RuneQuest Rules Q&A

This is a thread whose purpose is specifically to collate questions to (potentially) address in future Rune Fixes columns, or as official corrections. Rules questions about the following products are accepted here:

First and foremost, it cannot be stressed enough that the rules are guidelines for the gamemaster and must occasionally need to be interpreted when a question arises. No set of rules can accommodate every permutation and interaction between the various sub-systems, nor should they.

When there’s an potential conflict or unclear area, it is the gamemaster’s job to adjudicate, revising later if necessary. When in doubt, make a decision and move on.

The play is the thing, not getting it “right”.

Please post your entries in the form of a single simple, direct question, with references.

Please take any arguments, complaints or discussion to another thread. 

Before you post, please make sure that you have:

Please note that the RuneQuest Core Rules Questions I  has mostly been transferred to the RuneQuest Glorantha Corrections and Q&A which is searchable.

• Please be aware that, Sorcery is presented to allow Lhankor Mhy adventurers to be created. Future supplements will detail sorcerers from other cultures and provide more details of the sorcery system.
  • Please be aware that corrections are still being collected for the Red Book of Magic, please put them there.

New answers in this thread are slowly moved to the Q&A...

When in doubt, make a decision and move on.

Edited by Scotty
updated 28 Dec 2020
  • Like 2
  • Scotty changed the title to RuneQuest Rules Q&A
  • Scotty pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, Oracle said:

Does a PDF for the Second Printing of RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha exist?
If I look at my orders at Chaosium's web site, I still see only the PDF for the First Printing.

Yes. It's now available on our webstore and DrivethruRPG. Please download from your accounts.

Please note there is a Clarifications, Corrections and Additions update here:

CHA4028 RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha – Second Printing Clarifications, Corrections and Additions 1.0.1

• Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

A small axe does Slashing damage, and p. 203 states that a throwing axe doesn't do impaling damage. The weapon table on p. 212 states damage typ for throwing axe (same weapon as small axe) as Impaling, though. Would it be correct to assume that the damage type should be Slashing and the weapon table is in error?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I believe you can skip levels (going from Protection 1 to Protection 3 by paying for levels 2 and 3, i.e. 2*50L + 3*50L = 250L) You can also start at higher levels (learn Bladesharp 3 from scratch by paying 50L + 2*50L + 3*50L = 300L)

yes. Previous answer clarified.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Learning Bladesharp 1 alone takes one week...

Learning Bladesharp 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 5, and 6 takes.... one week... 😵

Yes.

4 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm obviously missing something! (especially when we remember to add the rule that says if you defeat a spirit in Spirit Combat, you can force it to give you knowledge of one of its spells - instantly!)

Yes, as the Q&A says, the mechanism of spell teaching is not discussed, but it's a guaranteed and safe way to learn a new spirit magic. Spirit combat is a dangerous way of learning new spirit magic if you are not a shaman. Normally you can't initiate spirit combat,  and if you win the spirit may have inappropriate, forbidden, or no magic for you to take. You will also not have a focus for the spell (created as part of the week long ritual). 

6 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Yeah, and I think that's basically at the core of all these questions.

Personally, I think it makes the most amount of sense (in keeping with the inconsistency of the time to learn) to say it's the focus that takes a week to make, but the learning is almost instant. (however, I recognise that it's not ideal, because a focus isn't strictly necessary).

Without something of a mechanic, it appears that the rule is entirely arbitrary (which, obviously, all rules are...)

I covered most of the concepts of spell teaching in this thread: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/12165-shamans-teaching-spirit-magic/ 

Overall, it's an out of game event as it's not the stuff of adventures. 

13 hours ago, resurrected duck said:

In the Runequest:adventures in glorantha, page 290, Chalana arroy entry, the associated cult Storm Bull  Grants Chalana Arroy worshipers the chance
to bring a warrior out of the effects of the Berserker spell.
The chances for success are equal to POW×5 for a healer.

The Berserker's entry page 321 however asks for a  CHA×5 roll.

What is the correct statement? POW×5 or CHA×5? Or both?

This is corrected in the upcoming Cults of Glorantha, Chalana Arroy:

The probability of success equals a roll of the healer’s CHA×4 on D100 for an initiate and CHA×5 for a High Healer.

• Like 1
On 2/24/2021 at 4:54 PM, eyraud said:

Abilities above 100% p. 144; and Combat with Skills Above 100%, p. 201

The rule about critical/special success chances is confusing/contradictory. To wit, the book states on p. 144:

While actual chance of success remains no better than 95%, the chance of a special or critical success is based on the final modified chance when making an opposed roll.

and the example: 

Example: The Lunar warrior-magician described above with 120% Kopis skill has a 24% chance of a special success, and a 6% chance of a critical success. If his skill is reduced to 100% (while reducing his opponent’s skill by –20%), his chance of a special success is based on 100%, and thus a 20% chance of a special and a 5% chance of a critical.

p. 202 (Subject begins on 201 but relevant paragraph is on 202, second bullet: 

While the actual chance of hitting remains no better than 95% (due to rolls of 96–00 failing), the chance of a special or critical success continues to increase or decrease, based on the final modified chance of success. As with other skills or abilities, the final modified value is always the one used to determine the chance of special or critical successes, as well as fumbles. Thus, a Wind Lord with a 150% sword skill has a 30% of a special success, and an 8% chance of a critical hit.

Page 202, second bullet, last sentence, remove:

Thus, a Wind Lord with a 150% sword skill has a 30% of a special success, and an 8% chance of a critical hit.

Thanks for spotting this, the example should read:

Thus, a Wind Lord with a 150% sword skill, reduces their opponent by 50%, making their modified skill 100% and so has a 20% of a special success, and an 5% chance of a critical hit.

Using "final modified value" would cap critical/specials at 5/20 ALL THE TIME for any combat/opposed roll for the higher skilled participant, as their skill is always reduced to 100 (as explained in the example).

Yes, except in rare cases where after the reduction the value is still over 100%

e.g 25% vs 150% becomes 0% (5%) vs 125%. Unless this is a dramatic moment, I would suggest using the automatic success rule on page 141, as it's hardly a fair fight.

Or, the rule should be clarified to something like "special/critical chance is based on the skill value before the skill above 100% reduction."

see above.

so, the only time one would get the "full" critical/special percentages would be when surprising someone or being involved in melee with someone not actively parrying/dodging ...?

Yes. When the roll is unopposed or the final is still over 100%

Edited by Scotty
updated and added example
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, eyraud said:

thanks, I probably would have gone the other way if I was making a ruling at the table, but 🤷‍♂️

That's great, it's where most of these ruling should take place in the context of your game.

so, the only time one would get the "full" critical/special percentages would be when surprising someone or being involved in melee with someone not actively parrying/dodging ...?

I have updated the answer above to reflect this.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, Runeblogger said:

On page 342, under Summon Elemental, it says: "Rune varies depending on elemental being summoned". I think it should be specified that initiates of the Seven Mothers can cast this spell using their Moon rune. Otherwise Vostor can't cast his Summon Fire Elemental (small) spell. I mean, it is not immediately obvious that the Red Goddess has control over the Young Elementals.

Seven Mothers initiates can Summon / Dismiss Elementals (max 1pt) using the Moon rune, but cannot Summon / Dispel any form of Air Elemental. 

• Thanks 2