Playing Runequest on Roll20

Beorne

5 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

This is an issue on Chrome only and effects handouts and character sheets that have been popped out. It was reported to Roll20 back in October and they have yet to acknowledge it in any meaningful manner never mind actually resolving it. 

Thanks, that is what i figured when it did not occur this morning in Firefox

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

7 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

This is an issue on Chrome only and effects handouts and character sheets that have been popped out. It was reported to Roll20 back in October and they have yet to acknowledge it in any meaningful manner never mind actually resolving it. 

Thanks for posting this. It's been driving me mad for a while now. I only use Chrome for Roll20.

Likewise, this is a really helpful thread. I personally have learned loads of new things to try.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

12 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

It is one very buggy piece of kit and irrationally so. AV is great on chrome, forget about using handouts. Hand outs work fine of Firefox, in fact everything does except AV! Safari is not supported at all, so who knows what fun one can have... sigh. But for now it is the Microsoft of the 90s, the only game in town (this analogy does break down and is not meant as a statement of facts, it is purely for entertainment purposes.., make cause, drowsiness, insanity baldness, female pattern hairiness communism...)

5 hours ago, David Scott said:

Thanks for posting this. It's been driving me mad for a while now. I only use Chrome for Roll20.

Likewise, this is a really helpful thread. I personally have learned loads of new things to try.

Yes, dvdmacateer and all you wonderful helpful people rock!

cheers!

1 hour ago, dvdmacateer said:

I have never used the built in AV since they ditched the third party service.

50 minutes ago, AndrewTBP said:

I’ve never used the Roll20 AV. 

Likewise. It was so terrible to use, that we moved to Zoom, which under the same circumstances has worked with no issues.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Oddly enough I've had varied experiences with the Roll20AV. For one game it never worked, and we use voice on Discord, and that was the game that was initially all players in Canberra. Conversely, we've always used it for the Perth games & barring the times when Roll20 has been failing on a larger level, it's usually worked well enough. 

3 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

I have never used the built in AV since they ditched the third party service. Everyone in your group must be on decent fibre broadband.  

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

Likewise. It was so terrible to use, that we moved to Zoom, which under the same circumstances has worked with no issues.

No, sir, dvdmacateer this is based off extensive research I did before deciding on finally on using Skype.

Same here David,Skype has its limitations, but, it seems to not fail (very often).

1 hour ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Oddly enough I've had varied experiences with the Roll20AV. For one game it never worked, and we use voice on Discord, and that was the game that was initially all players in Canberra. Conversely, we've always used it for the Perth games & barring the times when Roll20 has been failing on a larger level, it's usually worked well enough. 

We had that problem in the game I tried to help you play test.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Even with pita updates which log you out I prefer Skype especially with players on multiple continents. The small popup when it is minimised is handy when can't put a voice to a character. I only use voice not video. Sometimes I get brow beaten into using Discord and as a player it is mostly Discord  which usually has a tendency of at least one person roboting at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dvdmacateer said:

Adding markers for Occupation and Cult skills. Currently in the test game for Agility, Magic and Melee Weapon skills.
dots.png.d57432bf8806b35afd22b7fd0969b63b.png

Oh this will be excellent to have - I've been using a convention of adding * for occupational skills and # for cult skills to the skill name (which is occasionally risky) but this will be much better.

4 minutes ago, Glyph said:

this one image.png.5de4f896bcc56b43f6b48f4f2dd4d678.png

I'm using Edge as the browser (in case that makes a difference..)

Because of the recent update (HUZZAH!), the NPC sheet now handles criticals and specials correctly. Which, speaking as an eternal GM, I am very grateful for.

However this means that you have to set up the special damage type (S, I, C) in the dropdown just to the left of the HP column, or the roll template won’t work anymore.

• Like 1

• Scotty changed the title to Playing Runequest on Roll20
On 7/25/2021 at 1:18 AM, David Scott said:

I quite agree. I've added some macros - POW rolls and SR ordering at the very least. Many thanks to all who are contributing to this thread and @dvdmacateer for your work on the RQG character sheet.

• Like 1

I am having an interesting time with macros. Easy to create easy to use. Have clicked every radio button I could find (one) to show then to the payers and the are mystified. They can see the macro bar and interact with it but not the macros I have created.

Using a mac and Chrome

Edited by Bill the barbarian

23 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I am having an interesting time with macros. Easy to create easy to use. Have clicked every read button I could find (one) to show then to the payers and the are mystified. They can see the macro bar and interact with it but not the macros I have created.

Using a mac and Chrome

They will not see any dragged buttons or macros on your toolbar. When you edit a macro you have to set the macro to be  visible to the players and they have to go to their collections tab  and check the "In Bar" checkbox  all of which is explained in David Scott's post previously. 

Edited by dvdmacateer
  • Thanks 1

Is it worth having a game set up where folk can create macros and other people can see them work and copy them for their own games.  A sandbox?   It would need some to create the games it folk and make them GMs so that they can see behind the scenes...

Would this be valuable, or a waste of time?  It might also be a place for @dvdmacateer
to test things out, should he want?

Stephen

12 minutes ago, StephenMcG said:

Is it worth having a game set up where folk can create macros and other people can see them work and copy them for their own games.  A sandbox?   It would need some to create the games it folk and make them GMs so that they can see behind the scenes...

Would this be valuable, or a waste of time?  It might also be a place for @dvdmacateer
to test things out, should he want?

Stephen

As it happens @dvdmacateerdoes have such a test game set up. :)