Classic Fantasy Unearthed Companion Spell List

threedeesix

"Are the 100 new spells also unique from the level 4-5 spells in the Expert supplement?"

In regards to the above question, here is a list of all of the spells being added to the upcoming Classic Fantasy Unearthed Companion. There are actually quite a few more spells than the 100 I may have mentioned. Closer to 200 actually. I guess I was on a roll when I wrote them. 

Some of the spells published in the Expert Set have been moved around in the Rank structure. Now typically available at a lower Rank then before. This was done to maintain overall power level consistency.

Disclaimer: There is always the chance that some spells may be removed for space limitations, however, any that are will be made available in some format at a later date. 

Arcane Rank 1

Acid Arrow
Alarm
Armour
Bind
Chill Touch
Dancing Lights
Detect Illusion
Detect Undead
Enlarge (Reversible)
Grease
Jump
Leonard's False Trap
Magic Aura
Shield (Revised)
Spider Climb
Unseen Servant

Arcane Rank 2

Alter Self
Enfeeblement
ESP
Forget
Flame Arrow
Gust of Wind
Hold Undead
Flame Arrow
Infravision
Leonard's Tiny Magic Hut
Minute Meteors
Protection from Mundane Missiles
Pyrotechnics
Scare
Spectral Hand
Stinking Cloud
Vampiric Touch

Arcane Rank 3

Big Interposing Hand
Cloud Kill
Cone of Cold
Conjure Elemental
Demi-Shadow Monsters
Distance Distortion
Hold Any
Leonard's Secure Cottage
Passwall
Shadow Door
Shadow Magic
Solid Fog
Summon Shadow
Teleport
Wall of Force
Word of Power - Stun

Arcane Rank 4

Anti-Magic Shell
Big Grasping Hand
Control Undead
Control Weather
Death Spell
Demi-Shadow Magic
Disintegrate
Duo-Dimension
Enchant Item
Fire Ball (Delayed Blast)
Flesh to Stone (Reversible)
Invisible Stalker
Limited Wish
Monster Summoning, Greater
Permanent Illusion
Phase Door
Programmed Illusion
Project Image
Prismatic Spray
Prismatic Wall
Reincarnation, Arcane
Shadow Walk
Sphere of Invulnerability
Teleport without Error
True Seeing
Word of Power - Blind

Arcane Rank 5

Antipathy/Sympathy
Astral Spell
Big Clenching Fist
Disjunction
Energy Drain
Gate
Irresistible Dance
Mass Charm
Maze
Meteor Shower
Monster Summoning, Ultimate
Permanency
Prismatic Sphere
Symbol
Trap the Soul
Wish
Word of Power - Kill
Time Stop

Divine Rank 1

Combine
Detect Poison
Dust Devil
Flame Blade
Invisibility to Undead
Magical Stone
Messenger
Sanctuary

Divine Rank 2

Aid
Call Lightning
Flame Walk
Glyph of Warding
Obscurement
Pyrotechnics
Remove Paralysis
Water Walk

Divine Rank 3

Aerial Servant
Air Walk
Animal Growth (Reversible)
Animal Summoning II
Anti-Plant Shell
Commune
Commune with Nature
Control Temperature
Control Winds
Dispel Evil (Reversible)
Flame Shield
Free Action
Insect Plague
Pass Plant
Plane Shift
Produce Fire (Reversible)
Quest
Raise Dead (Reversible)
Repel Insects
Rock to Mud
True Seeing
Wall of Fire

Divine Rank 4

Animal Summoning III
Animate Object
Anti-Animal Shell
Blade Barrier
Conjure Animals
Conjure Fire Elemental (Reversible)
Find the Path
Forbiddance
Heal (Reversible)
Heroes Feast
Live Oak
Part Water
Speak with Monsters
Stone Tell
Transport Via Plants
Turn Wood
Wall of Thorns
Water to Dust (Reversible)
Weather Summoning
Word of Recall

Divine Rank 5

Animate Rock
Astral Spell
Changestaff
Confusion
Conjure Earth Elemental (Reversible)
Control Weather
Creeping Doom
Earthquake
Exaction
Finger of Death
Fire Storm (Reversible)
Gate
Holy Word (Reversible)
Metal to Wood
Regenerate (Reversible)
Reincarnation, Divine (Reversible)
Restoration (Reversible)
Resurrection (Reversible)
Succor
Sun Ray
Symbol
Wind Walk

• Like 6

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 1 month later...

