The Red Book of Magic corrections thread

MOB

One thing I'm seeing here and on FB is that there's clearly some sort of font issue with the Apple/Mac display .pdf reader vs. Adobe Acrobat Reader or GoodReader when it comes to the Rune icons. Out layout artist is investigating but this might be something beyond his ability to address.

(I encountered a similar issue when working on another game line with white text layered on certain textured backgrounds... the font was simply not rendering at all.) 

If commenting about Runes being "wrong" could you identify the .pdf reader you're using?

It would save a lot of time on the "It looks correct on my screen..." front which is the bane of QA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

I'm confused about the Tree Chopping Song spell. It says: "All those influenced can use any type of axe against Aldryami of any type as if those weapons were mauls or maces."... isn't it the other way around? They can use mauls or maces as if they were axes?

The way I read it, it means they can use an axe and use their skill % in mauls or maces instead of their Axe skill %. 

• Like 1

It would also be helpful if this thread was solely confined to reporting what you see as errors or items in need of correction/clarification, versus speculation or attempts at answering the issues raised. 

Thanks!

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Did not see Absorption listed in a search so I assume this has not been noted. Kyger Lytor gives Absoprtion but in the Red Book the ruins powering the spell are Water and Harmony. While a troll with Harmony is possible and Water a little more unlike KL”s runs are Darkness and Man. Is this an oversight?

For Absorption I'm seeing Earth and Darkness

p.57:

Heat Blast

This spell can be stacked with Divine Intervention to add
one target per point.

The way this is written implies that "Divine Intervention" is a spell, which it was in a prior edition of the game. Is this a carry-over? Or do you appeal for DI, and just get as many additional targets as the die roll says?

2 hours ago, Jason D said:

If commenting about Runes being "wrong" could you identify the .pdf reader you're using?

Good point. Both of these:

On 12/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, Tindalos said:

Page 75 - Resurrect has the Fate Rune, despite nothing else appearing to. May be meant to be the Fertility/Life Rune?

17 hours ago, Tindalos said:

Page 46 - Elklegs. Is it intentional for this spell to lack the Beast Rune?

Are with adobe acrobat reader.

(In what might possibly be the most petty of the points so far...)

Page 91 - Summon Ghost. The spell says that the deceased must be in the Fourth Hell. But the guide (page 678) mentions that the souls of the dead live in the Third Hell, and that the Fourth Hell is where all undesirable things (such as hunger, madness, fear, and disease) are imprisoned instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

T

3 hours ago, Jason D said:

I had thought I had posted this late  last night, (of course posting late at night might be the prob)... the Rune font errors I mentioned were on a modern Mac with modern OS and Preview as my PDF reader. Adobe reader cleared up the problem. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

p.100:

Truespeak

Truetune

True (weapon)

True (weapon) probably should be first as spaces are usually ahead of alpha characters, unless spacing and punctuation is being ignored.

p.104:

Windwalking

Wither

Wind Warp

Wind Words

Same.

p.104:

Wolf’s Head

Wolf Hide

Same.

p.24-27:

Chaos Feature

... This spell can be cast as a one-use spell on
beings of Chaos, in which case the effects of the spell (if
they have a duration) are permanent.

Is this an exception to The Well's clarification that RP for one-use spells have to be dedicated to that spell at the point that they are gained or regained? (and yes, this is me just having a dig that the rule does not make sense, and the original RQG rules where you just spend the points permanently were much simpler)

• Like 2

p.75:

Restore Magic

As
with all one-use spells, only one instance of this spell may
be known at any given time.

This directly contradicts the rule in The Well, that was prior to this volume the only source of any information on one-use spells potentially being lost when cast once.

It is totally possible to dedicate Rune points to multiple castings, if desired, though that’s a hugely expensive thing to do in terms of spent POW and RP.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

Tanglethicket- This may be intended, but as written the thicket would not damage weapons that are attacking them as most weapons have more than 9 hit points and therefore would not be damaged "as if it parried an attack doing that much damage" assuming a normal attack and normal parry.

Tame Bull- Does it calm berserk Storm Bulls?

Transfer Pregnancy- If pregnancy for Species 1 is moved to Species 2, which species will the baby be?

Vision- Odd phrasing: "away from the spirit of the target." Might need some clarification as to intend there (discorporate characters?).

Wolf's Head- Should this have the clayday/waterday restriction also? (An aside: This name is MUCH better than the Transform Head spell names.)

Done! Now I need to prepare to wipe my party with a Dream Dragon tomorrow night! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

p.11:

Alter Spirit of Disease
1 Point
Touch, Permanent, Stackable, One-use

If the rule is that one-use spells can only be sacrificed for once in between casting, then a "Stackable, One-use" spell makes no sense. If that is in fact a general rule, then this spell description should state that it is an exception.

Alternatively, can regular non-dedicated RP be stacked with the one dedicated point when the spell is cast?

p.17: Bind Wind

p.21: Breathe Life into Art

p.45: Divination Block

p.51: Feed Ghosts

p.54: Gnome to Gargoyle, Great Leap

p.66: Moulder, Mountain Leap

p.75: Restore Magic

Aah, now it seems to be clear! Restore Magic is stackable, but explicitly states "As with all one-use spells, only one instance of this spell may be known at any given time." Therefore the rule must be that additional RP can be spent to "stack up" a stackable one-use spell. Suggest that this is made clear in the rules, as it's taken all this searching to get to the bottom of it.

That leaves one remaining question, that is not answered nor implied anywhere. Are the additional RP used to stack up a stackable one-use spell permanently lost? I guess so, as they are "used to cast" the spell.

The Stackable rule says this:

The caster can combine
several castings into one if the spell is described as
‘stackable.’

This wording is confusing and contradictory, as you can apparently only have one "casting" of a one-use spell.

• Like 2