RBOMG!

PhilHibbs

1 hour ago, Byll said:

I suppose one could reduce the SIZ required by placing the illusory sight behind an obstruction of some sort? Or would that be cheating? 

Since illusion magic is essentially cheating to begin with, manipulating to the utmost it is probably OK.

Or, use a very thin illusion. Very, very thin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Switch Places is mentioned under Donandar in the Runequest Classics - Cult Compendium (if I ever knew, I'd forgotten). There it says -

It allows the priest to trade places with the apparition, which must be visible to the priest performing the transfer.

So maybe it doesn't matter if other people can or can't see the illusory sight, and the caster can switch places with an illusory sight produced by Hallucinate (giving 12 points worth of illusions perceptible only by the caster) 

17 hours ago, Byll said:

Switch Places looks cool at first sight, but relies on having produced an Illusory Sight of the caster.

Illusory Sight covers a volume of SIZ 3, so a typical adventurer of SIZ 12 would need to know Illusory Sight 4 before they could Switch Places.

I suppose one could reduce the SIZ required by placing the illusory sight behind an obstruction of some sort? Or would that be cheating? 

Since illusion magic is essentially cheating to begin with, manipulating to the utmost it is probably OK.

The spell doesn't say the illusion has to be of the caster, just that this is a common usage for it.

By the wording the caster could create a small jar and swap places with that, the swap would just be very obvious in this case. This could still be useful for covering a short distance in a pinch (160 meters), or getting to hard-to-reach places.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Dom Twist pointed out in the Other Place that about 90% of the rules lookups at his table are spell-related. This is a phenomenally useful reference text if you're actually playing the game, and will become more so when there are cults in play that weren't in the core rules.

@Jason D also discusses the great utility of TRBoM for RuneQuest players and GMs in this Q&A interview:

The Red Book of Magic: an essential RuneQuest expansion for players and Gamemasters alike

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 4:28 PM, Eff said:

I'm not sure if this is an oversight or intentional, but most of the bodily transformation magics say "target" rather than "caster", suggesting they can be used to transform people other than the caster. (There are a few that do say "caster", including Transform Self, and I'm assuming that cult limitations hold for all of them even if not explicitly spelled out.) This suggests that Hsunchen don't all have to have 8 Rune Points stocked up to change shape. 

My understanding (from previous threads about how shapeshifter magic kinda sucks) was that it's possible these spells are mostly cast at a group by the wyter or some priest figure? Like, the Telmori clan chieftain/wyter casts it on a bunch of warriors on Wildday before heading out for a raid, for instance. It makes the super expensive spells somewhat manageable thanks to the group discount the wyter gets, but of course that doesn't improve anything for PCs and lone Odayla hunters living in the woods.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

19 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Like, the Telmori clan chieftain/wyter casts it on a bunch of warriors on Wildday before heading out for a raid, for instance. It makes the super expensive spells somewhat manageable thanks to the group discount the wyter gets, but of course that doesn't improve anything for PCs and lone Odayla hunters living in the woods.

Any Telmori Wyter would be unlikely to cast transformation magics because the Telmori are forced to do so every week.

7 hours ago, metcalph said:

Any Telmori Wyter would be unlikely to cast transformation magics because the Telmori are forced to do so every week.

So they don't need to spend any RPs? It just happens?

Then replace "Telmori" with "any Hsunchen tribe" in my post.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

If they want to transform on other days, then they would use their magic.

Ah ok thanks. I got mixed up because in RQG the spell Transform Self can only be cast on Wildday so it makes it weird for these cases (I don’t have the Bestiary or RBoM on hand to check the differences with the Telmori or new write up).