CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

Any chance you could re-post the lost "Reliable Spell Casting" rule update for Classic Fantasy, please Mr L?

Sure,

Reliable Spell Casting (Optional)

In other games and settings, spell casting is often reliable and spells seldom fail. This can be implemented in a Classic Fantasy campaign by using the following rule. However, this rule will seriously change the dynamic of spell casting and the game master should decide on its inclusion. Reliable Spell Casting affects both magic-users and illusionists, and assumes that a spell will succeed regardless of skill roll; however a failed roll will cost twice the intended magic points, while a Fumble will cost twice the intended magic points and have an additional adverse effect as noted in Basic Roleplaying on page 93. If this rule is used, inexperienced spell casters will succeed much more frequently, however they will also run out of magic points faster than normal. In addition, one failed spell roll could exceed the casters remaining magic points, ending his or her chance of casting spells for the rest of the day. In a situation where the caster does not possess enough magic points to cast a failed spell, the spell will reduce the caster to 0 magic points and knock him or her unconscious. In this case, the spell will be cast with reduced effect, any excess points are lost.

For example, Rengarth decides to cast a level 3 Fire Ball at the group of oncoming orcs. The spell will normally cost 9 magic points (3 per level). His normal chance to cast the spell is 78% and he has 14 magic points remaining. He fails his roll with a roll of 86. The spell still succeeds, however will now cost 18 magic points, far more than our young mage possesses. He is reduced to 0 magic points using all of his remaining 14 points to power the spell. To determine the spells reduced effect, each spell level now requires 6 magic points meaning he succeeds at only creating a level 2 spell (2D6 damage). The remaining 2 magic points are lost.

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I recently purchased Classic Fantasy and have been really enjoying it so far. One small question I had though concerned monks. Their entry specifies that they have a maximum of 75% for their skills -- is that an error or are they not subject to the same 55% maximum as other characters? I'm looking forward to Volume II, keep up the great work!

Thats a hold over from when everything was based on a 75% max. Unless a character class grants a bonus, treat all skill maximums as 55% at character creation. That has been fixed in the revised version.

Thanks for your interest in CF, any other questions, feel free to ask.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

When does the revised version come out?

All I can tell you is that I turned it in to Chaosium maybe two months ago and for some reason they are sitting on it. I know they intend to release it as a distribution title this year so now I'm wondering if they intend to wait and do that instead of issueing an updated monograph. I wish I could provide more information but thats all I have.

In the meantime, if anyone has purchased a copy, PDF or otherwise, send me a PM, I'll see what I can do on my end to get a revised PDF to yah. I'll just have you answer a page related question as proof of purchase.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Thank you for the answer Rodney! I'm really excited to see how this campaign develops -- my gaming group has a very interesting range of experiences, with a few only having played 4th edition D&D and some having experience with 1st and 2nd edition D&D. In order to ease that transition, I created two new races from the 4th edition Player's Handbook, the Dragonborn and the Tiefling. I think they both need a bit more fine-tuning (particularly the Dragonborn, whose only real shtick is being big and spouting fire in 4th edition). Is there anywhere that I might submit things created for Classic Fantasy?

Also, since you mentioned if I had any more questions, I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Witch class from the Gamemastery book. What separates a Witch from a Wizard? Do they have a unique spell list?

Thank you for the answer Rodney! I'm really excited to see how this campaign develops -- my gaming group has a very interesting range of experiences, with a few only having played 4th edition D&D and some having experience with 1st and 2nd edition D&D. In order to ease that transition, I created two new races from the 4th edition Player's Handbook, the Dragonborn and the Tiefling. I think they both need a bit more fine-tuning (particularly the Dragonborn, whose only real shtick is being big and spouting fire in 4th edition). Is there anywhere that I might submit things created for Classic Fantasy?

You can upload anything you want to this forum, just post a link in this thread with info about it so it is easier to find as there are lots and lots of great BRP downloads. I would love to see some Classic Fantasy conversions by others.

Also, since you mentioned if I had any more questions, I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Witch class from the Gamemastery book. What separates a Witch from a Wizard? Do they have a unique spell list?

