CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

AD&D 1st Edition, eh? Well, that's just too new-fangled for me. I guess I'll just have to write me a Basic D&D version, darnit. :P

Funny you should mention that. It actually began as a conversion of Basic D&D as I was playtesting BRP in Mystara, one of my favorite D&D settings. I only expanded upon it with AD&D when moving in a commercial direction.

As a matter of fact, my original 100 page conversion is pretty much a conversion of the red box set to BRP terms. I even did the dwarf, elf, and halfling as a profession built into the race to remain true to the source material. It was fun and I still like to flip through it now and then. It really is the precursor to Classic Fantasy, and some of the text in CF remains unchanged from that early book.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
I no good english

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Guest Vile Traveller

It actually began as a conversion of Basic D&D as I was playtesting BRP in Mystara, one of my favorite D&D settings.

Well, whaddaya know. :confused:

It was coming across my old light blue Expert D&D book this week which got me reminiscing about what I still call the Known World (I don't think they called it Mystara until after we stopped playing D&D), and rummaging through some old Gazetteers. I'm seriously considering doing a BRP conversion of the old Basic and Expert books, at least (never played at the higher levels), just as a fun project while I do more serious stuff with Mongoose Traveller. I might go the whole hog and do the D&D Rules Cyclopedia (never bothered getting the Companion / Masters / Immortals sets). Probably just rules, though, no setting, time being money and all that.

Er, or I could get Classic Fantasy, I suppose. :lol:

In my mind, as far as human size characters and smaller, SIZ is height, not weight.

Sounds reasonable. :cool:

Now before this thread turns into another SIZ thread. I would appreciate it if anyone that wants to pursue the whole SIZ thing beyond how it pertains to CF please start another one. Thats right, I said it. :cool:

Ooops! I didn't know that was a contentious topic around these parts... :eek:

So far I really like the Classic Fantasy book but one thing I miss about old school AD%D is the Law and Chaos stuff. Chaotic Evil was a great bad guy alignment because they brought destruction and laid waste to the surrpounding lands. It also had a lot of possibility for this sense Chaotic evil in the world. I guess in a sense Chaotic Evil was sort of the artistic way of evil. On the other hand Lawful Evil tried to oppress people with cruel laws and hopelessness. I thought these two types of evil were good for the game because that way evil was divided and would fight against itself. On the other hand Lawful Good and Chaotic God got along but Lawful good felt by being organized it would maximise goodness while Chaotic Good maximised freedom to achive goodness. In any case, I just wonder why there is no Law and Chaos in Classic Fantasy.

So far I really like the Classic Fantasy book but one thing I miss about old school AD%D is the Law and Chaos stuff. Chaotic Evil was a great bad guy alignment because they brought destruction and laid waste to the surrpounding lands. It also had a lot of possibility for this sense Chaotic evil in the world. I guess in a sense Chaotic Evil was sort of the artistic way of evil. On the other hand Lawful Evil tried to oppress people with cruel laws and hopelessness. I thought these two types of evil were good for the game because that way evil was divided and would fight against itself. On the other hand Lawful Good and Chaotic God got along but Lawful good felt by being organized it would maximise goodness while Chaotic Good maximised freedom to achive goodness. In any case, I just wonder why there is no Law and Chaos in Classic Fantasy.

Thanks for the kind words.

I original had...

Lawful

Good

Neutral

Chaotic

Evil

Of these you chose two, in descending order, however you could not be both good and evil. Also, you had the option to choose neutral as both of your picks, in which you would be true neutral.

This worked well in theory, however in play was a little too cumbersome as there was a grey area as to just what actions were considered what sometimes.

I toyed with using Law, Neutrality, and Chaos for a bit, however chose Good, Neutral, and Evil for two reasons. First, Chaotic with out Evil, could be argued that "I just like to cause trouble, but I'm not bad". And second, there are to many spells and class abilities that I didn't want to rename, Protection from Evil, Detect Evil, etc.

But anyway, it's a very easy change to adapt for your games. I may even be able to dig out the original rule as written when it was for all 5 alignments if theres interest.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

***UPDATE***

I just sent in (via e-mail) the updated version of Classic Fantasy. I am considerably more happy with it now.

I went through it line-by-line cleaning up the over abundance of "white space" and fixed the errata noted at the beginning of this thread. I fixed all of the tables that were either broken up and sprinkled throughout the book, or no where near the rule they complemented.

There were a ton of other small changes that was supposed to be incorporated before it was printed, but as Chaosium jumped the gun they got missed. They have been included as well.

THERE IS A TABLE OF CONTENTS, and I think it's pretty

It has the same number of pages, but an extra chapter. Chapter 6: Miniatures Combat. That shows you how much white space there was. Miniatures Combat was to originally have been included, but I cut it over a year ago because I didn't think I could fit it. I spent a little over a week bringing it up to date and think it's cool. If you don't use miniatures don't let that stop you, there a lot of neat new combat rules in there as well.

I also included the Big Table of Combat Modifiers. Two pages of modifiers that are spread throughout the BRP core book and hard to find plus quite a bit of additional stuff for those using the full miniatures rules.

I can honestly say I'm proud of the book now as it is more what I had intended from the beginning, and like I told Charles Green, at least now I can edit and format my own monographs.

I mentioned to Charlie Krank in the e-mail that I think anyone that purchased either version should be able to download the new version, as he had said a month ago, I'll let everyone know the answer when I hear back.

