Experiences with Orgorvale Summer? (spoilers)

Scorus

Thanks for this thread, folks. I have just hit this point in my campaign and have been scratching my head over where to take the cult of Orgorvale Summer. 

The Dragon of Thunder Hills, in which she appears, proved to be a very enjoyable scenario, and one which has considerably more to it than appears at first glance:

Spoiler

There's meeting the dragonewts and taking on the task of utuma, helping the burning stead, taking the kids to Clearwine (a first visit for the PCs), meeting Leika, meeting Tarndisi (and elves for the first time for my players new to Glorantha), possibly fighting Redeye the boar (which we didn't do), seeking the weapons at Old Grave, finally exploring the Queen's Tomb and fighting Yerezum Storn. Yet to come, to bring it to a close, is taking the dragon's head to the dragonewt plinth.

It's kept us going for five 2hr sessions and has been useful in introducing the new players to many elements of Glorantha in a meaningful way. It has also given them some great rewards that make them feel like they're achieving something, as well as integrating them into the milieu. I can heartily recommend it.

We have been playing with the characters from the Starter Set, and what a disparate bunch they are, seemingly only held together by their hatred for Lunars and their shared experience of fighting at the battle of Dangerford. Why doesn't Vishi just pootle off back to Prax when he's meant to spend 90% of his time with his mentor shaman? But that question, and others similar relating to the rest of the PCs, belongs in another thread.

So, to get back on topic, though the above comment is relevant, and though the relationship with Orgovale Summer has just begun, here's where our group is:

• Aranda of Nochet, axe maiden of Babeester Gore, has taken on the role of priestess at Orgorvale's request, having the strongest relationship to Earth of all the PCs.
  • Vishi Dunn, with his high Man rune, has become an initiate.
  • In both above cases, from a campaign point of view, this strengthens their roots in Sartar and starts to answer some of the questions about what they are still doing here. Aranda's player was feeling that she was bit of a one-trick pony (good with axe), so this has given her more depth and a purpose that will be expressed in play.
  • They have cleared all evidence of the dragon and it's worship from the tomb, respecting the spirits loyal to Orgorvale that were already there. She granted some treasure to Arranda.

They left Orgorvale sitting atop the mound, it sprouting with the wild flowers of spring (for it is sea season) wherever she treads. Leika has given them suitable rewards, as per the scenario. Also, I note this on p22 of the GM Screen Adventure Book (GMSAB):

Legends hold that Orgorvale, daughter of the demigod Vingkot, built [Clearwine's] cyclopean walls in the Lesser Darkness to house her treasures.

This gives Leika and the Colymar extra reason to become involved with the Orgorvale's cult. Having had Sorala the Lhankor Mhy scribe just join the party, this gives the new player a role in passing this fact on to Leika and the Colymar ring. Given the grand Earth temple of Clearwine, there is a natural relationship to develop here. 

Other thoughts:

• An earth goddess next to the forest of Tarndisi seems like a natural fit, Aldrya being friendly to Eiritha (Cults of Prax) and presumably other Earth related deities. This could resolve the difference between the Colymar and Tarndisi, apparently beacause, as Leika says, "I doubt the Dryad has any love for us after our support of the Temple of the Wooden Sword," (GMSAB p109). If anyone can enlighten me as to what that's all about, please, go ahead. I've not found anything that sheds any useful light on it.
  • Those who accept and join in worship of Orgrvale Summer will have a harvest bonus this year. Relevant to the PCs, who have been granted land in Nymie Vale as their reward.
  • Whilst roleplaying Orgorvale, I got in the habit of calling her people (those she once had) 'people of the vale.' This seems a reasonable fit, from both her name and the fact that there are a number of areas described as vales around Queen's Tomb. She will expect worship from and will support her people of the vale.
  • I didn't find the description of her area of influence very useful, from the River to Prax. What River? That took a bit of hunting down – it's the one heading N out of Upland Marsh. Please, scenario writers, not everyone has your knowledge of Glorantha, be explicit in such things, even, you know, put in a little map if necessary. I'll look at the maps and mark out what seems appropriate – all those vales maybe.
  • It is no longer Queen's Tomb, she is alive and well, so it shall become Queen's Temple.
  • Temples to her will be modelled on Queen's Temple, though no need for such a scale. For casual worship a mound of fertile earth over stones will be adequate.
  • She can be worshipped at Ernalda temples also, being part of her pantheon.
  • Aranda will be expected to recruit cult members and carry out rituals at the Queen's Temple on High Holy and Seasonal holy days, whenever the latter shall be.

I'll leave it at that, and confess I've been using this thread to think out loud and get down some of the ideas that have been nebulously floating around my head since our Thursday session.

1 hour ago, Cloud64 said:

If anyone can enlighten me as to what that's all about, please, go ahead. I've not found anything that sheds any useful light on it.

See here and then the linked thread from that discussion:

I can say very little else of assistance, as my players have just awakened Orgorvale Summer, and the repercussions have yet to be played out, and I don't want to share my thinking online! In my group, one Orlanthi and one Ernaldan chose to become initiates, which is nice given that Orgorvale is considered to be grand-daughter of both Orlanth and Ernalda.

• Thanks 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

1 hour ago, Cloud64 said:

I didn't find the description of her area of influence very useful, from the River to Prax. What River? That took a bit of hunting down – it's the one heading N out of Upland Marsh. Please, scenario writers, not everyone has your knowledge of Glorantha, be explicit in such things, even, you know, put in a little map if necessary. I'll look at the maps and mark out what seems appropriate – all those vales maybe.

My Best guest, after doing a lot of searching around was that Orgorvale Summer's region/are of of influence was bordered by the three main rivers and the extent of the one mountain range. But I could be wrong about this.

Runequest_Orgorvalsummer_map.png

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, skulldixon said:

My Best guest, after doing a lot of searching around was that Orgorvale Summer's region/are of of influence was bordered by the three main rivers and the extent of the one mountain range. But I could be wrong about this.

Runequest_Orgorvalsummer_map.png

Her tribe covered all of Old Sartar, plus the lands now covered by the Upland Marsh. Ulaninstead was the capital, in Killard Vale east of Boldhome, but Clearwine was an Orgovaltes fortress, too. So yes to the River and the Creek, but also lands south of the Stream, and to the east all the way toward Prax.

Telling how it is excessive verbis