The witch NPC class is based on the witch presented in BRP Witchcraft by Byron Alexander. It has a custom spell list based on the spells in that product, however, for those that do not have that book, I have noted substitute spells. I really encourage anyone interested to pick up that book however becouse there was an abundance of information, like the creation of talismans for example, that there was just no room for in Classic Fantasy. But that said, the CF witch has been designed as a fully functional character class as is.

Rod

I created two new races from the 4th edition Player's Handbook, the Dragonborn and the Tiefling. I think they both need a bit more fine-tuning (particularly the Dragonborn, whose only real shtick is being big and spouting fire in 4th edition). Is there anywhere that I might submit things created for Classic Fantasy?

To be fair, I think the Dragonborn have a great deal more than 'being big' and spouting a breath weapon, especially if you take their various feats into account (which can grant them heightened senses, or the ability to change how their breath works). One thing BRP doesn't model well is learning a 'special ability' that is not skill based. That would be the hard part of modeling the DB and keeping their neat abilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Was it intended that your Monk doesn't have a bonus to their move score (unlike their ADD counterpart) ?

Also, I think to increase the damage done by the Thief's Backstab and Ranger's Giant slayer abilities the same way martial arts damage increase, by skill levels. Did you tested this and rejected the idea as too powerful ?

Was it intended that your Monk doesn't have a bonus to their move score (unlike their ADD counterpart) ?

To be perfectly honest, this was not included because I goofed. I will add it to the Revised version and send it out to everyone that purchased it and contacted me for the revised version when I do the next update, as well as note it at the beginning of this thread in the section on errata. I will also see that it gets included in the master copy that Chaosium has for the future release of the distribution version.

Thanks and good catch.

Edit: Done. Every skill "tier" increases a monks MOV by +2. This starts them out at the same MOV as the barbarian (just like AD&D), but allows them to become super humanly fast after a time.

Also, I think to increase the damage done by the Thief's Backstab and Ranger's Giant slayer abilities the same way martial arts damage increase, by skill levels. Did you tested this and rejected the idea as too powerful ?

This is something I will think about. Thats the great thing about the PDF, I can keep it updated with good ideas as a sort of "living document". Nothing is really set in stone until Chaosium goes forth with it. Even then, theres always house rules.

I want to thank you Athanor for a couple of very good ideas. I'm not saying I will use them, but, I'm not saying I won't either. Let me playtest them a bit.

Edit: Giving it a bit more thought, I think increasing the damage further may be a bit much. In a game like AD&D, where the hit points scale with level, it makes sense to scale damage the same way, however when creatures have set hit points, it's less important to increase damage by a large degree. It made sense for the monk only becouse he is losing the ability to increase damage through better magical weapons, therefore increasing his damage as skill increases keeps him on more equal footing.

I do appreciate the ideas however, and would like your permission to approach you for possible playtesting when volume II gets closer to completion.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Giving it a bit more thought, I think increasing the damage further may be a bit much. In a game like AD&D, where the hit points scale with level, it makes sense to scale damage the same way, however when creatures have set hit points, it's less important to increase damage by a large degree. It made sense for the monk only becouse he is losing the ability to increase damage through better magical weapons, therefore increasing his damage as skill increases keeps him on more equal footing.

Good point. Maybe as an option for those like me who have the nostalgia of fun and stupid things like rangers killing orcs with a toothpick and thieves slicing in two unaware opponents. Idea was to have martial art : unarmed (monk only), martial art : back-stab (thieves only) and martial art : giants slaying (rangers only) based on the same damage bonus increasing with skill range.

I do appreciate the ideas however, and would like your permission to approach you for possible playtesting when volume II gets closer to completion

Of course you have !

Oh and something I didn't find is the starting status for multi-class characters...

Guest Vile Traveller

Firstly, apologies for not taking the time to read the whole thread - I've missed pits here and there, so I'm probably not up to speed on this at all. oops.gif

My question is about character classes - how do you make them work with BRP? Are they just professions? What mechanism stops characters from developing into generalists over time?

