BRP Ravenloft 2.0

So, I'm hacking away at Ravenloft again. In this version I stripped out a lot of skills and I'm simplifying a few magic systems. I've changed combat a little bit as well. I also wanted to make the domain backgrounds meaningful though, so a good portion of my character creation document is going to be talking about the domains. 

This is only the first 8 pages and a character sheet. My expanded Domains and Occupations section is almost finished. I'll post them here when they are in a state to be posted. I'm still juggling the which occupations I want in which category.

As always, I appreciate any feedback ya'll might have.

BRP Ravenloft Making Characters rough.pdf BRP Ravenloft Character Sheet rough.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This look like a good start... but a lot is missing, even for character creation!

such as.. what are those dark art point?

are you sure that brawn is the average of str and siz, what kind of creature average 30? not many that's for sure?
you probably mean, the sum! ;) 

and finally we want maps! with creatures or encounters inside! :D

Dark Power points are like Allegiance from Elric!. It measures how much of an interest the Dark Powers have taken in an adventurer. Some nasty things can happen when       a character gains too many of them.

Yes, Brawn and Finesse should be averages. I was playing around with a few tables. I guess I put the wrong one into the document!

Creatures and encounters you'll have to wait on. Maps are coming with the expanded Domains, as are expanded occupation information and special abilities. I've also just started on an equipment document that is targeted to the setting. The current document is 58 pages long. Those were the eight I was comfortable with sharing. :D

On 12/9/2020 at 8:02 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

This look like a good start... but a lot is missing, even for character creation!

such as.. what are those dark art point?

Add this to the second paragraph in the Dark Powers section.

Just know that certain decisions made in game will garner your character Dark Power points. Actions have consequences in the Domains of Dread. Gaining too many Dark Power points attracts the attention of the Dark Powers. This is a dangerous path, for while it may offer up temporary power, the trade off may be your very humanity itself.

Also fixed Brawn and Finesse.

Edited by Chaot

I have an issue. I keep going back and forth on whether I want to include a Horror/Madness mechanic in this writeup. I have included one in the past based on Unknown Armies but I found it too intricate for Ravenloft. A simple mechanic like in Cthulhu would be better suited but I don't feel that the Sanity spiral is really thematic for gothic horror/adventure.

I could adapt the one published with the various D&D Ravenloft materials but I find them all to be clunky. Another option is to just run Ravenloft without a Horror/Madness mechanic. Thoughts? Opinions?

My thought is that you don't need any horror mechanic for that game....
You will be fighting hordes of undead (won't you?) it will be very different is you throw a bout of madness every few encounters....

Plus neither D&D (since Ravenloft is a D&D campaign) nor undead / dracula movie take the madness angle, why would you? I mean up to you.. but there is no madness to it.. more like normal fear.. as in.. damn, my health is low, there is like 6 vampires there .. and they regenerate, fly, etc....  No need to add madness, I want to run away perfectly lucidly! :P 

I agree and am happy to hear it backed up. These games seem to play out like a mixture of Hammer Horror, Fearless Vampire Slayers and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. If there was a madness system that worked well with that mix I would jump at it. Everything I've tried so far hasn't really worked well and I've been relatively happy with the normal fear that you mention in your post.

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Plus neither D&D (since Ravenloft is a D&D campaign) nor undead / dracula movie take the madness angle, why would you?

D&D had a Fear, Horror, Madness check that was save v. paralyzation with a Wisdom modifier. If it was a fear check you just dropped what you had and ran. Horror checks had, like, six possible reactions to the situation. Madness would give you a chance for mental afflictions. It wasn't a particularly good system, but it was there.

I'm relatively happy with the stuff I've posted so far. Next up is my take on the various power systems. They are in various states of completion. I will probably post Mesmerism stuff and Curses next.

Madness shows up primarily in integration with psychic/psionic powers, so it can be easily left out if you don't want to use them. The 'Dead Calm' psychic ability in the BGB is a nifty way to translate a Ravenloft-specific benefit given to psionicists in 2E's [i]Domains of Dread[/i], though (the ability to burn PSPs to avoid a failed madness check).

5 hours ago, Armchair Gamer said:

Madness shows up primarily in integration with psychic/psionic powers, so it can be easily left out if you don't want to use them. 

Hey AG! Long time.

Yeah, as opposed to something like Cthulhu where you are going to have multiple characters dip into insanity, I think I'd rather keep madness as a special case. I think I'd prefer madness to be the result of magic, a curse, the intervention of the Dark Powers, a trip to Vechor, a glamour from the fey in the shadowfell, stuff like that. I agree something like Dead Calm is a great approach to managing madness. I should probably work that into the Mesmerism ability.