CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

Any plans for including Law vs Chaos, or CG vs LG vs LE vs CE...and the rest of the combinations?

My best,

Mark

The earliest version of the manuscript included all the alignment combinations. It ended up being too cumbersome in play however, with too much guess work on the part of the GM as too what a particular action was leaning towards. Knocking it down to only three made the GMs job considerably easier.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update the current Classic Fantasy II situation...

This weekend outside playtesting is to begin and parts of the manuscript are to be sent out. Chapter 1 (Spot Rules) will be ready tonight and Chapter 2 (NPCs) should be ready before the weekend is over. After that I just have to finish chapter 3 (Monsters) and Chapter 4 (Treasures) both of which are more than half done, so things are "finally" moving along at a nice clip.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting this out to everyone that has shown an interest. I hope to have this finished over the summer at the latest.

I don't intend to leave the layout to Chaosium this time but don't really know if I will have the time or ability to do it myself. If there is anyone that wouldn't mind helping me out with this I would be greatful. I wouldn't be able to offer compensation, but would be more than willing to credit all your hard work. I'm not looking for anything fancy as I want it to look like volume I and not a completly different book, so fancy borders and color pages, while nice, are not nessessary.

Contact me via private message if this is something anyone can offer any help with.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Just wanted to ask if I have understood it correctly that Classic Fantasy I is getting a wide release?

The reason I ask is because I was gonna order a print copy of Classic Fantasy I since I feel the pdf is a bit to big for my old printer to handle (at 196 pages). Noticed that Chaosium are at the moment out of Classic Fantasy prints and I was thinking it might be worth waiting for the wide release if/when it comes. Anyone have a clue how far away it is?

Just wanted to ask if I have understood it correctly that Classic Fantasy I is getting a wide release?

The reason I ask is because I was gonna order a print copy of Classic Fantasy I since I feel the pdf is a bit to big for my old printer to handle (at 196 pages). Noticed that Chaosium are at the moment out of Classic Fantasy prints and I was thinking it might be worth waiting for the wide release if/when it comes. Anyone have a clue how far away it is?

Last I spoke to Charlie was almost a year ago and he had told me that he wanted to get it into direct distribution sometime in 2010. Obviously this never happened but I know that they are behind on the number of books they wanted to get out. I wish I could tell you that CFI will be avaliable this year outside of their online store but I don't know for sure.

I had a couple copies backordered myself from before Chistmas that I purchased during the sale that just arived last week, so I know they are printing copies again. Maybe they just want to take care of all the backorders before listing in the store.

Thanks for your interest,

Rod

• 2 months later...

im sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but i havnt been able to find it. i am very new to basic role playing and i figured i would start with classic fantasy. me and some of the people in my normal gaming group are in the process of making characters and we ran into a little snag. when on step seven page 12 it says to spend a characters personal skill points. well i am trying to figure out melee weapons. it says "as per weapon specialty" "see BRP page 69" when i look in BRP page 69 it says "see weapon classes page 257" it then talks about weapon skills and weapon classes. i am assuming that this means that if for example i look on page 253 of the BRP and i want to spend my personal skill points on a staff, quarter that it starts at 25% and i can add points on to that. now assuming i am right it also means that if i want to use a short staff later on in the game that i can at the quarter staff proficiency. correct? but if that is correct then how do i use weapon class skills? do i use the staff weapon class skill that starts at 0% proficiency and i add points as needed to build up? sorry i am a bit confused on this. this will probably apply to the skill for shield as well it starts as the base than i add points to it as well during creation? or is it a weapon class skill?

thanks in advance for your time

heath

You start your quarterstaff skill at 25% + the character's combat skill category bonus + any points you've added from character generation. The basic rules then say that you can use shortstaff at the same score because it is in the same weapon class. However, on page 258 under the heading Using Weapons Of The Same Class, you can use slightly more realistic options; look at the huge list of variants under "Sword" for a good reason why using these options may be better.

BTW, welcome to BRP/CF. I've given up 30+ years of D&D to convert to this system and it has proved really invigorating for the campaign and the players.

so can you purchase weapon class skills in classic fantasy for example to buy the weapon class skill "sword" does it start at 0 and purchase up where as if you bought "long sword it would start at the beginning skill level of 15%? or is that an option in BRP and not available in classic fantasy?

That I'm not sure on because I'm using some basic rules, some CF, and some house for my game; but don't forget that you can use whichever method you like.

I'm notoriously anti weapon groups, so for my campaign I allow characters to use any other weapon in the group as "difficult" or at the base for the weapon, whichever is higher. That individual weapon can then be developed seperately.

Don't worry, though. Someone will be along shortly with another answer.

Don't forget to join the Yahoo group, there's more great stuff there.

so can you purchase weapon class skills in classic fantasy for example to buy the weapon class skill "sword" does it start at 0 and purchase up where as if you bought "long sword it would start at the beginning skill level of 15%? or is that an option in BRP and not available in classic fantasy?