If any of the above has already been covered in this thread, please feel free to boot me off in that general direction! tongue.gif

(still waiting for the new smileys!)

My question is about character classes - how do you make them work with BRP? Are they just professions? What mechanism stops characters from developing into generalists over time?

Each character class functions in all ways as a profession in BRP, with the exception being that they have all been given special abilities to mimic those that they had in AD&D. These special abilities are what keep all of the characters from developing into generalists. For example, while anyone can pick locks, the thief receives a +10% bonus at character creation, allowing him to start 10% higher than any other character can begin, and when rolling for skill improvement, he gets to roll 1D8 instead of 1D6. Meaning that when it comes to picking locks, the thief should always be better than any other character. This is part of an ability I gave them called Subterfuge Proficiency, and it applies to Appraise, Hide, Stealth, Climb, Jump, Listen, Pick Locks, Pick Pockets, Spot, Traps, and Knowledge (Streetwise).

They get other abilities that make them shine when in their element as well, like as long as they are very lightly encumbered, they may dodge three times before having to apply the multiple defense roll penalty, and of course they can backstab. Which works just like Martial Arts, however only from behind.

Each class has been built in this way. It allows the normal freedom of advancement that BRP is famous for, while maintains the feel of AD&D.

As an example of just how a class is laid out, earlier I designed a Pirate class for someones Freeport campaign, while it isnt official in any way shape or form, it may help to answer some of your questions.

He be the Pirate...

Pirate

Characteristic Minimum: STR 12, CON 12, DEX 13

Alignment: You may choose to be of any alignment and there is no penalty for not adhering to it once play begins. Choose any alignment and add 5 points.

Restrictions:

Armor: Pirates typically do not wear armor as it tends to lessen the survival rate of those that fall overboard, it also negates the bonus provided by the Quick Reflexes special ability if he or she is encumbered at a level greater than Unloaded (STR x .5 ENC).

Superstitious: Pirates are a very superstitious bunch and each player is encouraged to work with the gamemaster to choose one to plague the character. Whenever the subject of the superstition is present in any situation, the fumble chance of any skill roll is doubled. This is as much to do as much to the characters extreme belief in the superstition as it it is to any actual supernatural effect. For example, Rat Beard the pirate's superstition is the very common and justified belief that a red morning sky brings ill tidings. However Rat Beard has taken it one step further and believes it means bad luck for the rest of the day as well. Because he believes it so strongly, it effects all of his skill rolls. If Rat Beard has a normal chance to Fumble a Climb roll of 98-00 for instance, during any day that began with a red sky, he will Fumble Climb rolls on a roll of 95-00.

Special Abilities:

Quick Reflexes: Pirates, when encumbered at a level no greater than Unloaded (STR x .5 ENC), receive a +10% bonus to Dodge skill as well as two extra Defense rolls before suffering the multiple Defense roll penalty. In addition Dodge skill improves at a rate of 1D8 points per skill increase instead of the normal 1D6.

Weapon Proficiency: Pirates are naturals with every class of weapon and attack, possessing an intuitive understanding of their use. They gain a +10% bonus to all attacks, natural or otherwise, and these skills may all exceed the starting skill maximum. In addition, the noted skills improve at a rate of 1D8 points per skill increase instead of the normal 1D6.

Mariner Proficiency: Pirates spend most of their lives on the open ocean, climbing the rigging of their galleons and other sailing ships, and visiting small ports throughout The Realm. Because of this they receive a +10% bonus to the following skills; Knowledge (Folklore), Navigate, Pilot (any sea vessel), Repair (Wood), Spot, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Throw. These skills may all exceed the starting skill maximum. In addition, the noted skills improve at a rate of 1D8 points per skill increase instead of the normal 1D6.

