Lanbril and Eurmal

Jape_Vicho

21 hours ago, aumshantih said:

the Theft / Unequal Exchange Rune

This makes me consider Lanbril's relationship with Argan Argar--because really, doesn't the thievery god necessarily have something to do with the god of shadow and Equal Exchanges?  Particularly since Argan Argar priests were the de facto kings of Esrolia from before the Dawn through Belintar's conquest (excepting Palangio's interregnum), presiding over one of the natural centers of Lanbril worship in Genertela.

In line with the idea that the Lanbril cult has characteristics of ancestor worship, I could see Lanbril of Nochet being thought of as one of Argan Argar's children with Esrola in the Storm Age, a thief-hero of God Time Nochet become a minor deity, whose own descendants (literal and adopted) persist in the shadows and unsavory corners of the great city.  I could see a practical, if informal, relationship between the Argan Argar and Lanbril cults where the Lanbril thieves were permitted to operate with limited scrutiny by the Shadowlords, who are well-equipped to thwart thieves with Darksense and the Safe rune spell, on the condition of cutting the Argan Argar temple in on a share of the loot on appropriate holy days, and performing some sanctioned thievery on behalf of the Shadowlords to correct imbalances and discrepancies in the Equal Exchange.

This could've made Arkat's Dark Empire a major vector for the spread of organized Lanbril crime families in the late First/early Second ages, facilitating as it did commerce and migration between Esrolia and Ralios, both human and troll.

Given all of the above, I have a sudden suspicion that a version of the Lanbril cult is probably alive and well among the trollkin of Esrolia and the Shadow Plateau.

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dumuzid said:

I could see a practical, if informal, relationship between the Argan Argar and Lanbril cults where the Lanbril thieves were permitted to operate with limited scrutiny by the Shadowlords, who are well-equipped to thwart thieves with Darksense and the Safe rune spell, on the condition of cutting the Argan Argar temple in on a share of the loot on appropriate holy days, and performing some sanctioned thievery on behalf of the Shadowlords to correct imbalances and discrepancies in the Equal Exchange.

As long as they pay their share of the Shadow Tribute, I'd expect that such a relationship would be tolerated.  And the great Houses of Esrolia would make use of such to keep their rivals in check.

I think you'll also find other, perhaps rival, thieves who worship Argan Argar's mother, Xentha, goddess of Night.

• Like 3