Playing Runequest on Roll20

Beorne

I added turn order buttons for spells on the magic tab.  The sorcery and rune spell sections have one button. Aall rune spells go on SR 1 + boosting mps. Sorcery spells have minimum intensities but most of the MP cost / SR modifiers seem to come from the manipulation so rather than having a a button each spell I saved some space so that the spell name has more room. The spirit magic spells have a button for each spell. When pressed a prompt will show DSR+pts listed for the spell this can changed for variable spells or boosting.

spellto.jpg.e04a010c64331db578c726ac0e06cbef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/7/2021 at 3:20 PM, dvdmacateer said:

I added turn order buttons for spells on the magic tab.  The sorcery and rune spell sections have one button. Aall rune spells go on SR 1 + boosting mps. Sorcery spells have minimum intensities but most of the MP cost / SR modifiers seem to come from the manipulation so rather than having a a button each spell I saved some space so that the spell name has more room. The spirit magic spells have a button for each spell. When pressed a prompt will show DSR+pts listed for the spell this can changed for variable spells or boosting.

spellto.jpg.e04a010c64331db578c726ac0e06cbef.jpg

If @dvdmacateer is keeping a wishlist on the sheet's to-do list, may I suggest some mean to attach rune spells with runes. Simplest way I can think of would be adding a drop-down list from which to select a rune to use with each spell. The roll could still be made from the runes above, but the yearn for such an info on the sheet has come up in our game. As for now we duplicate the list of all knwon rune spells in the frame below and write after each spell which rune to use. I understand the layout would probably need some adjustment if runes are added this way... If someone has a better idea how to tackle this one, I'd be glad to hear!

4 hours ago, FlamePaps said:

If @dvdmacateer is keeping a wishlist on the sheet's to-do list, may I suggest some mean to attach rune spells with runes. Simplest way I can think of would be adding a drop-down list from which to select a rune to use with each spell. The roll could still be made from the runes above, but the yearn for such an info on the sheet has come up in our game. As for now we duplicate the list of all knwon rune spells in the frame below and write after each spell which rune to use. I understand the layout would probably need some adjustment if runes are added this way... If someone has a better idea how to tackle this one, I'd be glad to hear!

Graphics cannot be added to <select> dropdowns  on chrome.  The only other way to do it requires a lot of work.  There is something on the  Roll20 test server that might make it easier  at some point in the future .

Edited by dvdmacateer
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

Graphics cannot be added to <select> dropdowns  on chrome.  The only other way to do it requires a lot of work.  There is something on the  Roll20 test server that might make it easier  at some point in the future .

Actually, since the last time I looked at something like this for the Heroquest sheet there have been changes that are already on  the live server that could make this a lot easier.  But whatever the solution the there is only so much room and I will have to shorten the spell name. 

Edited by dvdmacateer

20 minutes ago, dvdmacateer said:

Something like this. But if you are wanting to click the  rune and have drop down with  graphics that's a different story.

rune.jpg

So I'm guessing you select the rune in the text drop-down, then the Rune changes to match the selection, and clicking on the Rune rolls the Rune?

That’s really elegant. Anyone who wants to complain about the text drop down can go build their own sheet IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

So I'm guessing you select the rune in the text drop-down, then the Rune changes to match the selection, and clicking on the Rune rolls the Rune?

That’s really elegant. Anyone who wants to complain about the text drop down can go build their own sheet IMO. 

I should be able to put a button in there.  Accept an issue with making this a  button is  what happens with  common spells and others that are marked with an R.  Also what about a spell that has more than one rune attached like healing trance which has fertility and harmony? 

14 minutes ago, dvdmacateer said:

I should be able to put a button in there.  Accept an issue with making this a  button is  what happens with  common spells and others that are marked with an R.  Also what about a spell that has more than one rune attached like healing trance which has fertility and harmony? 

Brute force it. Standard text drop down containing every rune all the time, button matches the rune selected in the drop down, it’s up to the players to pick the right rune when they set up the spell. You can’t be expected to automate everything.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, StephenMcG said:

...  For example, an attack button on the main screen which would give you a drop down containing your weapons.  A battle magic drop down for your spells ...

I had similar thoughts.

Spitballing & brainstorming ...

I might split Spirit/Rune/Sorcery magics, each a button that drops a menu.  Extra Rune-buttons if you have multiple-deity Initiations.

The basic principle is to have a mini-sheet where you can see it "all" at any given moment, and never scroll.  Instead, the extra content is in tabs/drop-downs/pop-ups/whatever.  You never have more content than shows on-screen.

Skills might be drop-downs from their respective Characteristics, with a 🔍 lookup for when you forget, and a "show all skills" for browsing everything...

Sheet might be context-sensitive, with "combat mode" showing combat-abilities and magic as the "front" sheet, needing to drill-down to see raw STR/DEX/etc (upon reflection, this is likely a bad idea as both TONS of dev-work, and likely confusing to most players).

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, skulldixon said:

Just popping in to make a suggestion - this came up in the Discord the other day and I think it would be a great help to players.

Adding the associated Rune next to the Skill category (or Skill if its different) for ease of reference. 

Example:

I was working on that a couple of years ago, but took the past couple of years off to do a couple of failed projects. Good to see others taking it up. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Suggestion for NPC rolls but interested in the views of others.

Add a check box "Display skill" on NPC skill rolls:

image.png.21f32c06ff8032cf4a319c2cd405f0c6.png

I don't intend to Whisper rolls for my NPC's (dice as rolled etc) but I'm reluctant to display the NPC's skill level to my players:

image.png.921a9eaafec3161645809d1281881a4e.png

Maybe this is an edge case in terms of play style?  The easiest solution is simply to Whisper, I guess.

• Like 1

Been working on my idea of banks of macros.  I can now create sets of buttons in the chat menu.  So a macro that pushes buttons for all the characteristics into the chat bar which can be clicked to make a roll.  Only made it happen for INT and POW, but the principle is there.  You can make two characteristics appear per row.

I reckon these chat menus could quite easily provide a character sheet on the screen for play purposes, especially if the macros were built to call out elements of the character sheet which would be used to maintain all of the detail and when you want to go look at the character as a whole instead of playing it at the table...

Of course, my menus are horrid to look at but I think a bit of CSS magic for those with that knowledge would make a huge difference....

I think someone had mentioned before about Combat Unit sheet. After running a big combat session last night I made a separate NPC sheet in roll20 to handle just all the rolls for attacks/defense/etc. That way I wouldn't have to keep pulling 5-8 different sheets up when it was the group of skeleton's turn. 

But this got me think about what a Unit sheet could look like since a simple NPC sheet could completely be able to easily track each hit location for each NPCs. So I took a jpg of the sheet into photoshop and came up with this idea. This is just a very rough basic idea I figured I would share.

Untitled-1.png

• Helpful 3

On 8/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, skulldixon said:

Untitled-1.png

Speaking for myself, I vastly prefer the graphic "humanoid" layout for the hit-location tracker.  It's the core of my own "homebrew" combat-mook sheet, alongside a few crucial numbers like best-weapon skilsl, casting scores, whatever (varies by the mook).

C'es ne pas un .sig