Class Skills: Climb, Dodge, Fast Talk, Hide, Navigate, Stealth, Spot, and three other skills from the following list as appropriate to concept: Appraise, Artillery, Bargain, Brawl, Climb, Command, Disguise, Etiquette (Pirates’ Guild), Grapple, Insight, Jump, Knowledge (any), Language (any), Listen, Literacy (any), Melee Weapon (any one-handed), Missile Weapon (thrown dagger, sling, hand crossbow or short bow), Persuade, Pick Locks, Pick Pockets, Pilot (Ship or Launch), Repair (any, usually Wood), Swim, Spot, or Throw.

Literate: Pirates begin with the skill Literacy (Common) at INT x2% without having to spend any skill points.

Status: Pirates begin with a Status of 40 (Lower Middle Class), but may purchase up to Status 55 (Upper Class) with class skill points. If a pirate so chooses, this may be lowered to as much as a 15, to reflect being down on his or her luck, with the points being able to be used elsewhere.

Starting Wealth: 2D6 x10 gp

Edited by threedeesix

Thanks for including the Pirate write up. I've wanted to purchase this book for a while now and seeing how you've built a character to use the BRP system but give the flavor of AD&D to the character's class/profession, really makes me want to purchase the book! Soon as I get my tax return, I know where $30.00 is going!;)

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Guest Vile Traveller

Damn you, threedeesix*, you're really making it hard for me to go through with my project of building a pure Moldvay/Cook B/X book for BRP! I may as well throw in the towel now and just get yours! cursing.gif

*in the nicest possible way, of course

Damn you, threedeesix*, you're really making it hard for me to go through with my project of building a pure Moldvay/Cook B/X book for BRP! I may as well throw in the towel now and just get yours! cursing.gif

*in the nicest possible way, of course

This project got it's start as a conversion of the Basic/Expert set way back during the playtest of BRP. It was one of several settings I used to test the system and just happened to be the one I chose to run with when Jason Durall suggested I make a proposal to Chaosium.

I made almost a 100 page conversion document for the playtest but the text is not my own so I would not feel right uploading here. Plus it's loaded with Elmore art. I do love looking through it however, for there are parts that are the direct predecessor to Classic Fantasy.

Thanks for your interest.

Rod

I don't want to go getting my hopes up, and I don't want to steal anyone elses thunder if this is actually about their book, but this is from Chaosiums website noting some of the upcoming projects...

Project 8: The first draft of this book was completed late last year. It's currently being tweaked and expanded. Art direction will begin once project five is finished.

I havn't heard one way or another, but it sure does fit the current state of Classic Fantasy. Boy, I hope so.

Rod

I have this book myself and it does do a pretty good job making me think of using BRP to revamp my D&D ver 3.5 d20 campaign but use BRP Fantasy instead.

Penn

Thanks Penn, it took a long time to write and I hope it was worth it. Vol II is proving as time consuming.

Rod

For me that love for D&D , AD&D, and ver 2.5 D&D will "always" be there. Oh I finally converted my D&D over to ver 3.5 d20 a few years back, BUT when D&D announced ver 4 D&D I said NO MORE. I refuse to revamp my system again. For a while before Pathfinder came out with their ver 3.5.1 d20 revised rules set, I was thinking about using Hero Systems Fantasy Hero v5 Revised rules set, BUT they to decided to upgrade to version 6 HS. I shook my head and said no thank you to that. Then stated looking around at different systems, and returned back to BRP d100. I have for years based many of my own House Rules off of elements taken from BRP. I started to buy everything BRP and reread the system again. I can see now for me, just redoing my game system using BRP with my own magic system would be best. It will help return me back to my roots and feelings of the past where the real goal was actually Roleplaying, not Min-Max rule bashing. Keep it simple and fun, and focus on the roleplaying...that is what I like. There is no greater feeling than to sit at the head of the table durring a game and sit back and watch ones players analize a situation and with such zeal and excitement that you can see that everyone is have a awesome time...including myself. Sitting there with my friends that have played with me for 13-15 yrs now, and watching them all talk at once. Each with their own pile of books, dice bags, figures, toy props, and there all men (5 to 7) my own rough age (late 40s to mid 50s). Now that is what gaming is all about, true table top RPGing at it's best.

I look forward to your 2nd book Rod<g>!

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.