Nilusa as Trueford wyter?

coffeemancer

I summon the BRP forum think-tank!

DO not read further if you want to go into the LOST VALLEY scenario with virgin eyes.

[spoiler] In my current game I am running the players through the Lost Valley scenario and they have successfully performed a the heroquest "I fought WE won" to unite all the people of the valley against the company of the manticore. They also brought the magic stones with them and in negotiating with Nilusa, the spirit of the river, for passage across th e water with half their army they gave her the salmon stone and said they wanted her to be the wyter of the clan (as they are set on making the locals form a clan).

As of now, she has not answered but did split the water for them (Moses style) and reluctanrly didnt drown the PC who stupidly went into the water to negotiate with her.

So what I am wondering is this: Would she work as a wyter? is this a desireable thing for a spirit? would the people accept this you think? what is required for someone to be her priest? do you think any of the npcs are a good candidate?

any other thougts?

I also expect that a shrine will have to be erected, probably with the salmon stone as a center piece.

[/spoiler]

Edited by coffeemancer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

So what I am wondering is this: Would she work as a wyter? is this a desireable thing for a spirit? would the people accept this you think? what is required for someone to be her priest? do you think any of the npcs are a good candidate?

Yes, a river spirit would make a good wyter, especially if it is the spirit of a portion of the river, rather than the whole river.

Spirits get worshipped as a wyter, so it is good for the spirit.

People would accept it, if it meant they could settle by the river, were protected from floods and could use the water for irrigation.

I would use the standard rules for priesthood, so POW 18 and perhaps something river-based. It all depends on his much she wants a priest.

I am not allowed to read any of the current RQ scenarios, so can't comment on any of the NPCs. Why not have a PC Priest?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think the chief of a clan has to be the wyter priest, but I might be mistaken there.

Reading up on wyters, It says in the book that "these magical entities have become wyters through heroquests that bind the community together"
Would the actions of the PC's so far qualify? that is, performing "I fought WE won" and giving the salmonstone to Nilusa. 
And if so, would that make the PC who gave Nilusa the stone the wyter priest (and thus probably chief of the new clan?)

Edited by coffeemancer
jesus wanted it that way

2 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

Reading up on wyters, It says in the book that "these magical entities have become wyters through heroquests that bind the community together"
Would the actions of the PC's so far qualify? that is, performing "I fought WE won" and giving the salmonstone to Nilusa. 

As I said, I am banned from reading RQG Scenarios at the moment, so cannot comment on specifics.

But, performing "I Fought We Won" looks like the kind of thing that might accept a spirit as a wyter. If not, then performing another HeroQuest should work.

2 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

And if so, would that make the PC who gave Nilusa the stone the wyter priest (and thus probably chief of the new clan?)

Maybe, maybe not. that is the kind of thing that can be argued about in a game. 

It might make them the head of a bloodline, though.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

4 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

Personally, I think that these will get the spirit's attention, but that you need something more "personal" to get her to agree to be the wyter.  I think more along the lines of a courtship ritual here.  Might not need to be the Three Gifts to Woo Ernalda, but this is a River Spirit and depending on what powers you seek from her, she is likely to want something of a "consort".  (Years ago in my Imther campaign, the PC's settled a new colony along the Elf Sea by one of the rivers.  One of their actions was to court/woo the river spirit - one of the PC's ended up jumping into the water to be with the river; a child with aqua or teal colored skin appeared in the colony at some point subsequently which signified that the river spirit had agreed to aid them.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Personally, I think that these will get the spirit's attention, but that you need something more "personal" to get her to agree to be the wyter.  I think more along the lines of a courtship ritual here.  Might not need to be the Three Gifts to Woo Ernalda, but this is a River Spirit and depending on what powers you seek from her, she is likely to want something of a "consort".  (Years ago in my Imther campaign, the PC's settled a new colony along the Elf Sea by one of the rivers.  One of their actions was to court/woo the river spirit - one of the PC's ended up jumping into the water to be with the river; a child with aqua or teal colored skin appeared in the colony at some point subsequently which signified that the river spirit had agreed to aid them.)

Interesting. 

So, our intrepid PC has allready gifted the river (even if I dont know why she'd love that stone so much the heroquest said it could make a river your friend) are there any rituals for wooing a water entity?

(or naybe I will have to invent one)

Man, I know SO little about the water part of Gloranthan myth...

46 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

So, our intrepid PC has allready gifted the river (even if I dont know why she'd love that stone so much the heroquest said it could make a river your friend) are there any rituals for wooing a water entity?

Probably need to invent one, but maybe she wants the PC's to create her a Bath (i.e. pool, pond) where she can comfortably dwell.  Such a place would need to be consecrated and defended before she can move in.  Maybe it requires some ritual objects:  rainwater fresh from the Sky, the first dew drops of a Waterday morning, a mirror (ideally of sea-metal, but perhaps silver is acceptable?), a comb made from the ribs of a fish, and some of her favorite fish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Probably need to invent one, but maybe she wants the PC's to create her a Bath (i.e. pool, pond) where she can comfortably dwell.  Such a place would need to be consecrated and defended before she can move in.  Maybe it requires some ritual objects:  rainwater fresh from the Sky, the first dew drops of a Waterday morning, a mirror (ideally of sea-metal, but perhaps silver is acceptable?), a comb made from the ribs of a fish, and some of her favorite fish.

Sounds like a shrine, sort of. One will definetively have to be created. 

4 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

The Yelm-Oslir rite is used by sun domers to woo river spirits, to get irrigation etc.

Orlanth and the Scarf of Mist could be used to woo a water sprit.

Vadrus and the Blue Woman could also be used, but it might be too rough.

Orlanth Frees Heler might work, although that is freeing a trapped water spirit.

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

The Yelm-Oslir rite is used by sun domers to woo river spirits, to get irrigation etc.

Orlanth and the Scarf of Mist could be used to woo a water sprit.

Vadrus and the Blue Woman could also be used, but it might be too rough.

Orlanth Frees Heler might work, although that is freeing a trapped water spirit.

Ah! Good man! 
Just the kind of quest I need!