some of the healers when he turned the blood to beer, which Babeester Gor drank to blissful oblivion."

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/prosopaedia/deities/b/babeester-gor/

(Murdering innocent people in Healing Valley seems to be a regular activity among war gods - Humakt does it as well.)

• Like 2

I wrote a myth about Babeester Gor last week. 👈😊

Using the translation gadget on the right margin and doing some corrections here and there, here you have it:

During the Greater Darkness, many gods mistreated the goddess Ernalda. Some of their names have been forgotten because Babeester Gor hunted down each and every one of them and cut them with his axe into such small pieces that they were never heard from again. One day, one of these evil gods took advantage of the fact that Ernalda seemed to be dead to cut off her hair. He thought it would make a good coat so he could survive the cold of the Darkness. Babeester Gor immediately set off after him.
The thief god was faster and soon lost sight of him as he entered a dead forest. Enraged, Babeester Gor cut down all the trees with her axe until the god had no hiding place. 
The god then ran off again and took refuge in a region of dark hills full of caves and hiding places. Babeester Gor stomped the ground mightily, and the earthworms emerged from the mud of the path to tell her where the god had hidden.
Seeing the vengeful Goddess approach, the thief fled again and plunged into a sea of blood, diving deep so he couldn't be found. But Babeester Gor crouched on the shore and drank all the blood to expose the thief god.
Desperate, the god promised the albatross goddess that if she flew him away from there, he would share part of Ernalda's hair with her to protect her children from the cold. The Albatross Goddess heeded him and flew away carrying him in her beak. Watching him soar into the air, Babeester Gor flew into a rage. She went to the nest of the Albatross Goddess and began to kill her children one by one mercilessly. Since then, albatrosses have only laid one egg per year. Terrified at hearing the screeches, the Albatross Goddess dropped the thief god to save her chicks.
Babeester Gor went to the place where the thief god had fallen to kill him, but the thief tried to cajole the Goddess by saying: "If you let me escape, I will use Ernalda's hair to protect my thousand children from the cold and they will be so grateful that they will worship you forever". Unmoved by his words, the Axe Goddess cut him into a thousand pieces and fed them to the worms. She only left the thief's hands whole, which she kept as a trophy. Even today, the hands of that forgotten god serve as a reminder to anyone who may feel tempted to steal from the Goddess of the Earth.
Babeester Gor returned to the Palace of Earth and gave Ernalda her long hair back. Although the Earth Goddess was still asleep, Babeester Gor noticed that her face was cracking a smile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Eurmal's Rod is quite prominent in some myths.

Cant remember where I read it but there is some story where he throws his...stick...at some goddess and then have to accompany orlanth (i think) to the underworld to steal some treasure before he can pick up his stick. And these treasures are guarded by a demoness with vagina dentata whose favorite tactic is biting off...sticks...
Naturally she captures Eurmal but finds that she cant really punish him.

2 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

Cant remember where I read it but there is some story where he throws his...stick...at some goddess and then have to accompany orlanth (i think) to the underworld to steal some treasure before he can pick up his stick. And these treasures are guarded by a demoness with vagina dentata whose favorite tactic is biting off...sticks...

That was probably one of mine, Uleria's New Toy. PG as usual. 🙂

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

https://eightarmsandthemask.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-axe-and-sealed-jar-babeester-gor.html?m=1

There are four short Babeester Gor myths in this blogpost of mine, written to provide an alternate perspective on the cult and goddess. They are not entirely canon-compliant (the biggest variation is in having distilled liquor in Glorantha), but hopefully the worldview they present is helpful for providing the internal perspective of an initiate. 

• Like 4

Though a Lunar through and through, she is also a human being.

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 10/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, Eff said:

https://eightarmsandthemask.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-axe-and-sealed-jar-babeester-gor.html?m=1

There are four short Babeester Gor myths in this blogpost of mine, written to provide an alternate perspective on the cult and goddess. They are not entirely canon-compliant (the biggest variation is in having distilled liquor in Glorantha), but hopefully the worldview they present is helpful for providing the internal perspective of an initiate. 

These are great! I really enjoyed the one about Babeester's role in the harvest. It feels like a logical development of her runes and conceptual nature, and I'm wondering if it can be tied into her role in the Elven pantheon as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

These are great! I really enjoyed the one about Babeester's role in the harvest. It feels like a logical development of her runes and conceptual nature, and I'm wondering if it can be tied into her role in the Elven pantheon as well. 

Yes, see here:

and here:

• Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/