Hello and thanks for your interest in Basic Role Playing and Classic Fantasy. Depending on which version of Classic Fantasy your using, you will see three columns on the weapon tables. The first is Weapon, and just gives the name of a specific type. Next is Skill, this lists the actual skill used. This is the skill being raised with skill points during character creation and later with experience. All weapons with the same skill use the same % chance to hit, parry, etc. Finally, the third column lists the weapons Base. The base applies to all weapons with the same skill in Classic Fantasy.

So, as an example, If you create a character during creation that is to use a short sword (base 15) and put 30 points into it. You will have a final skill of 45% with it. But, in addition to that specific sword, you also have a 45% with all other weapons that list sword as the skill catagory.

The latest version of Classic Fantasy actually breaks most weapons down into 1 handed and 2 handed versions, but it still works the same way. The only difference in the above example would be the characters final 45% would instead apply to all 1 handed swords. 2 handed swords would need to be developed seperatly.

I hope that answers your question, if not, please let me know.

Rod

thanks that does answer the question. so in the version i have which is copyright 2009 and it does in fact list a colum for 1 handed and 2 handed weapons thanks for the quick reply but just to recap i spend seperatly for 1 handed swords from 2 handed swords correct? also how do weapon specialties work? do i add to my general weapon skill catagory (like swords) or do i have to start over (like great sword) so if i had a general sword skill at 25% and i wanted to specialize in long sword would i add points to long sword 25% + whatever points i want to add or 25% in swords and then i start at 0% in long sword and add however many skill points i want to it. also what would the benefits be to specialize in for example long sword over the general sword catagory?

thanks in adnace for your help

heath

Edited by heathd666

just to recap i spend seperatly for 1 handed swords from 2 handed swords correct?

Correct

also how do weapon specialties work? do i add to my general weapon skill catagory (like swords) or do i have to start over (like great sword) so if i had a general sword skill at 25% and i wanted to specialize in long sword would i add points to long sword 25% + whatever points i want to add or 25% in swords and then i start at 0% in long sword and add however many skill points i want to it. also what would the benefits be to specialize in for example long sword over the general sword catagory?

I don't break the skills down further than what is listed on the tables in my own Classic Fantasy games. However I do use the Similiar Weapon rules detailed in Basic Roleplaying to learn related weapon types. This is covered in detail on page 258 of the BGB as you have already pointed out.

Now if you were to use that rule with the current information from Classic Fantasy, you would assume that all 1 handed weapons are "similar" to the 2 handed weapons of the same type. Swords are similar to swords, axes are similar to axes, etc. So to use this in an example...

You create a character with 60% in 1 handed swords. After an adventure, he finds a +1 great sword but has no skill in it. If he decides to use it, he may substitute his skill in 1 handed swords but all attacks are Difficult, making his modified chance 30% (half of his normal 60%), not the normal base chance that a 2 handed sword actually has.

After using it a couple times, he scores a hit and checks off the skill. At the end of the session, when checking to see if his skill in 2 handed swords improves, he actually rolls against the normal base of 05%, and if the improvement roll succeeds, will be raising that base of 05%.

He may continue to use his 1 handed sword skill at Difficult level however until he has raised his 2 handed sword skill to a higher level.

As Classic Fantasy is currently designed, there is no further benefit to breaking it down further and developing a skill in just long sword.

thanks in adnace for your help

heath

No problem, hope that clears it up.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know where this can be purchased in the UK? It doesn't feature in any of the major Internet suppliers' web sites (e.g., Leisure Games).

Well if you want a printed copy the only place I know where to get Monographs is to order from Chaosium itself as Classic Fantasy is a monograph.

If you want a PDF copy on the other hand you have plenty of places where you can get the monographs outside Chaosium. I usually get my PDF stuff from DriveThruRPG

• 4 weeks later...

How is this coming along?

Hello Legion, Classic Fantasy Volume II is still set to be turned in to Chaosium at the end of the summer if all goes well. Then it's just a matter of them getting it into the rotation.

Thanks,

Rod

quick question, where is the price for ammunition such as arrows, bolts etc. i tried searching through the pdf and cant find it. i even tried looking in the big golden book and cant find it in there either.

heath

quick question, where is the price for ammunition such as arrows, bolts etc. i tried searching through the pdf and cant find it. i even tried looking in the big golden book and cant find it in there either.

heath

Under "Cost (gp)" on the Missile Table. It is given in brackets "(#)". For example, under Long Bow the cost is listed as 13 (0.1), this means that a long bow cost 13 gold, and an arrow for it cost 1 silver.

Rod

• 1 month later...

Not sure, I would drop them an e-mail.

Either Fergie

fergie@chaosium.com

and/or

Dustin

dustin@chaosium.com

Both of these guys are pretty good at returning e-mails and deal with orders and customer service.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

It finally happened! Ran my first Classic Fantasy adventure yesterday and I was surprised how nicely everything sort of fell together. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first feeling that it was a bit to old school but had planned to use parts of the module for my own campaign. But we decided to try the whole thing as written. This will for sure be the basis for any future fantasy campaign I run. The players liked it a lot too getting that D&D feel but with the grittier but still simple combat system of the BRP system.

We are planning the next adventure tomorrow already and we normally only play 1 session per week. :-)

Can hardly wait for Classic Fantasy II now.