Worship role Magic Points Buff

Mossmac

2 hours ago, Mossmac said:

I know this will divide players but I often think of Humakti as cut apart from the community - almost an Outcast or 'Other' as his myth describes. This is perhaps balanced by the Powerful Sever Spirit spell and Truesword, Sword Trance etc they can cast. I see his followers as Stoic and grim.

I don't think any of this would be particularly disputed by anybody -- that sounds like by-the-book Humakt to me.

The cult is dominant in where you find larger bodies of troops as well such as city regiments where unity of large numbers can compensate for individuals who are runniing low on RP's. Humakti are not supposed to be optimised in small groups of adventure parties or going solo.

This kind of "esprit de corps" that compensates lower magic with military might and group discipline sounds more like Yelmalio phallanxes to me.

While Humakti fight in battles, they also are routinely hired as mercenaries for various expeditions, as bodyguards, or engage in duels (see Biturian Varosh's travels), and so on. So it would be very common to see a lone Humakti, or a couple Humakti, out on a mission in my Glorantha. YGWV from mine, of course. But if they can replenish their Rune magic only once a season, this has repercussions on some in-world stuff IMG:

1. Maybe they charge very high rates for their services, so that if a particular assignment requires them to spend a lot of their magic, they can afford to spend the rest of the season recovering (which means as a GM you need to fast-forward more often).
  2. Alternatively, maybe they use their magic very sparingly, relying instead mainly on their highly trained skills (which means players need to learn to spend wisely).

I haven't had to come up with a solution yet, though, so I haven't made up my mind.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

More generally, I am finding that the RP mechanism is making players risk-averse. They don't want to spend RP because they might need them later, and if they are out of RP then they don't want to do anything risky. I've seen this in Jeff's White Bull Campaign on YouTube as well, so it isn't just my group.

As a player, I'm finding myself way more likely to use RP than I was ever likely to use my Rune magic in RQ2 OR RQ3, partly because I never made Runepriest/Runelord, and so it was never reusable and partly because my rune spells were far less flexible than RPs. I think RPs are a more fun alternative to single use rune magic

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, Baron Wulfraed said:

Yeesh... expose them to RQ2! Where initiate rune spells were one-use and required sacrificing characteristic POW to regain.

They've played RQ3, where you didn't have reusable divine magic either, and that wasn't a problem. You can't miss something you never had, so you have to just go out there and take those risks. Once you have a mechanism that massively mitigates that risk, but then you lose access to that mechanism for a period of time, players stop taking the risks that they would have taken in older editions (because they had no choice).

• Like 1