CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

Just remember, Classic Fantasy is NOT a stand alone game. You need Basic Roleplaying for the core rules.

Is the Basic Roleplaying book absolutely necessary or can I use this with the rules from another d100 game like Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages or Stormbringer or even the BRP Quickstart rules?

Edited by mhensley

Is the Basic Roleplaying book absolutely necessary or can I use this with the rules from another d100 game like Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages or Stormbringer or even the BRP Quickstart rules?

You could at least understand the book with any of the mentioned titles. However there are several points where I direct the reader to a specif page or chapter of BRP for additional information. Also, while I did add over 150 new spells to the game, I didn't reprint all the information on the 30 that are included in the core book. I did summarize the game info on them though.

As far as I remember, the COC and Darkages character creation systems are Profession based and follow the same system as that defined in BRP so there should be no problems there. The Quickstart should be pretty good too.

I would have to say you could get by with either of those books, but questions will crop up.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Thank you Rodney for putting your time and effort on Classic Fantasy. I received mine in the mail today and have been poring over it. I can't wait for Volume II!

I'll second that thank you Rodney. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Yup. still the ol' "no table of contents, no missile weapon table" collectors edition. ;) At this point I think Chaosium is just going to wait and release it as the distribution version later this year. For those that follow Dustin's blog at Chaosium, I "think" it's project 8, but cannot confirm.

From previous blogs...

From March 1st: Project 8: The first draft of this book was completed late last year. It's currently being tweaked and expanded. Art direction will begin once project five is finished.

From March 28th: Project 8 editing will begin once Project 5 is finished. Art assignments are still a month away.

I can't say for sure, but it fits the description,

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

It's not a rough draft and the book is complete as is. There was never supposed to be anymore to volume 1. It is missing the table of contents and missile weapons tables however, but both of those are available here for download. After selling rather well, Chaosium decided to release it as a regular distribution title later this year, and I took that opportunity to add a significant amount of information to further flesh it out and expand it.

If you have no Classic Fantasy type campaign under way or starting up in the near future, I would suggest waiting for the distribution version, if however you can't wait to get playing, the monograph is here now, and fully functional.

Rod

The following addendum to Fate Points are to be in the Game Masters Spot Rules of Volume II. Those that use fate points in your campaign please try them out and let me know what yeah think. They have been incorporated due to the greater frequency of combat in the typical dungeon crawl. They also have a built in mechanic that encourages them to be used heroically in combat instead of while strolling through town. None of it is written in stone so if you see a problem let me know.

Fate Points (Addendum)

There are three changes to Fate Points as detailed on page 176 of Basic Roleplaying to better reflect the heroic nature of Classic Fantasy combat. First, as mentioned in Volume I, fate points are kept track of separately from magic points. Second, your fate point total represents the amount you have to spend per combat or hostile encounter, and replenish after the current situation has subsided. Fate points spent in non-combat situations, such as attempting to pick the lock of the mayor’s house or fast talk your way past the city guard regenerate normally, or after the next hostile encounter. This will allow the characters to be suitably heroic in battle, but not succeed 100% of the time when appraising their gems and jewelry or navigating through the wilderness, without having less fate at the start of the next combat, unless suitable time has passed. Finally, they may be spent to negate 3 points of damage per fate point instead of the other way around.

To get the feel of ADD you could base those "combat fate points" on character class, for example barbarians get 12, fighter types 10, clerics 8, rogues 6 and mages 4.

To get the feel of ADD you could base those "combat fate points" on character class, for example barbarians get 12, fighter types 10, clerics 8, rogues 6 and mages 4.

Cool idea, however I wanted to keep the majority of the Fate Point system based on that found within the BRP core rules.

Finally, they may be spent to negate 3 points of damage per fate point instead of the other way around.

However, after some serious playtesting, it was decided to go with fate points negate damage on a 1 to 1 basis. 6 fate points can be used to negate 6 damage. Fate points are best used to negate damage overkill from beasties with +4D6 damage bonuses and stuff like that.

I'll have a better idea in what way they need changing in a couple weeks when we (finally) begin my conversion of "Against the Giants". But looking at the characters; Sir Drake the Paladin, Lorissa the Half-Elf Barbarian, Rengarth the Magic-User, Alexandra the Cleric, Lilly the Halfling Thief, and Sorack the Elven Ranger, all with skills bordering 125% and some kick @$$ magic items, I think it's gonna be a slaughter. It will be fun to find out.

Rod

Rodney, regarding fate point regeneration... during the dungeon crawl, there may be 'hostile encounters' in each room. Does that mean they regenerated after each hostile encounter, even in a dungeon?

My best,

Mark

Thats one of the options I plan on playtesting in a couple weeks. If my groups kick butt characters can't hold their own against 12 or so hill giants, then I may use something like that. However, the more I look over the party, I think they will wade through the giants without so much as a scratch. If thats the case, Fate Points will be per day.

I'll keep you updated,

Rod

BTW, your personal email message box is full. But thanks for the answer!

