Omnichron

• 1 year later...

Sorry for not posting in ages!!!

I have been working hard on my roleplaying game Brent Jord (Burnt Earth) which is coming out at the end of the year on drivethrustuff (first in Norwegian then in english) - its for the FATE system, and have a more realistic tone then heroic pulp.

But after starting up a thread on what people want in a new sci-fi game (rpg.net), it looks like this old thought actually fits the build with a few things fixed.

A friend of mine is going to create a whole new vehicle creation system and vehicle combat rules for BRP, and I have made contact with Chaosium to find out about their licensing system.

This thread is going to be quite busy in the coming months, and hope this is a game people wants to see.

- Kjetil Kverndokken

Tea and Madness

One of the changes will be to this part of the timeline:

2458 – The Halycon Institute is founded in secrecy with several governments blessings. Its mission to map the extent and existence of humans with psionic abilities. Many innocent lives will be lost in experimentations that will never be known about.

I am going to remove psionics from the game and instead the Halycon Institute is working on something, a project called the EDEN gene - and is more on the lines of creating better humans etc.

Tea and Madness

So here we are back again to Omnichron.

I do hope we get the license to use BRP as the rules system, though removing what is not needed and add what is - though that might end up looking like a new percentile system, I'm unsure of how different it will be compared to BRP to not get licensed.

Anyway.

The setting will basically be very much like what you have read so far, but with a few adjustments based on the thread from rpg.net.

Also feel free to ask and nag about stuff, that only makes our minds think about new things and write even more.

What I do want to write a small bit about is spaceship technology - and here you guys can come in and give input to how you see the best fit to it. i will tomorrow scan a few sketch drawings of spaceships in the setting so you have a feeling for them.

Drive technology: There will be quite a few different types of drive tech among the ships. Since some of the older designs would still be used by pirates and poorer companies and nations. One of the basic drives for old designs used on longer journeys would be the nuclear pulse propulsion, basically using small nuclear blast to drive the ship forward. these fission based ships could reach 3-5% the speed of light. So if my maths (go easy with me as that is not my strong suit, but my friend which is helping me) are anywhere correct, that would make it possible for a ship from Earth to Pluto take about a month of travel, and 44 years to Alpha Centauri. Various version of this would be the main propulsion for all spaceships, because of its high effectiveness. For shorter range we are thinking the plasma drive/ion drive would be the proper one used.

The newest spaceships use fusion plants to power them.

Antimatter is something being researched in the setting

If you have any god suggestions or inputs here, feel free to come with suggestions

FTL Drive: No research has of yet found a way to make this come true, the energy amount is to huge, or the understanding of the universe physics have not become advanced enough. how the creators of the Gates have done it is a huge mystery, the only thing we know isthat they work.

Tea and Madness

Spaceship weapon tech: The most standard weapon tech is magnetic guns, rail and coil guns and missiles. Turrets use the coil tech since its easier to incorporate that into shorter barrels. While a few of the larger ships uses a spine mounted rail gun.

Lasers are beginning to see its use onboard ships utilizing fusion energy. But laser based weapons on ships are almost always huge and forward mounted weapons, some with rearfacing. The lasers can not be mounted on turrets yet, but the forward mounted ones have directed beams, so it can be used to cut through enemy hulls.

Missiles comes in several different types, from normal explosives all the way through fission and fusion warheads. Missiles are hard weapons to get good hits with from a distance if enemy ships have good anti missile/fighter coil turrets.

Some of the more experimental weapon tech is plasma based, one in the form of plasma filled cylinders that release the plasma on impact, the other is a seeking plasma burst that follows an ionized trail.

Tea and Madness

Spaceship weapon tech: The most standard weapon tech is magnetic guns, rail and coil guns and missiles. Turrets use the coil tech since its easier to incorporate that into shorter barrels. While a few of the larger ships uses a spine mounted rail gun.

Lasers are beginning to see its use onboard ships utilizing fusion energy. But laser based weapons on ships are almost always huge and forward mounted weapons, some with rearfacing. The lasers can not be mounted on turrets yet, but the forward mounted ones have directed beams, so it can be used to cut through enemy hulls.

Why the limitation on lasers? They are a fairly mature technology now and the US has already successfully tested a turret based laser system on an aircraft. Power is not likely to be a problem on a ship with a nuclear power plant (fission or fusion). Cooling might be an issue but the same is true of rail guns.

Missiles comes in several different types, from normal explosives all the way through fission and fusion warheads. Missiles are hard weapons to get good hits with from a distance if enemy ships have good anti missile/fighter coil turrets.

Nuclear warheads are, perhaps, wasted on spaceship to spaceship missiles. Since there is no atmosphere the blast is limited to contact and you can achieve a similar effect with a big lump of metal travelling at high speed (a so called kinetic kill munition - KKM) unless the target is really big. If you're expecting a high rate of interception for missiles then why stick a complex warhead on them? By the way if missiles can be intercepted then there's a good chance that coil gun rounds can be as well.

Some of the more experimental weapon tech is plasma based, one in the form of plasma filled cylinders that release the plasma on impact, the other is a seeking plasma burst that follows an ionized trail.

How does the weapon create an ionised trail in vacuum?

Edited by Camillus
grammar, spelling

Most are thematic ideas, feel free to indulge.

But lasers. to actually fire a beam powerful enough to be useful against more then missiles, energy is not the only problem, beam focus has something to do with that to. The laser weapon tested as an actual weapon needed quite a big aircraft to hold everything needed to fire a beam strong enough to be quite honest make very little damage.

Missiles, why nuclear? Well, to specify the warheads would embed themselves in the ship and detonate from the inside. KKM would over penetrate and go right through its target. Though lots of damage, its not a one hit marvel against a large spaceship. KKM is a great approach for orbital bombardment.

A coil round would be a weapon for shorter range and have a speed and rate quite higher then missiles.

Plasma, well that part we did not think on, it happens, though there are several other ways to do it, same principle as particle stream weapons

We want the tech to be believable, but also fit a theme for the setting.

Tea and Madness

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...