Spirit world

Jokum

And then there are always complications. 

Instead of the Spider of Time, the Moon Woman is sitting in the cave offering the choice of drinks, but are they the ones that are expected?  Or does she have some nefarious plan?

Or the task is to Cleanse the Stables of Havan Vor (i.e. the City of the Dead).  What beast spirits were in the stables?  Are there broo spirits there?  Or are the stables filled with Disease Spirits, or a Disease Master, that must be driven out? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Continuing on with some thoughts on Flesh Man.  Assuming that he has perhaps aided Daka Fal in establishing his court and procedures (i.e. Flesh Man has honored and remembered his own Ancestor, Grandfather Mortal)

Just to throw in some more, there was another separator before Daka Fal - Larnste the Soul Arranger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, Jokum said:

The HeroQuest would follow the steps of Grandfather mortal and Fleshman. So, basically it would contain many parts of the Lightbringer Quest.

It could incorporate parts of the Story of Death as well as the Lightbringer Quest.

• Grandfather Mortal is killed by Humakt, trying out his new toy.
  • Flesh Man sees it and goes mad because of the consequences.
  • Grandfather Mortal walks the Path of the Dead and enters Hell.
  • Flesh Man travels the world, looking for someone madder than he is, or someone powerful enough to combat the world's madness.
  • Grandfather Mortal separates the Living from the Dead, putting each in its rightful place.
  • Flesh Man finds Eurmal, who is madder than he is, and Orlanth, who is powerful enough to combat the world's madness.
  • Grandfather Mortal separates the Corporal from the Discorporate, putting each in its rightful place.
  • Flesh Man goes to Hell and proves that mortals have a role to play in the Underworld.
  • Grandfather Mortal separates the Judge from the Judged and becomes Daka Fal, Judge of the Dead.
  • Flesh Man is judged and has a place in Hell.
  • Grandfather Mortal judges Orlanth and sends him to seek the Emperor.
  • Flesh Man returns from Hell intact but forevermore changed.
  • Grandfather Mortal remains in Hell as Judge of the Dead.

So, pick a mythlet and expand on it. Mix and match them, if you want.

8 hours ago, Jokum said:

But i don't know what happened to Fleshman in the Underworld? I'm planning him to be left behind and judged by Daka Fal himself while others continue rescuing Yelm: A Little kid under Arachne Solaras net says Fleshman can't come back from the Underworld. Fleshman would  then be interrogated and the quest bonuses would be partly based on his answers.

Some of the above mythlets might be useful.

8 hours ago, Jokum said:

Do you know any part from the myths where family and ancestors would be the central part of the story? I would add that in the quest If any proper is to be found.

Vingkot had something to do with ancestors, I think, or Maybe Heort. Firshala, in Griffin Mountain, has ancestor worship, as do the Trolls, through Kyger Litor, and the Aldryami.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 11/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jokum said:

I see the Summon specific ancestor or incarnate ancestor runespells very powerful, If any ancestral Heroes are known... ...and the bloodlines go back to Grandfather Mortal...

I would not allow the Ancestor spells to handle (capital H) Heroes (let alone gods). They’re outside the scope of the spells, IMO - it’s what Hero cults are for.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I would not allow the Ancestor spells to handle (capital H) Heroes (let alone gods). They’re outside the scope of the spells, IMO - it’s what Hero cults are for.

The Malkioni application appears to do just that, though - they use their ancestor worship to contact their founders' generation for intercession in at least one of Greg's stories.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

13 hours ago, David Scott said:

Just to throw in some more, there was another separator before Daka Fal - Larnste the Soul Arranger

Who probably left the world when the Spike did, so no one was separating the souls, so the living and dead got mixed up in the Darkness, and were only put right when Daka Fal took up the job. 

(local cognates for other cultures, obviously). 

9 hours ago, soltakss said:

Vingkot had something to do with ancestors, I think, or Maybe Heort.

I think Vingkot is the ancestor of all the Vinkgotling descended tribes, though his daughters are the deities through which they were normally worshipped and contacted. 

And then (details, at least for Ogorvale Summer, are a spoiler for the Dragon of Thunder Hills) this stopped being part of normal Orlanthi worship in the Second Age, along with many other changes to Orlanthi religion. Heort may have introduced some of the rites, but not everyone is a descendant of Heort. 

10 hours ago, soltakss said:

Firshala, in Griffin Mountain, has ancestor worship, as do the Trolls, through Kyger Litor, and the Aldryami.

There are multiple human ancestor traditions, small and large, all of which are restricted to summoning their own ancestors. In the Guide major pantheons list, every tradition with :20-form-man::20-form-spirit::20-form-man: is an ancestor worship tradition - Old Man and Old Woman among the hsunchen, Iste in the East, and Ebe in Kralorela, and of course Daka Fal. There are less important traditions elsewhere. 

And while ancestor worship is huge, it is also known among both the Aldryami and the Triolini. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Malkioni application appears to do just that, though - they use their ancestor worship to contact their founders' generation for intercession in at least one of Greg's stories.

It may depend on their afterlife, but it certainly seems possible for some heroes, I agree. 

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don’t know the details, but was that accomplished through DF magic, or did they merely Hero-worship an ancestor? 

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

I don’t know the details, but was that accomplished through DF magic, or did they merely Hero-worship an ancestor? 

Prince Hrestol didn't get to witness the details because he was not a descendant of Menena (unlike his wife). That points to ancestor worship.

Daka Fal wasn't named, but Malkion. Same thing, really, according to the Cults of Prax write-up of Daka Fal.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis