RQ starter set?

smiorgan

What do we know about the planned Starter Set?

I am really looking forward to it. The CoC starter set was great and I have high expectations for the RQ box.

And I love boxed sets...

And the Italian edition of RQ is on hold until the starter set is available (so I've been told).

Will it contain new adventures or updated classic scenarios?

Will it contain (simplified?) character generation rules or just premade characters? 

Will it feature a mini-setting / homebase? Apple Lane? Somewhere else?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, smiorgan said:

What do we know about the planned Starter Set?

I can't provide quotes, but from the buzz I've heard I believe it's a boxed set, and the content is focused on Jonstown. It will have new pre-gens (I've heard around a dozen? but I don't think I've seen that guess from a Chaosium employee), and a soloquest. I presume it'll have at least one standard adventure as well. I believe the focus is on usability for both new and experienced players.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

What do we know so far from things Jeff, Jason et all have posted here, on facebook, or mentioned at conventions, etc.: 

RQ Starter Set Box 

- New Pregens
- Book with the description of Jonstown
- about 5 adventures (in and around the Jonstown area, i assume), of which one seems to be an upgrade of the Rainbow Mounds
- a SoloQuest

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK it follows the excellent gimmick of the CoC Starter Set where the SoloQuest is meant to be the first thing played, so the owner of the box learns the rules, and then becomes the GM by running the other adventures for other players. I'm not sure if they will do like CoC where the 2nd adventure is meant to be a 1:1 adventure, so you have an intermediate step between the SoloQuest and GMing for 4 or 5 people. I assume it will be there.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, Beoferret said:

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I was hoping that it'd be out before Christmas, so I could buy a couple of sets for friends. Maybe it'll come out in time for New Gamemaster Month? That would seem like a good idea from a marketing standpoint.

At some point (a month or so ago), a comment was made that the Red Book of Magic PDF and the Starter Set PDF could be made available before the end of the year. RBoM seems to be imminent so there might be hope for the Starter Set.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, AndreJarosch said:

- about 5 adventures (in and around the Jonstown area, i assume), of which one seems to be an upgrade of the Rainbow Mounds

Gah! I just ran them through Rainbow Mounds. It would be great to know what is coming down the pike so we can put off certain things in anticipation.