The Sci-fi game I want to play

Questbird

There has been much talk about BRP sci-fi variants on the main forums. But none of them have quite got to the game I want to play. There are a few games out there which definitely aren't BRP which are a bit closer.

The science-fiction game I want to play is:

Moderately hard science fiction

Set entirely in a future Solar System

which is not filled with horror and Cthulhoid monstrosities

but (possibly strange and Vancean) flourishing human societies in space.

No interstellar drives (except long-departed generation ships)

No aliens (except for the genetically adrift human inhabitants of future interplanetary society)

Probably no psi-powers, though I don't mind technological or biological enhancements

Book inspirations: Kim Stanley Robinson 2312, Aurora and Mars Trilogy, Cecelia Holland Floating Worlds, Charles Stross Saturn's Children, Robert Heinlein The Moon is A Harsh Mistress, Dan Simmons Ilium and Olympos, Jan Mark The Ennead, SA Corey The Expanse (I haven't read the books only seen the show), with a dash of pulpiness with Colin Greenland's Take Back Plenty or Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination.

Film inspirations: Moon, 2001, maybe some Outland or Silent Running, but not Alien.

Game inspirations: Eclipse Phase (without the extreme transhumanism), High Colonies (without the aliens), Jovian Chronicles (without the mecha), Jovian Nightmares/Cthulhu Rising (without Cthulhu), Shadows Over Sol (without the shadows), Infinity RPG (without the extra-solar planets), Traveller 2300AD (without the aliens or extra-solar planets).

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

The science-fiction game I am playing is Coriolis The Third Horizon:

Moderately hard science fiction -- well its a bit softer and star-warsy, with handwavy artifical gravity etc.

Set entirely in a future Solar System -- a set of interlinked systems, but at least of stars we know (not Sol). I wanted a constrained physical space for my sci-fi campaign, so I still got that.

which is not filled with horror and Cthulhoid monstrosities -- There's some space horror but no Cthulhu. The horror is more general uncaring universe stuff.

but (possibly strange and Vancean) flourishing human societies in space. -- Check, true dat.

No interstellar drives (except long-departed generation ships) -- Check, true dat, but there are interstellar portals created by an ancient and probably alien civilisation. But hey 2001 a Space Odyssey had that, and no one is saying that isn't hard sci fi.

No aliens (except for the genetically adrift human inhabitants of future interplanetary society) -- Almost true. No live aliens..

Probably no psi-powers, though I don't mind technological or biological enhancements. Hmm, there are psi powers.

I'm still enjoying running this game even though it hasn't exactly met my criteria. It has a great background, a human vs. human universe instead of human vs alien. The science is not totally off, eg. wormholes and generation ships vs FTL. It has a constrained area so that you probably have to return to places you've been. It has pervasive religion, which elevates any sci-fi game I think. Ruleswise, it's a simple system which suits online play.

• Like 2

There's The Expanse (books) & The Expanse (tv show); looks to be pretty close.

Proto-EclipsePhase (one of its primary inspirations) "Altered Carbon," also in book-or-tv formats.

Several of the OP's "inspriations" RPGs could very easily be run with their existing rule-sets as "THIS setting, all except for THAT element that I don't want," e.g.:

we will use the EclipsePhase setting, but most

of the transhumanism (cortical stacks, resleeving into

wild morphs) doesn't really exist 

EP is even d100-based, and ALMOST a BRP-compatible game...  b-u-t not quite!

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

There's The Expanse (books) & The Expanse (tv show); looks to be pretty close.

Proto-EclipsePhase (one of its primary inspirations) "Altered Carbon," also in book-or-tv formats.

Several of the OP's "inspriations" RPGs could very easily be run with their existing rule-sets as "THIS setting, all except for THAT element that I don't want," e.g.:

EP is even d100-based, and ALMOST a BRP-compatible game...  b-u-t not quite!

Yes I have several of those games. I think I already have enough material from all of them to make a setting and game. Just haven't done so yet. And I have to bring my players along too.