Thank you everyone for your understanding and patience.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Any chance of making the errata available to folks who purchased the earlier version, so that we can know what exactly was fixed?

:)

Absolutely, however I want to first see what Chaosium is going to do. The most drastic changes are in the errata already. There are a few other things I will post however.

I did tweek quite a few spells and a couple special abilities.

Give me a few days.

I toyed with using Law, Neutrality, and Chaos for a bit, however chose Good, Neutral, and Evil...

Since the rare subject of alignment has come up, just thought I'd mention a mechanism for this I hit upon recently, that others may find useful. In 'Classic' D&D alignment is just a label, and many people object to that. But I'm using the Pendragon style Personality Traits and have decided which ones are Good/Evil or Lawful/Chaotic or both or neither. So by applying a little maths, you can work out what alignment characters are. And since the traits are developed by what they actually do in-game, this gives a measure that's more objective - and hopefully less objectionable.

It has the same number of pages, but an extra chapter. Chapter 6: Miniatures Combat. ... If you don't use miniatures don't let that stop you, there a lot of neat new combat rules in there as well.

Great. Are we talking rules for Wargaming (a la Chainmail) or Square-by-square melee movement (a la D&D3.x) ?

And, when will hard copy be available in the UK? :rolleyes:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Great. Are we talking rules for Wargaming (a la Chainmail) or Square-by-square melee movement (a la D&D3.x) ?

And, when will hard copy be available in the UK? :rolleyes:

Square by 1.5 meter square, perfect for the dungeon. I actually did a set of miniatures mass combat rules a la the original Chainmail/Warhammer etc a number of years ago, however after a few hard drive reformats and new computers, it's nothing but a memory. It was called BRP Legions, it actually began as D20 Legions, but changed partway through.

As for the hard copy in the UK, that's not my department. :( But i'd help if I could.

Rod

Square by 1.5 meter square, perfect for the dungeon.

I feel the need to clear this up least someone take this the wrong way. These are not actual 1.5 meter squares, most gamers don't have that kind of space available. Each 1" square represents an area of about 1.5 meters. :thumb:

There, I didn't want anyone thinking they needed to build an expansion on their home, or rent a hall to play a game of Classic Fantasy. :D

Square by 1.5 meter square, perfect for the dungeon.

Just what I prefer. Great!

These are not actual 1.5 meter squares, most gamers don't have that kind of space available. ... There, I didn't want anyone thinking they needed to build an expansion on their home, or rent a hall to play a game of Classic Fantasy.

Phew, what a relief! :rolleyes: Only joking - that wouldn't be a problem here at Frogspawner Mansions, anyway... ;)

I actually did a set of miniatures mass combat rules a la the original Chainmail/Warhammer etc a number of years ago...

I'm not a serious wargamer, but use HOTT for fantasy battles - and it's pretty good. By WRG, a decent pedigree, so it has some authority. Consistently delivers unexpected results and, even more surprising to a die-hard RP-er like me, FUN! The downside: you need fluency in Abstruse Legalese to understand the rules...

As for the hard copy in the UK, that's not my department. :( But i'd help if I could.

Ah, but you can help! Just keep writing more good stuff, so I can get free postage from Chaosium when I order it all! :happy:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Rod asked me to make some reference sheets for Classic Fantasy, so I've begun:

Character Generation

As I get more done I'll post them. You can also check here to see whatever stuff I make.

Very nice Judas, thanks so much.

Rod

As I posted in another thread earlier, Charlie has informed me as of yesterday, that in 2010 Classic Fantasy will be going into direct distribution, so it will be making it into game and hobby stores. He said they just have to get it a cover, more (better) internal art, and some additional editing.

I suggested the artists that did In Search of the Trollslayer, I think it would capture the feel of Classic Fantasy perfectly.

Rod

Great news! Congratulations! I am excited about seeing the miniatures rules. As I bought a hard copy I hope I can still download the newer version. Keep up the good work.

If it doesn't happen, I would suggest writing to Chaosium as they have a wonderful track record at listening to fans. If that doesn't work, I'm trying to think of a way someone can prove they purchased a hard copy, and if so, I will make sure they get a PDF if they can't otherwise. shhh.

As for the miniatures rules, I like them as does my group. I started putting them together during the original playtest of BRP and just continued to develop them into Classic Fantasy. So they have been used in my games for about 3 years give or take.

I will warn everyone that they are detailed to the point that not everyone may like them, but as I said above, I did include a lot of kinda neat combat stuff that can be used with or without miniatures.

They have about the same level of complexity as D&D 3.5 (however are in no way based on them), but retain the feel of the BRP combat system.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Hm, maybe I will just buy another re-edited copy once it comes available, you know, just to support your efforts and Chaosium...and to get all the extra goodies in one book!

While I more than appreciate it, I certainly understand those that choose not too. Thats why I at least want to get a PDF copy in their hands.

Thanks again

For those that have inquired I have uploaded a small sample of Classic Fantasy. This is the revised version and I suggest those with the earlier version compare it too see just what I changed. A good example is page 49 (revised). The table originally took up a page and a half, now it takes up less than a full page. And you can see how messed up the first version was.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=304

Also uploaded is the new Character Sheet. Less was changed, however it now uses the font used within the book and adds/changes a couple small things.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=305

Thanks for looking,

Rod