Playing Runequest on Roll20

Beorne

I'd like to use some virtual tabletop to starting play RQ:G.

What do you use? RollD20? Are there around some resources? I have seen there is a very good character set for RQ:G but I can't find it.

Sorry but I'm newbie to RollD20 (and to RQ:G too, being expert on Glorantha will be much more difficult I thnk)

Thank you very much.

Edited by Scotty
renamed thread for clarity
  • Like 1

There is a good character sheet.  To see it, you have to be in a game that is using it.  At least, that's the only way I know to do it.  So, the easiest way is to just create a game of your own, and, in the "Optional, Choose a character sheet" drop down list, choose RuneQuest Glorantha.

If you don't want to create a game, I've got one that I use for one-shots that is currently inactive.  Send me a PM with your email, and I'll invite you to it, and assign an existing character to you

• Thanks 1

After painting all of those miniatures, I wound up using straight up Zoom sessions.  No one has found the other online options especially appealing, although part of that is simply the lack of support.  I AM going to GM the Battle of Iceland using the armies that I have painted up and a camera (or two) when the party gets there in the timeline.  That is intended as the big climax of this arc.

But the week to week sessions haven't needed anything other than a shared Google Drive folder and a premium license for Zoom.   The fillable PDF is fantastic, the players literally update the sheet after every session.

• Like 1

We use Roll20 for maps when a battle is possible or expected.  For example, go into Snakepipe Hollow, put the map on Roll20 and follow along.  We also use it, sometimes, to roll dice - it has some nice support for that.  We do not use it for character sheets or anything.

We use Zoom for the general conversation, possibly briefly screen share a map or picture.

We use Discord as the overall "chat" (or the "help, my computer crashed, I'll be back...") and for a lot of the dice rolling when battle is not happening.  e.g. social interactions, most roleplaying, etc...

• Thanks 1

Dario Corallo is creating a range of maps and tokens for virtual tabletop games set in Glorantha: follow the "More from this Title's Contributors" links from this Jonstown Compendium page to see all of them.

Yelmalions & Allies

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

We use Roll20 for maps when a battle is possible or expected.  For example, go into Snakepipe Hollow, put the map on Roll20 and follow along.  We also use it, sometimes, to roll dice - it has some nice support for that.  We do not use it for character sheets or anything.

We use Zoom for the general conversation, possibly briefly screen share a map or picture.

We use Discord as the overall "chat" (or the "help, my computer crashed, I'll be back...") and for a lot of the dice rolling when battle is not happening.  e.g. social interactions, most roleplaying, etc...

I forgot quoting this ...

1 hour ago, Beorne said:

Why Discord and not Zoom to chat (or vice versa) ? Discord to write and zoom to talk?

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Beorne said:

I'd like to use some virtual tabletop to starting play RQ:G.

What do you use? RollD20? Are there around some resources? I have seen there is a very good character set for RQ:G but I can't find it.

Sorry but I'm newbie to RollD20 (and to RQ:G too, being expert on Glorantha will be much more difficult I thnk)

I use Roll20 and Zoom at the same time. I use the adventure straight from the book beside me, and keep the PDFs open in the background.

I use Roll20 to manage the RQ character sheets (my players like them) and to manage dice rolls from the sheets (my players like the dice roller). I've set up some generic dice rollers as macros on the bottom of the screen (shared with the players). For movement on maps when needed I use Roll20 as well. The RQG sheets can be setup for full characters (4 pages), an NPC sheet (below) and Quickstart.

For everything else I use zoom, better sound and video (for me). I share images on Zoom too as then you don't have to upload them to Roll20 which can be time consuming and fiddly to display. For handouts zoom is easier as I can use prepared stuff with no changes.

I use a PDF viewer to manage the rulebook.

Roll20 has a learning curve, which can be steep for some. The character sheets are pretty good. I do combat Strike ranks outside of both, on a piece of paper.

Juggling your screen takes get a bit of getting used to. Here's a recent encounter the players had. I've roll20 open with the tactical map in the background, I've an NPC sheet open for the Dragonsnail, I keep the Roll20 results visible in the bottom right corner. The luck runes roll the dice. The dragonsnail pic is shared in Zoom. 

The generic rollers are handy for when the players need to roll the reputation of someone they meet or I need them to make a roll that they don't need to know why they are rolling.

Each of the games in our club has it's own slack channel, so if there are issues (internet down etc) they get put there from a mobile device usually. We have few if any problems.

559179995_Screenshot2020-11-26at14_49_55.thumb.png.e9ac5c05b20b32f42eec59e9efd2eae3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

How do you set the different blue dice buttons on the bottom left corner? 

Click on the collection button, then +Add

242829080_Screenshot2020-11-26at19_36_33.png.c4206d8b7d7f82b720539234aef27c97.png

In edit macro

172890746_Screenshot2020-11-26at19_40_28.png.681fbc1fd971430cf1a31d65910ed838.png\\

NOW SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW, make it visible to all players, save Changes

1425364109_Screenshot2020-11-26at19_41_52.png.e016bb933377b117a864139f12b91afe.png

In the Macro window, make sure Show quick macro bar is ticked and In Bar is ticked

329662192_Screenshot2020-11-26at19_43_30.thumb.png.84d31b924a67fb4ed276fd8ab251b1ab.png

In your main window, you can move them to the order you want using a tab on the right side side and change their colour by cmd clicking / right clicking

1275821130_Screenshot2020-11-26at19_48_16.png.d7436fed415f26994ac162307bb7f99d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

One good feature of Roll20 is that you can create weapon damage specific macros.  For example, my character has

Sword   which for my PC is d8+1+d4, yours may vary

Bow       d8+1

and, more importantly to save time looking in the rules, it also has

Sword Special     see, I actually forget and would have to look it up...

