Newbie on Trollpak

klecser

Hey all,

I haven't posted on the Runequest forums in a long time. Sadly our Runequest game has been on complete hiatus since March. 

I am reading through Trollpak right now and absolutely loving it. Such a tremendous amount of creative energy (and a great sense of humor) went into this supplement.

That's it. That's the post.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, klecser said:

Hey all,

I haven't posted on the Runequest forums in a long time. Sadly our Runequest game has been on complete hiatus since March. 

I am reading through Trollpak right now and absolutely loving it. Such a tremendous amount of creative energy (and a great sense of humor) went into this supplement.

That's it. That's the post.

One of my favourite sets.

16 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

I've been thinking about picking this up myself, but am still in the "hold on to your money" mindset. What are the key selling points to this supplement, in everyone's opinion? 

Pretty much what @Dissolv said.  Like many early RuneQuest works, it transformed that idea of another species from being NPC's to kill (e.g. orcs) into a fully playable species with a very different, yet understandable, mindset from humans.  Uz Lore taught us about their place in myth and within Time.  The Book of Uz explained how to play a troll, how their communities worked, and who their gods were (and how to join those cults).  Into Uzdom covered both human interactions with trolls (and their insects) with amusing scenarios (troll drinks at the Grogshop!, quests to Skyfall Lake and the Vale of Flowers) and whole cavern complexes to live within.  

It is still the definitive work on trolls in Glorantha.

54 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

I've been thinking about picking this up myself, but am still in the "hold on to your money" mindset. What are the key selling points to this supplement, in everyone's opinion? 

Well that depends

if you are planning to run a great game, BUY IT.

If you wish to play in a great game DO NOT BUY IT FOR YOURSELF, BUT DO BUY IT FOR YOUR FAVOURITE GM

Spending the money is not at issue, if you can afford it,  do it!

Be warned

this is a product you will prefer to play in, unaffected by spoilers, at least once!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

[Think 1950s-style cheerleading]

Oak Land Raiders are the best!
They belch and fart and $#!+ the rest!

Destruction is the Z’rak Z’ran way!

Wade on in to our trollball fray!

Enjoy the taste of your @$$

We hand it to you good and fast!

Enjoy defeat it’s all you’ll know,

Oak Land Raiders are Go!

[While a solid team in their time, with a winning record drenched in blood, their fortifications were reportedly overrun in 721 as part of the overall purge of trolls from the southern Elder Wilds, i.e. Balazar, in 721 by Aldryami and humans, leaving the Oak Land Raiders trollball team as just a footnote in troll history]
[P.S. If it could be found, the outpost is rumored to have been home to some potent anti-chaos weapons...]

See, ya'll joke about Trollball (and it is fun to do so), but I also find it to be completely on theme for the Uz and for Runequest. It was one of my favorite sections of the book. I think it is a prime example of a zero-constraints approach to supplement writing. DND books read like they were written in a Board room. Runequest reads like it was written by human beings.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

I remember being astounded by Trollpak back in the day, and for my money it’s the greatest RPG supplement ever released. It really showed what was possible, and no doubt raised the bar for RPG material. I may be biased by nostalgia, but I genuinely think that if it was released today it would sweep the floor with prizes. <wanders to shelf, opens box and inhales that wonderful, well aged 80s aroma><sigh>

On 12/10/2020 at 12:08 PM, Beoferret said:

What are the key selling points to this supplement, in everyone's opinion? 

In all the years that I've owned Tollpak (the original RQ2 edition) I've used it to play a troll character exactly once (but it was Alecks Gruntfartt while my friend played his brother Oddo -- twin Great Trolls, which technically classified them trollkin) and it was divine.  Most importantly, the supplement forever changed how I viewed non-human species in RuneQuest, and maybe every other game I played.  No more nameless, faceless hordes -- real creatures with a reason to be.  Other publications for other games have trod this ground in the years since*, but none as well and as poignantly as Sandy's Trollpak.

!i!

[*At least one of which was a barefaced and grossly inferior copy.  And I don't mean the later AH RQ3 materials.]

Edited by Ian Absentia
Pointing the pointy finger of shame.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

3 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

*At least one of which was a barefaced and grossly inferior copy.  And I don't mean the later AH RQ3 materials.

The only two I can think of are "Trolls: A Guide to the Uz" from Mongoose (which I have never seen, I had given up on Mongoose by then) and "Uz: The Trolls of Glorantha" from The Unspoken Word which I have and thought was good if not Trollpak good.

1 hour ago, DreadDomain said:

The only two I can think of are...

If your opinion is that they were at least passable, that's not it.  A hint: It was not a RQ/HQ project.  But it sure wanted to be.  Desperately.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green