Open seas

Tupper

30 minutes ago, Tupper said:

When I had a look at the Red Book of Magic today, I expected to see Open Seas as a rune spell (presumably to be granted by Dormal).  I didn’t find it there. So... is Sorcery the only way to open the seas?  

Since ye ancient Gods of Glorantha described Open Seas as a sorcery spell in the Dormal shortform, it was never not going to be anything else.  

As the seas were "closed" by sorcery, seems to me fair to see only sorcery able to "open" them.

In another hand, divine magic can help you to manage the seas too, but in another way (float for example, I have not yet the red book so you may find other divine helps)

Remember that the craddle was able to travel on the seas, without dormal magic

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Remember that the craddle was able to travel on the seas, without dormal magic

To be fair, we have no details of what did or didn't happen after it went to sea. We only know that Harrek and his Wolf Pirates met it at some point. Any captain could have blessed the cradle, if only to curry favour with the giants. Magasta himself could of carried it safely through, but only those aboard at the time would actually know.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/