What are the requirement to become a sartarite clan chief / tribe king-queen ?

3 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

We know that Orlanth Rex is the official King cult in Sartar, but what about other orlanthi societies? 

-Broyan does not practice it because he derives his legitimacy from his vingkotling lineage, this we know, unless I'm terribly wrong. This suscites some questions. Did the Old Hendriki (as in the Kingdom of Hendrikiland of imperial and early modern age) practice Orlanth Rex? Once the kingdom was destroyed by Belintar it was succeeded by the Sixth of Heortland, and a confederation of clans and tribes around Whitewall, either called Volsaxi Conf. or New Hendrikiland. Did the Kings of Heortland under Belintar practice Orlanth Rex? Was the vingkotling kingship ritual of Broyan used by his predecessors or was he the first to use it? What about Heortland in 1625, has anybody called him/herself King after Broyan's death? 

According to History of the Heortling Peoples, in the years after the Machine Wars, the Hendreiki apparently got into contact with Alakoring and the Old Day Traditionalists north of draconic Kerofinela, and the cult of Orlanth Rex made it across Dragon Pass just before the EWF collapsed to the mass utuma.

The short-lived tribal kingdoms following the mass utuma of 1042 apparently also adopted the Orlanth Rex model rather than retaining the priestly council of the Kingdom of Orlanthland, and many of those folk had managed to flee south before the True Golden Horde arrived in their lands and triggered the Dragonkill. Hence the wide-spread use of Orlanth Rex tribal kings in Sartar.

Vingkotling lineage kingship has been rare within Time. The House of Sartar apparently used the Orlanth Rex rites while taking Vingkotling inheritance into consideration for the candidates for Orlanth Rex kingship. Yanasdros of Tarsh probably claimed Orlanth Rex magics as well after taking over the throne from his resigning father. No idea whether he had a twin sister high priestess of the Shakers, or whether the term "Twins dynasty" referred to its founders only.

The administration of Heortland under Belintar and his governor kings is still quite hazy. The cities here apparently were administrated by mayors who would be in charge of the city militias, too. The surrounding rural clans may have not have tribal kings but may have looked to the city administration to take that role, or Belintar's officials in the cities.

-The Galanini (ralian orlanthi) don't practice Orlanth Rex according to what I have read here before but I'm not sure, also can't make it up from the Guide. 

Alakoring - the chief missionary and possibly creator of the Orlanth Rex cult - was a Ralian Orlanthi. The concept of these quite absolute powers may have come from influences of the more solar oriented Enerali.

-In Fronela the jrustelans definitively don't practice Orlanth Rex, they are too influenced by western culture, especially the ruling classes. I don't know how they justify their kingships but it's not with Orlanth Rex. The oranori may do it, IDK.

Jonating kingship appears to have a linealist approach, much like the Sartar dynasty, in this case leading back to Jonat Big Bear. The Command Priests magic certainly is attractive to their approach to kingship. Living just one mountain pass away from Alakoring's homelands, I am fairly certain that they had time to encounter and - if desired - adopt the concept of the Rex kingship.

Oranor I am less sure about. They are pretty isolated, and Harmast may have been pretty much their last contact with non-Malkionized Orlanthi.

Caladralanders don't look to Orlanth for leadership.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Not yet, though there are those who would like to.

Do you know where to look for names and specific situations of post-Broyan Heortland?

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The administration of Heortland under Belintar and his governor kings is still quite hazy. The cities here apparently were administrated by mayors who would be in charge of the city militias, too. The surrounding rural clans may have not have tribal kings but may have looked to the city administration to take that role, or Belintar's officials in the cities.

I read in a post here somewhere that tribes in Belintar's Heortland were rare (or absent, or even forbidden), and that they mostly organized themselves by clans, so there would be no need for a Rex cult. In the cities my take based on the Guide is that they were administered mainly by esvulari officials appointed by Belintar, and that's why the kingdom of New Malkonwal was able to be formed, despite being a malkionist enterprise engineered by a bunch of merenaries, because they had the support of the factual rulers of the cities and the armies. Of course the fact that Heortland had been razed by lunars a few years ago, had lost its two major figures of government that year and were being raided by an army of bloodthirsty pirates led by a bear-skinned madman didn't help to make it easy for the heortlanders to throw themselves into an open rebellion to support the king of the barbarian rebels of the north.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Alakoring - the chief missionary and possibly creator of the Orlanth Rex cult - was a Ralian Orlanthi. The concept of these quite absolute powers may have come from influences of the more solar oriented Enerali.

Makes total sense, I just remembered to have read that galanini didn't practice it, I must have read wrong.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Jonating kingship appears to have a linealist approach, much like the Sartar dynasty, in this case leading back to Jonat Big Bear. The Command Priests magic certainly is attractive to their approach to kingship. Living just one mountain pass away from Alakoring's homelands, I am fairly certain that they had time to encounter and - if desired - adopt the concept of the Rex kingship.

Oranor I am less sure about. They are pretty isolated, and Harmast may have been pretty much their last contact with non-Malkionized Orlanthi.

Nice catch, I always mess up the names of Jonatela and Jrustela.

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

54 minutes ago, Jape_Vicho said:

I read in a post here somewhere that tribes in Belintar's Heortland were rare (or absent, or even forbidden), and that they mostly organized themselves by clans, so there would be no need for a Rex cult.

Correct, no tribes (except for occasional Volsaxi rebellions), just clans.  With Belintar's presence (there is a reason he is called the "God"-king), that level of leadership was not required.

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Do you know where to look for names and specific situations of post-Broyan Heortland?

Not much yet published.  The Olontongi tribe are briefly mentioned in the Pegasus Plateau book.  Their "clans" are the war bands that followed Broyan in freeing Heortland and Whitewall.  They are centered on Newtown below Whitewall.  But their leader has to deal with the rivals including the Kultain, the Sylangi, and the Balmyr plus the Volsaxi clans that were led directly by Broyan.   Specific situation will be a complex multi-leader struggle to see who (if anyone) emerges as strongest - and they all will try to take tribute from merchants heading to/from Sartar.

For the most prominent troll:  GtG p.249 "Obash Broos-Smasher: A dark troll warleader from the Shadow Plateau, whose magical guardian is a petty storm god. A Shadowlord of Argan Argar, Obash does not denigrate humans who also worship the god. He and his clan claim ownership of the roads to Dragon Pass, and often raid north into Sartar, and against Lunar convoys as well."  While the folks around Whitewall are enmeshed in petty power struggles, Obash undoubtedly reasserts the Shadow Tribute between Karse and Whitewall.

Farther south, there are struggles for leadership in the cities (remember that the Lunars were driven out in mid-1624 by Broyan with aid from Argrath and Harrek) in this post-Belintar, post-Rikard, post-Lunar world, and there are no tribes, so no tribal leaders - just lots of small, rival clans.  There are still Wolf Pirates around who want their loot.  And then there is Queen Gagix, leader of 4 tribes of scorpionmen and they will be erupting out of the Footprint.

• Like 3