Resizing Armor

Arcadiagt5

One thing that's come up a couple of times in my games is the PCs finding armor not in their SIZ. Thus far I've arbitrarily set a limit of +/2 SIZ for something to be wearable, possibly requiring a Craft roll to make the adjustments. 

Has this been an issue for anyone else, and what would you suggest? 

On 10/29/2020 at 11:36 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

One thing that's come up a couple of times in my games is the PCs finding armor not in their SIZ. Thus far I've arbitrarily set a limit of +/2 SIZ for something to be wearable, possibly requiring a Craft roll to make the adjustments. 

Has this been an issue for anyone else, and what would you suggest? 

Take it to an armorer, to have it reworked.

Edited by g33k
Rypo ... ;-)

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

Rake it to an armorer, to have it reworked.

Sure, but I'm looking for some logical limits on how that can be done, especially without breaking an enchantment. An enchanted cuirass is fairly rigidly sized after all, to what extent does make sense for someone with a different SIZ to the original owner to be able to wear it effectively, even with an armourer adjusting it? 

1 hour ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Sure, but I'm looking for some logical limits on how that can be done, especially without breaking an enchantment. An enchanted cuirass is fairly rigidly sized after all, to what extent does make sense for someone with a different SIZ to the original owner to be able to wear it effectively, even with an armourer adjusting it? 

I would said that it is sad if the enchanted cuirass doesn't fit  :)

I don't find any rules in rqg, I may miss something ? Before your post, I was still using the previous one (size range 6-10 / 11-15 /16-20 / 21-25)

then if you want to change this range, you break any enchantment

but I would say it depends : if the enchantment is localized to a small part, like a disc or an ornament (for example you touch the disc and you run a light spell ) you can keep it. If the enchantment is for the full armor (for some reasons, runes cover all the armor, or if you allow somme armor enchantment), that is broken

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Thus far I've arbitrarily set a limit of +/2 SIZ for something to be wearable, possibly requiring a Craft roll to make the adjustments. 

That's what we use, generally.

2 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

An enchanted cuirass is fairly rigidly sized after all, to what extent does make sense for someone with a different SIZ to the original owner to be able to wear it effectively, even with an armourer adjusting it? 

We often play that enchanted equipment resizes to fit the wearer.

That is always the case for rings, in my games.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Cuirasses don't cover that much of the body, though. They have about the same coverage as a men's tank top does (if that! If you look at the positioning of the shoulder straps on triple-disc cuirasses, many of them covered only the center of the chest.), and are generally split into front and back plates joined by adjustable ties. And metal armor was thin, historically. Bronze armor of antiquity tended towards an average thickness of 1 mm (0.04 in). It wouldn't be trivial to reshape the curve of the cuirass or weld additional bronze on, but it wouldn't be impossible, either. 

There are armors that are more rigid and less resizable- the linothorax, leather armors- but those armors are significantly less likely to be looted or enchanted. 

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

5 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

is the PCs finding armor not in their SIZ

The Adventures book from the GM screen pack has the following rules, from the writeup for Old Grave (p45):

The war panoply of Berevenenos is wrought of the finest
craftsmanship of his age, as befits a king of his status and
influence, with mighty and unique enchantments laid upon
some of it. Fashioned and fitted for a human male of SIZ 18,
the armor might be altered to fit another person of SIZ 16
to 19, at a cost of 10 L per piece and point of SIZ modified.

It makes sense to me.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Thanks all, it seems that a +/- 2 is reasonable, unless I decide to go with magic armour automatically resizing itself as part of the enchantment. 

I would charge an extra point or two of POW for that, when enchanting it.

Edited by tnli

On 10/30/2020 at 11:47 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Thanks all, it seems that a +/- 2 is reasonable, unless I decide to go with magic armour automatically resizing itself as part of the enchantment. 

I think +/-2 is good.  I might even add a touch of complexity, say that it's +/- (2d2-1) of SIZ, depending on the skill & intentions of the craftsman.

I wouldn't allow unlimited resizing with just an extra 1 point of POW.  Maybe an extra +/-2 per POW.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Stormbringer and it's spin off/variants used to give a SIZ +?- for various types of armor. The idea being that something like mail, which is flexible, can fit more people than something that is rigid, such as plate.

Per Magic World (I think the latest iteration) 

Soft Leather: +/-2

Leather & Rings, Mail, Half Plate: +/-1

Full Plate: -1 (only)

Hard Leather, Leather & Wood: No

RQ3 also had some rules for SIZ, but grouped in into increments of 5 SIZ, with larger armor being heavier.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Real World, for what it's worth -

I get the impression that a scale mail hauberk was a one- size -fits- most item.  Probably +/- more than two SIZ points.   It's essentially a metal reinforced overcoat.  Think large - average- or small.

Helmets would be worn with a leather or cloth cap or liner, to cushion the head when someone actually hits the helmet.  Adjust the thickness of your liner and you have re-sized the helmet.  Helmets were actually mass produced at least once in historical but still ancient times (Roman empire, production in Gaul) and I doubt they had exact sizes like modern hats.