Red Book of Magic: Add Spell-to-Cult Associations Table

Arcadiagt5

I think my post on a similar subject may have gotten deleted from the corrections thread (although I've no message to say so), but I think the RBoM would greatly benefit from a table with the following columns: Spell name, Runes, Cults that teach the spell.

It isn't always clear from the descriptions. e.g. if a spell has the Harmony rune I don't think it's right to assume that all 5 of the cults in the RQG rulebook with the Harmony rune get it. 

• Like 1

They should update the rune spell list from the references booklet in the box set with the new spells and add cults for each as a pdf that comes with the product, similar to how they have done character sheets. A very few may have too many cults due to associations and such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorus said:

They should update the rune spell list from the references booklet in the box set with the new spells and add cults for each as a pdf that comes with the product, similar to how they have done character sheets. A very few may have too many cults due to associations and such.

That would also be necessary I think. 

The more I think about this, the less practical I think it would be. The list of rune spells is huge, any chart cross-referencing them would be really hard to lay out correctly.

Here's the data just for rune cross referencing. Obviously you'd want to mirror it so the spells go down the rows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wxSvlDR_FnEuboJ4Mso57ULC6WDTMFNAQU8gHrsUyOE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Fair point. In that case the alternative is to list the relevant cults in the description of each spell.

Although, there's an existing table in the GMs reference which currently runs to 2 pages in two columns with subcolumns for Name/Runes/Cost.

So... going to single width with a Cults column added would probably run to 6 pages. Yes, that's probably quite large, but I think I'd still find it useful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, PhilHibbs said:

The more I think about this, the less practical I think it would be. The list of rune spells is huge, any chart cross-referencing them would be really hard to lay out correctly.

This is exactly why we considered the issue carefully, explored some options, and decided against it. 

• Thanks 2

If you have a specific question ("which cult can I get this spell from?"), ask it here and I'll try to answer it.

If you want to know everything, you'll need to wait for the Cults books, which will tell you almost everything. (There are spells in the RBoM that won't be in the Cults books)

The Red Book of Magic is designed to be a handy reference text when you're playing RuneQuest ("What does this spell on my character sheet do?") -- it isn't meant to do what you want to use it for ("How can I get this spell onto my character sheet?"). You'll probably be frustrated with it until you internalise this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

OK, thanks. Is there some way to get the necessary guidance though? Or do we just have to wait for Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha?

All these new spells belong to cults that have yet to be covered, or subcults of existing cults. 

We did not think it was useful to provide info about what cult or subcult teaches a particular spell when the players don't yet know anything about that subcult. To make that useful, we'd have to put the cults book out beforehand. 

Think of this like an equipment book. You need the stats for a broadsword. Those are in the book. When you need them, you can open the book and there they are. Your character doesn't use a rhomphia, so there's no need to consult the description of that weapon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those with older editions of Classic RQ and RQ3, I suspect you can find 90% of the spells or their RQG versions in the respective cults books.

@GianniVacca's Timinits & Trolls blog has sources for the spirit magic in part 2 of his analysis: https://2ndage.blogspot.com/2020/12/analysis-of-red-book-of-magic-part-two.html

If you've not bought all of the Classic RQ PODs or PDFs, or even the Cult compendium...

I think the full writeup of Ernalda was only in the RQ3 boxed set. But the short version is in RQG so shouldn't matter.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/