Thanks, I received an e-mail to that effect about an hour ago and took care of it. I always forget to delete the "sent" messages.

Thanks again

Saving Throws in Chaosium's Classic Fantasy?

Excuse me for the fact that I haven't read through all of this threads contents, but has anyone written about the subject of saving throws in Classic Fantasy BRP?

I plan to run an AD&D/D&D scenario with the Classic Fantasy rules, but I can't seem to find any references on the saving throw mechanic in BRP? Suggestions??!!

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

Excuse me for the fact that I haven't read through all of this threads contents, but has anyone written about the subject of saving throws in Classic Fantasy BRP?

I plan to run an AD&D/D&D scenario with the Classic Fantasy rules, but I can't seem to find any references on the saving throw mechanic in BRP? Suggestions??!!

Saving throws are already a part of Basic Role Playing in the form of rolling on the Resistance Table and making Characteristic Rolls. For example, many of the spells will state that the casters compares his POW vs that of the target. Thats pretty much a save vs spells. Making a Dodge or Agility roll to get out of the blast radius of a fire ball is also a saving throw. When you compare your CON against the POT of poison on the Resistance Table, that would be a save vs poison, etc. You'll find the information to resist spells, poison, death, etc in the write-ups of the specific effect for the most part.

Here is how it would usually break down...

Saving throw vs Death: Could be POW vs POW, POW vs CON, or POT (Potency) vs CON depending on the situation

Saving throw vs Spell: Could be POW vs POW if it targets directly, POW vs (other characteristic), or a Dodge or Agility roll if an area of effect

Saving throw vs Poison: Usually POT (Potency) vs CON

Saving throw vs Rod, Staff, or Wand: See magic above

Saving throw vs Paralyzation: If from poison then POT vs CON, if magic POW vs. POW (or CON)

Saving throw vs Petrification: Dependent on source, probably POW vs POW (or CON)

Saving throw vs Breath Weapon: More than likely a Dodge or Agility roll as detailed in the BRP Spot rules chapter under area effect attacks.

There are many variables, but those would be the most common as far as Classic Fantasy goes.

Rod

Saving throw vs Death: Could be POW vs POW, POW vs CON, or POT (Potency) vs CON depending on the situation

Saving throw vs Spell: Could be POW vs POW if it targets directly, POW vs (other characteristic), or a Dodge or Agility roll if an area of effect

Saving throw vs Poison: Usually POT (Potency) vs CON

Saving throw vs Rod, Staff, or Wand: See magic above

Saving throw vs Paralyzation: If from poison then POT vs CON, if magic POW vs. POW (or CON)

Saving throw vs Petrification: Dependent on source, probably POW vs POW (or CON)

Saving throw vs Breath Weapon: More than likely a Dodge or Agility roll as detailed in the BRP Spot rules chapter under area effect attacks.

[...]

Many thanks for this qualitative reply! These are great ideas. I think I'll copy this and print it right out to have something to work with. As a basis for streamlining the mechanic. Yes!

I'll get right to it!

Kindest regards,

Erik.

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

The problem with BRP "saves" is that they are based on characteristics, so do not increase with "experience" (skill increase). In Moongoose RQ II you have the new skills "Evade" (begin at dex x2), "Persistence" (pow x2) and "Resilience" (conx2) which are quite similar to the DD3 saves.

In addition, the the revised PDF incorporates the errata for the first printing as well, no?

Yah, I have been fixing all the errata as I find it or as I'm notified of it. Of course, the revised PDF still isn't avliable from Chaosium as I suspect they are going to hold off and just release the revised and expanded version as the distribution book. But with a color cover and professional artwork.

Rod

The problem with BRP "saves" is that they are based on characteristics, so do not increase with "experience" (skill increase). In Moongoose RQ II you have the new skills "Evade" (begin at dex x2), "Persistence" (pow x2) and "Resilience" (conx2) which are quite similar to the DD3 saves.

Actually, I have an optional Spot Rule in Classic Fantasy volume II that states anytime a characteristic is used to resist or overcome another characteristic on the Resistance Table, that characteristic may be checked for increase just like POW, and follows the same rules. Therefore, if a character succeeds at a resistance roll comparing his CON vs the POT of a poison and succeeds, he may check to see if his CON improves at the end of the session.

It was chosen not to include this in the first book, which is primarily a players book, to instead include it in Classic Fantasy II: Gamemastery due to the fact that I made it optional and not every GM will want to use it. I do however and find it works fine.

Edit: The characteristic being resisted must be higher than the one doing the resisting just as for POW.

Another Edit: I should also point out that in Classic Fantasy, I allow the one doing the resisting to be able to roll for an increase check as well, not just the "attacker" as stated in BRP.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

One of the things that attracted me to BRP over D&D-style systems was that saves were grounded in stats, as opposed a series of numbers pulled out of a hat, so I'm glad you made the rule an option, for those of us who don't want to "go all the way" in simulating D&D-style fantasy. :)

Any word on when the revised hard copy will see distribution?