Bow Impale

• Like 2

Well, I have now set up some Macros in my Monday night game. D100 and some for NPC names. Also have added a Hit Location Chart and basic Characters.

Slowly getting there.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 7 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, Psullie said:

Another great tip is to add macros to the Characters and display them as Token Actions. That way when you click on the icon key buttons appear in the same way as the GM buttons but at then top of the screen 

1108710732_Screenshot2020-11-27at13_58_18.png.da03c7b907cd030a8b585e79b35bde77.png

That looks fantastic. :-0
Could you please explain how you created the "Broadsword" macro for Harmast, for example? What code do you need to type under each ability?
Can you create a button for a POWx5 roll like this?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

On 11/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, Psullie said:

Another great tip is to add macros to the Characters and display them as Token Actions. That way when you click on the icon key buttons appear in the same way as the GM buttons but at then top of the screen 

1108710732_Screenshot2020-11-27at13_58_18.png.da03c7b907cd030a8b585e79b35bde77.png

Great tip - will add this.  Thank you. 

@Arcadiagt5 @Runeblogger It is more of a hack, but it works.

1. Open the Character Sheet the switch to the Chat View on the side bar

2. Click the desired action, Attack or POW x5 and see the result, then click in the chat box and press the Up arrow on your Keyboard, this will display all the code that you just executed, select it and copy to clipboard.

3. Go to the Attributes & Abilities tab on the Char Sheet and Add a new ability, name it and click the Pencil icon to edit. Paste in your code and select the Show as Token Action, and press the checkmark icon to save your Marco.

Done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Psullie said:

@Arcadiagt5 @Runeblogger It is more of a hack, but it works.

1. Open the Character Sheet the switch to the Chat View on the side bar

2. Click the desired action, Attack or POW x5 and see the result, then click in the chat box and press the Up arrow on your Keyboard, this will display all the code that you just executed, select it and copy to clipboard.

3. Go to the Attributes & Abilities tab on the Char Sheet and Add a new ability, name it and click the Pencil icon to edit. Paste in your code and select the Show as Token Action, and press the checkmark icon to save your Marco.

Done. 

Oh that's excellent. I do note from some testing that it has fixed skill values so will require maintenance whenever a skill improves after experience, but still really useful I think. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of useful macros based on new roll templates.  Both of these require a token to be selected.

This macro will popup a dialog asking for a strike rank and will add the token to the end of the turn order.  As far as I am aware there is no way of sorting the turn order with a macro. 

&{template:turnOrder} {{name=@{selected|token_name}}} {{sr=[[?{SR|0} &{tracker}]]}} {{sr2=?{SR|0}}} 

This macro will add a token to the turn and five it an SR value based on the value in a token a token bubble.  Which number represents which bubble is shown in the token options.

&{template:turnOrder} {{name=@{selected|token_name}}} {{sr=[[@{selected|bar1} &{tracker}]]}} {{sr2=@{selected|bar1}}} 

Edited by dvdmacateer
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Dissolv said:

After painting all of those miniatures, I wound up using straight up Zoom sessions.  No one has found the other online options especially appealing, although part of that is simply the lack of support.  I AM going to GM the Battle of Iceland using the armies that I have painted up and a camera (or two) when the party gets there in the timeline.  That is intended as the big climax of this arc.

I am very similar without the miniatures and using Skype instead of zoom. Quite low tech but it works. Still, I am not a newbie to computers so, I am slowly putting together roll20

On 11/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, soltakss said:

Well, I have now set up some Macros in my Monday night game. D100 and some for NPC names. Also have added a Hit Location Chart and basic Characters.

Slowly getting there.

Yep, slowly it is.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:53 PM, David Scott said:

Click on the collection button, then +Add

Thanks Dave, as useful as all your tips!

On 7/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, dvdmacateer said:

When I get some time for the sheet again I can make the weapon section buttons draggable but you will have to rename them as the default name is HUGE.

Are you the creator of this marvellous tool, if so thanks a lot!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

36 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

When I get some time for the sheet again I can make the weapon section buttons draggable but you will have to rename them as the default name is HUGE.

No draggable buttons are part of the Roll20 character sheet functionality, I don't think they were around when I started work on the sheet and may have been enhanced recently.  I just had give the buttons names on the character sheet and work around some inconsistencies.  . 

Something else that may make  things easier is reducing the size of the turn order.  If you install the Stylus add-on / extension ion Chrome or Firefox you can reduce the size of the turn order dialog.  Hopefully I haven't missed any CSS.

#initiativewindow {
    padding: 1px 1px;
    overflow-x: auto
}
#initiativewindow ul li {
    padding: 1px;
}
#initiativewindow ul li {
    min-height: 15px
}
#initiativewindow ul li img {
    max-width: 20px;
    max-height: 18px;
}
#initiativewindow ul li span.initiative {
    font-size: 18px;
    padding: 1px;
    min-height: 12px
}
#initiativewindow ul li span.name {
    font-size: 14px;
    padding-top: 1px
}
#initiativewindow input {
    font-size: 12px;
    height: 12px;
}

If anyone wants to also put the map list and macros on multiple lines and reduce the size of the entries in the Journal PM me and I can give you the CSS.

• Thanks 1