Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - final update, 31 December 2022

Nick Brooke

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 14 March 2022
  • Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 13 April 2022

Phew! Just back from Chaosium Con. Updated again on 13 April: now contains 794 titles. We have a new Platinum best-seller in Korean: Phantom Blue Mist has sold more than 1,000 digital copies, the first Korean title to do so.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Phew! Just back from Chaosium Con. Updated again on 13 April: now contains 794 titles. We have a new Platinum best-seller in Korean: Phantom Blue Mist has sold more than 1,000 digital copies, the first Korean title to do so.

I wish somebody would translate those Korean scenarios.  I would love to see if they are any good.

• Like 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 11 May 2022

Updated again on 11 May: now contains 815 entries. Also refreshed the Electrum and Silver best-seller medals (a tedious manual exercise).

• Like 4

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 13 June 2022

Updated again on 13 June: now contains 829 listings. Recent best-seller medals refreshed. In case it's useful, here is a list of the English-language titles released in the last 12 months or so that are already Electrum best-sellers (over 250 copies sold):

* available in print.

Edited by Nick Brooke
List refreshed on 10-Jul-22, several new entries.
  • Like 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 10 July 2022

Updated again on 10 July, inc. refreshed medals and reviews. Quick apology: I didn't catch a couple of the latest print-on-demand releases, but that's because they've been coming out so fast! If you ever want to see all the print-on-demand titles available from the Miskatonic Repository, use the Format filter at top left and select Print, or follow this link: Miskatonic Repository in Print.

You've probably heard it already, but Viral went viral, getting a Gold best-seller medal (over 500 copies sold) just three months after release: that's a record for English language titles on the Miskatonic Repository. (A Korean title holds the overall record, of course: 11 days for World of Snow and Rain (눈과 비로 만든 세계), which just went Platinum (over 1,000 sold)). If you already bought Viral, you'll find some expanded bonus content added, including an extended prologue and optional alternate ending. Just log in and visit your Library or the product page to collect it.

• Thanks 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 29 July 2022

Updated again on 29 July. Expect a flurry of new scenarios in the next week or so, as the participants in this summer's Storytelling Collective's Write Your First Adventure course are about to graduate...

Alex Guillotte has been having a good month: as well as Viral (co-authored with Bud), his scenarios The Pipeline and The Grindhouse: Volume One (co-authored with Ian Christiansen) got their Gold best-seller medals in July. All three titles are available in print. (So is Field of Screams, by Al "Diesel" Smith, whose new scenario Cursed has just been released)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MJRRPG said:

I've been having a lot of fun (excel is fun go away) messing around with this to find mean/median page counts/prices to help price my stuff. Looking forward to seeing the wave of new titles coming in soon.

I've been sharing some pricing observations on the Storytelling Collective's Discord. Here's the gist of it: Call of Cthulhu scenarios in English on the Miskatonic Repository average around 20 cents per page. If you price yours much above that, I'd expect to see some quality original artwork, fancy maps & handouts, and the like. Always value what you create; we don't recommend "Pay What You Want" (as most people want to pay nothing). Customers like to pay prices denominated as $xx.99 or $xx.95 rather than $xx.00, that's just human nature. If you aren't selling to humans, other rules apply.

And yes, I'm braced for the incoming wave. There's a reason I tidied up the Catalogue before the end of July...

• Thanks 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 18 August 2022

Updated again on 18 August 2022, including many graduate pieces from the Storytelling Collective's "Write Your First Adventure" workshop. Now lists more than 890 titles.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 25 September 2022

Updated again on 25 September 2022.

I crunched some numbers for friends just now: the average price per page of English-language titles on the Miskatonic Repository (excluding free, Pay What You Want and deterrent prices) is 15-20 cents.

The median price (i.e. most common) is $3.99, and the median page-count is 26 pages.

I hope this helps community content creators to value their work appropriately. All the information I used for this analysis is available in the Catalogue. Best-seller medals are now regularly updated, but please let me know if I missed one!

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 15 October 2022

Updated again on 15 October 2022. New format for the review listings; several new bundles, including the Halloween 2022 Collection and the Miskatonic Repository Convention (which is happening even as I type this update!).

And speaking of bundles, every single Call of Cthulhu scenario published following the Summer 2022 Write Your First Adventure workshop is now a Silver bestseller, with over 100 copies sold. (I understand the next course will run in November)

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 14 November 2022

Updated again on 14 November: now contains over 950 entries. The November 2022 "Write Your First Adventure" workshop is underway, so we can look forward to a big content drop and a new bundle after the month ends.

And a quick heads-up: this version of the Catalogue is now over two years old, and I intend to stop updating it in the New Year. My current plan is to launch a new version in 2023 (keeping the same low price and regular updates), perhaps with some extra bells and whistles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 29 November 2022
  • Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - updated 20 December 2022

Updated again on 20 December, for the penultimate time: now contains 1,018 entries. I hope you've found something you've enjoyed on the Miskatonic Repository this year, whether or not the Catalogue helped. Please consider leaving a rating or even a short review for any title you were particularly impressed by: it's greatly appreciated by authors, artists and other potential customers.

I'll wrap up this version of the Catalogue on 31 December 2022, and will be back with something fresh in the New Year.

• Like 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Miskatonic Repository Catalogue - final update, 31 December 2022

Final update. The Miskatonic Repository Catalogue now contains all releases from the community content store's first five years, with over 1,030 items listed, and will no longer be updated. 

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1