CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

Sorry guys, i'm working on it, however very slowly. I'm working 3rd shift and pretty much find myself working all night and sleeping all day, with a couple hours devoted to Skyrim on my X-Box. If you have Skyrim then you understand.

Seriously, I am working on it. A simplified progress report would be...

Chapter 1: Spot Rules; Done at 29 pages of 10 point type (17,800 words)

Chapter 2: Non-Player Characters; Done at 34 pages (19,700 words)

Chapter 3: A Manual of Monsters; Two thirds done at 91 pages (48,400 words)

Chapter 4: Treasure; Mostly done but awaiting a re-write. 34 pages (18,600 words)

Chapter 5: The Realm; Just some ideas jotted down to be included as space permits.

So it is coming along, however at a pace much slower than I would have hoped, damn Skyrim.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Even though I'm looking for something that goes away from many of the classic conventions of the genre, I still picked this up based on the really positive things I've read about it online (both here and other communities). Looking forward to checking it out and raiding bits and bobs for a (probably pipe-dream) game I have in mind of running.

Ooh, my printer just finished running of a hard-copy of my PDF...sometimes it's good to be the only in the office on a rainy day O:)

Does anyone here have either the Basic Creatures book or any of the All the World's Monsters volumes? If so, How many, if any, of the entries would work/be compatible with Classic Fantasy/old school D&D?

Just hoping that some of the Monster Manual conversion work has already been done before (or close enough).

Thanks

Does anyone here have either the Basic Creatures book or any of the All the World's Monsters volumes? If so, How many, if any, of the entries would work/be compatible with Classic Fantasy/old school D&D?

The BASIC Creatures monograph is the Creatures book from the AH RuneQuest III boxed sets and is very easy to use, albeit references some specific sub systems you may need to ignore / tweak (hit locations, fatigue points etc etc). All The Worlds Monsters were generic monster supplements published in the mid-seventies - the PDF's are scans, the "stats" are very generic (and aimed at use with D&D, although there's conversion guide for using with T&T in volume 2 and RQI in volume 3), so would require considerably more work I suspect.

Cheers,

Nick

Avoid All the World's Monsters if you want stats for BRP. I bought them years ago and was very disappointed, and I have a very low expectation threshold.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Well have found that most of the creatures in Basic Creatures are already included in the BRP book.

If you think it's worth buying it for just a few additional monsters go ahead. They do require some tweaking, mostly to recalculate and get MOV scores and rename some skills with the help of the Conversion section in Appendices in the BRP book. But other than that you can mostly use them as is.

But I would recommend just downloading Basic Bestiary instead. Basicly you get the same as Basic Creatures but for free. ;D

On a different (and highly-tangential) note: I just started flipping through CF again after quite a while and I remain very impressed with what Rod has done here. God only knows if I'll ever actually get to put together a BRP/CF campaign, but I sure want to. It just calls out to be played. Maybe in 2012 I'll get to dust off some old modules and give 'em the proper CF treatment. Fingers crossed.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled irregular postings about sources of monsters :)

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

What would a summarized stat block for NPCs or monsters look like for BRP/CF?

You know, the old ones that used to appear in the middle of the modules.

Examples:

Taverner (AC 9, LVL 0, hp 6, #AT I, D 1-6, ML 8)

Guard (AC 4, F 1, hp 7, #AT 1, D 1-6, ML 10)

Kobold (AC 7, HD V2, hp 3, #AT 1, D 1-4, MV (40’) Save NM, ML 6)

Obviously HP, but skills and stats too? What else would be needed on the fly? Or would it make more sense in CF to put them all in their own section at the end?

I think a stat block might include:

Goblin (HP 8, AP 2 [Leather Armor], MOV 6, Short Sword 40% 1D6+1-1D6, Target Shield 40%)

Lizardman (HP 13, AP 4 [scaly Skin], MOV 8/6 swim, Scimitar 50% 1D6+2+1D4, Tail Strike 50% 1D4+1D4)

Orc (HP 12, AP 4 [Leather with metal bits], MOV 8, Scimitar 50% 1D6+2, Martial Arts: Scimitar 20%)

More complex NPCs and boss monsters will still need a full write-up.

Christian Conkle

Blogs: Geek Rampage! - Swords of Cydoria - Exiled in Eris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone heard from Threedeesix (aka Tod) lately? I recently picked up the pdf of Classic Fantasy and have been trying to contact him about the updated version he spoke about earlier in this thread. Before I commit the pdf to the printer and burn up an ink cartridge, it would be cool to get my grubby hands on the tweaked version.

Ta

Has anyone heard from Threedeesix (aka Tod) lately? I recently picked up the pdf of Classic Fantasy and have been trying to contact him about the updated version he spoke about earlier in this thread. Before I commit the pdf to the printer and burn up an ink cartridge, it would be cool to get my grubby hands on the tweaked version.

Ta

First, thanks ORtrail for the XBL message.

I don't get online as much as my desktop computer is down and all I have is my laptop and its so slooooow.

I got your message about the updated version of Classic Fantasy and will contact you off line about it when I get home from work tomorrow morning. I work nights so I'm leaving soon to go in. So don't print off anything yet.

Happy gaming,

Rod (aka Not Tod)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to find a print copy of Classic Fantasy but it looks like Chaosium isn't stocking it anymore (only PDF). Any other places I might find a print copy? I realize I can download the PDF and print it myself but I'd honestly prefer spending a few more dollars and having the real book.

I'm dying for a good old fashioned dungeon crawler. I've been playing Palladium Fantasy lately and I surprisingly enjoy the Palladium system more than I remember, but it's a bit of stat overload. And D20 stuff just gives me nosebleeds...

Edited by Zombieboy

I am pretty sure a new print run is on their to do list. From what I understand they only do a small amount of books each print run. I had the same problem when I was gonna order my copy of Classic Fantasy and it was not available in print format. I just had to wait a while and before I knew it, it was available again.