I never saw the need to have magic separated into arcane, divine etc, DnD doesn't. The spells are identical, just the source is different. It would be easier to assign a level to the type of deity, then make the intensity / magnitude be based on 10% (could be more) on Pact skill.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 7:49 AM, RogerDee said:

I never saw the need to have magic separated into arcane, divine etc, DnD doesn't. The spells are identical, just the source is different. It would be easier to assign a level to the type of deity, then make the intensity / magnitude be based on 10% (could be more) on Pact skill.

D&D has always had mage spells and cleric spells (arcane and divine). From 3rd edition on, the spells have been grouped together, but there are still spells only a mage can cast and spells only a cleric can cast. And in 1st and 2nd edition, all spells were separated. Not only that, a cleric version of one spell could have completely different ranges, durations, and so on, then the same mage spell.

Just not sure of your point.

• Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

On 12/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, ReluctantGM said:

Is there a projected release date for this?

Yes, a few months ago.  😉

Sorry, still plugging away. I can say, I'm closer today then yesterday.

• Like 4

On 1/7/2021 at 2:11 AM, threedeesix said:

D&D has always had mage spells and cleric spells (arcane and divine). From 3rd edition on, the spells have been grouped together, but there are still spells only a mage can cast and spells only a cleric can cast.

Just not sure of your point.

Yeah i[ have never seen the point in this - magic is well magic; just the source may be different. So to use the example from PF Deep Magic, mages are using Vril, while Clerics have a divine source. But the spells remain the same.

Magic can be such a big part of describing a setting, its metaphysics and how it operates. Not all magic is created equally, the purposes of its users and their capabilities come into play.
I prefer spells for Clerics to match the nature of whatever god(s) they worship. Not just choosing willy nilly from a big list but prayed for an granted.
Similarly, I think it matters what culture a Wizard hails from and that worldview. People from the desert will develop different magical practices than people from the frozen north.
Some magic might be outwardly seem similar between different traditions, but I'd like there to be variables I can tweak to better suit one or another.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Magic can be such a big part of describing a setting, its metaphysics and how it operates. Not all magic is created equally, the purposes of its users and their capabilities come into play.
I prefer spells for Clerics to match the nature of whatever god(s) they worship. Not just choosing willy nilly from a big list but prayed for an granted.
Similarly, I think it matters what culture a Wizard hails from and that worldview. People from the desert will develop different magical practices than people from the frozen north.
Some magic might be outwardly seem similar between different traditions, but I'd like there to be variables I can tweak to better suit one or another.

Thing is magic is magic, just the source is different.

So have the power of the clerical spells be 10% of Pact skill. So someone with a high level, say 90% is calling down some serious heavenly power. Those with lower levels can call on less. so mages have Shaping, clerics have Pact. All other classes are essentially using Heroic abilities to boost their abilities, or gaining access to Folk magic.

Ok, so I posted a list of all the spells I have been working on because people wanted to see it.

Now my thread has turned into why you don't like a particular game mechanic. I'm not saying it isn't a valid opinion, just that it has nothing to do with my list of spells. Your problem is really with the way D&D set up is spell hierarchy, not with what spells I'm including in my own product. After all, I already established the way it works in the core book which has been out a few years now. And D&D established it a wee bit longer ago than that. I think it's too late for me to change it now, even if I wanted to. 

Wouldn't this be a great topic for another thread? I have no problem with "why did you included this or that spell", or "where is power word tickle". Arguing about game mechanics in a thread about a list of spells wasn't really the intent of the post.

Rod

• Like 6