Sorcery Spell conflagration

Glyph

I've a player who has newly acquired the sorcery spell conflagration, and I think I've managed to overthink this and confuse myself how it works!

The spell says if cast at a person it does damage until they move away - so is it the victim who is set ablaze, in which case I assume a Pow vs Pow is required? And is the damage general hit points (so does the weakest armour protect) or to a rolled location?

However, if it's the victim how do they then move away? So maybe it's the area they are standing in - in which case is it still Pow vs Pow or should they get a Dex x3 roll to get out the way (similar to Create Fissure)? Also if it's the area on fire is the damage rolled against each leg as per the fire rules (P157 of rule book)?

I'd be very grateful for any views on this!

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

The spell says if cast at a person it does damage until they move away - so is it the victim who is set ablaze, in which case I assume a Pow vs Pow is required?

looking at the spell, page 392.

This spell summons a fire into existence at a place within the range of the spell.

It can be anywhere, even floating. it doesn't need fuel as it's magically sustained and lasts until the spell ends. If you cast it a a person, you randomly target (as with all spells) and as no details are mentioned, it's POW vs POW as per Resisting Spells page 244.

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

And is the damage general hit points (so does the weakest armour protect) or to a rolled location?

Rolled location. As to armour, that's a GM call I would say depending on what they are wearing. It's heat so maybe metal without padding doesn't protect. 

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

However, if it's the victim how do they then move away?

The fire remains where it is. Hopefully the target has a place to move to.

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

So maybe it's the area they are standing in - in which case is it still Pow vs Pow

If it wasn't cast at them they don't get POW vs POW

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

or should they get a Dex x3 roll to get out the way (similar to Create Fissure)?

That's a gM call too, depending on the situation.

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

Also if it's the area on fire is the damage rolled against each leg as per the fire rules (P157 of rule book)?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Glyph said:

I'd be very grateful for any views on this!

See Conflagration in the Q&A for some more info, there also some other info further up the page about POW vs POW with sorcery.

There is also a thread on this forum, where if you get stuck you can ask questions about the rules: RuneQuest Core Rules Questions.

• Like 1