MU students local campaign

Hi all! Here (in France), we're still in containment (softer than the first, but my local gaming club won't reopen until january or february I'm afraid). So I suspended my Coming Storm campaign and ran a few CoC scenarios. Now I'm planning (my players asked for it!!) a MU student local campaign. They'll of course begin as 1st year students. Do you know any introductory scenario for 1st year students? Otherwise I thought about some non-mythos mystery for the first session (maybe just a maniac on the campus?...). Il precise I still own of course Arkham Unveiled and Miskatonic University, and several other books that will help (Tales from the Miskatonic Valley, Return to Dunwich, Death in Dunwich, and so forth). Thanks for advices!

• Like 1

Dear Loïc,

I have been running a campaign for completely new players in which they are roleplaying MU students. "Doors to Darkness" has four simple scenarios that can be easily linked to the Miskatonic University and could serve as an introduction to the campaign (or in my case as a linked sequence of adventures). The only problem is that each scenario presents a different Mythos entity so to avoid "monster show each session" I had to change them properly. They worked very well for inexperienced players.

To give you a context, the campaign is about a professor, who is a long-living sorcerer, controlling the minds of his students and other faculty members. He uses people as his slaves to get ingredients and artifacts for a ritual, that he has been preparing for 250 years. Some of the students went missing or died, some professors too. A group of students and one professor are trying to solve these cases.

(SPOILERS ALERT)

Below are some ideas regarding scenarios (not exactly how I used them):

1. Genius Loci — you can make Larry Croswell a student that was locked in the Asylum, who needs help from his friends. Instead of Lloigor controlling the hospital and its superintendent Dr. Berger, it could be a professor from the University, who is actually a sorcerer and needs to sacrifice Croswell in some ritual.
  2. Servants of the lake — here James Frazer is another student missing at the Squatters Lake motel, and students, asked by his father, go there looking for him. Instead of Gla'aki's avatar in the lake, the Brophy brothers could just be vampire-like monsters feeding on guests. You could also make Brophys innocent and make a villain out of one of the motel guests.
  3. Ties that Bind — students from MU were asked to identify weird stones left by burglars at a construction site. These are eggs of Byakhee, that was summoned by the Marsh Wizard. Again, he could be a professor from MU.
  4. None More Black — Walter Resnick, another MU student, died in strange circumstances from overdosing a drug. Players are his firends who try to learn what happened. If one wants to avoid monsters, it can be done by removing Nightgaunts from the scenario.

Another great 7ed. the scenario is "Blackwater Creek" from the Keeper's Screen, which is about MU students archeology expedition. In the original adventure, investigators look for the missing prof. Roades. Instead, I made them believe that they are joining the archeology expedition for the scheduled second stage of digging. They did not know that no one was able to contact Roades in a long time. Only the group leader, the archeology professor was told that Roades has not been responding to any messages. But he is a workaholic, possibly totally absorbed in his work. My players were shocked when they arrived at Blackwater Creek and discovered that the expedition camp is completely destroyed and no one is there.

Other MU related scenarios that come to my mind are:

1. The "Crimson Letters" from the Rulebook, which is an investigation of the history professor death. I think it could be reasonably well adapted for MU students. I played it as a "gangster adventure".
  2. The "Crystal of Chaos" from "The House of R'lyeh" is a continuation of Lovecraft's "The Haunter of the Dark", where the investigators have to find a crystal for the archeology department professor. The adventure is located in Providence, so could possibly be linked to "Darkness beneath the hill" from "Doors to Darkness" or "Shadow over Providence".
  3. "Canis Mysterium" can be linked to MU Psychology or Biology Departments. Students would be sent to a small town to examine a man who behaves like a wolf.

Edited by Tranquillitas Ordinis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many scenarios have some Miskatonic University connection but few are explicitly written for students per se, though a few, such as "The Dig" that involve Archaeological digs typically are structured to include a few MU professors with the investigators assumed to be subordinates and very much in the role a student or graduate student might take. (The other archaeological scenario that comes to mind is "Watcher in the Valley" but that is an expedition officially lead by an independent academic group with an MU professor involved.)

Otherwise the 2003 version of the MU guide book (the one with a worried looking fellow in a sweatshirt on the cover not the one of Cthulhu drawing himself which is the 1995 one) includes the scenario "A Little Knowledge" which is mostly set on campus and is easily made into an MU scenario.  Likewise "The Condemned" from the Arkham guide has a clear MU hook. There is also a scenario mostly set on the MU campus in Plan 09 from Halloween (a monograph) - which a quick check tells me was called "Halloween Nuit".

If you haven't picked it up I suspect you might find our Miskatonic Country Scenarios: A Keeper's Guide of use, as it lists all of the regularly published scenarios in Miskatonic Country and notes those that have some section that occurs on campus (and notes discussing the scenario plot that hopefully would flag any scenarios using staff or students). There is a longer but not quite as robust list of Arkham scenarios, including those with MU links in issue 1 of the Arkham Gazette too (and the scenarios in any issue could be tied into the campus, the scenarios in issues 0 and 2 are probably the easiest to hook in).

• Thanks 1

I failed my library check! Need help!

In Miskatonic University, p197:

As noted nearby, the witch cult never acts on or near the campus of Miskatonic University, and particularly avoids the Orne Library. Why does the coven avoid a potential treasure trove of magical and arcane lore? Some possible answers can be found in this chapter.

Then I can't find these "possible answers"!!! There are a few things about the Exhibit Museum the witch cult may be aware/afraid of (the mummy, Lucas Tetlow...), but nothing about the Orne Library. Or does this mean the witch cult is aware of Armitage Cabal? With its incredible powers, I don't think it frightens much the witch? I probably missed something, so if anyone has an answer or a clue?...

Thanks!

On 11/29/2020 at 4:06 AM, Loïc said:

Hi all! Here (in France), we're still in containment (softer than the first, but my local gaming club won't reopen until january or february I'm afraid). So I suspended my Coming Storm campaign and ran a few CoC scenarios. Now I'm planning (my players asked for it!!) a MU student local campaign. They'll of course begin as 1st year students. Do you know any introductory scenario for 1st year students? Otherwise I thought about some non-mythos mystery for the first session (maybe just a maniac on the campus?...). Il precise I still own of course Arkham Unveiled and Miskatonic University, and several other books that will help (Tales from the Miskatonic Valley, Return to Dunwich, Death in Dunwich, and so forth). Thanks for advices!

This sounds like a great start to campaign, I love the student angle. Its almost a "kids on bikes" type scenario, where the kids are a bit older and the bikes end up being Byakhee. Mythos Scooby Gang :)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear Loïc and others,

Now I also remember that one interesting idea I had was to emulate somehow the real, academic life of students. Usually, since they were pursuing the Cthulhu Mythos, and everyone was mainly focused on the action/ plot, there was not enough time to include scenes from their normal day at university and sometimes my players were even forgetting they are playing as students. So, if  for some reason one player was not participating in a longer scene, I was handing him/ her some sort of a quiz, that I had prepared beforehand. It was usually about classes, other students, professors and included different choices to be made regarding all of these. In this way I was trying to ensure that the player is not bored, while others are role-playing, and that he/ she has some feeling of the student life. To be more clear, I attach two examples below.

At the end of the semester I use their answers (and other relevant choices they made) to calculate their final grades, and development of those skills, which are related to their area of study. 

Life-of-Enoch.pdf Rachela-2.pdf

Edited by Tranquillitas Ordinis