Played 7e for the first time

GothmogIV

I started playing CoC in 1983, when I was 13. We played 2nd edition, then 5th edition, for decades. After a long pause (aka 'adulthood': jobs, wives, kids, homes, work) we started playing again last night, this time using 7e, and using Roll20 as a VTT. I used "The Edge of Darkness" from the 6e rule book, and just...ran it without much adjustment. I loved creating and sharing player handouts on the VTT. That was great! 

For a long time Keeper like me, I found the change in characteristics (d100 vs. 3d8) to be jarring. I miss the resistance table. I will never, ever, under any circumstance, game master a chase (those rules are insane). But overall, I found it to be a pleasant experience. The hardest part was encouraging my players to avoid meta-game thinking, but after 35+ years of playing, I imagine it's unavoidable. 

I am also currently working on a MagicWorld (-ish) BRP game, which is still much more like 5e CoC than 7e. 

So, that all happened. 😁

• Like 3

I'm a relatively new keeper for CoC (approx 7mnth) and have only played 7e.

I can totally see the issues with Chases... on paper/in theory, and I was also reluctant to run them.

I think, like many others, the impression given by the rulebook is that immersion will be broken by the setup process and mechanical nature of running them.

However I have now utilised the system with two separate groups (in the majority as part of the Genius Loci scenario), doing both foot and car chases and I can actually confirm what many others have concluded... Chases play far far better than they read in the book. They were actually very enjoyable, especially when everyone participates in the story telling of the events.

Personally, I found the key was prepping the initial 'math' in advance. Having everyone's dex and mov rates written down, just asking for the CON roll and narrating the results whilst assigning the placements of Pursuers and Fleers.

Trying to streamline this initial setup, as a Keeper, so the mechanics of it wasn't a distraction to the players... That's my suggestion and what worked for me.

There's a few comments on the chase system throughout the forums. Now that people have been running them for a longer period of time, I'd be interested to hear any further thoughts the community has on the topic, especially those who were initially reluctant to run them and subsequently have given it a try.

Can I also add, that as a relative 'newbie', I think this community is excellent. I wish I'd come to the party sooner. I have never enjoyed RPGs as much, or had as much fun with my friends as I have since discovering this.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Ema Nymton
Spelling
  • Like 5

On 11/3/2020 at 4:53 AM, GothmogIV said:

I will never, ever, under any circumstance, game master a chase (those rules are insane).

I concur with @Ema Nymton -- the chase rules read a bit overly mechanical, but once you have grasped the basic system, they play really well, and, most importantly, really fast. The few times I've run a chase scene, there was much excitement and action. I wasn't running them very differently before, but they were effectively "ad hoc" action scenes, and therefore a bit organic and unstructured. This often caused players to be unclear about what they can do and what they can reach each turn. The chase rules as written provide a better structure that removes this uncertainty and lets the players focus on the scene so it was an improvement overall for me.

The rules are not totally perfect though and there was a need to change them a bit when they would result in situations that didn't make total sense.

19 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

So... what replace the resistance table?

Just opposed POW rolls -- highest success level wins. On a tie, highest POW wins.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !