I want to be a baboon!

Paid a bod yn dwp

I get that there are other limitations for a baboon, but that enormous strength looks just absurd to me, I mean imagine if the party has to lift a rock and the only one who can is a 1'40m tall monkey. Also look at the pre-gens for exemple, Cousin Monkey is the strongest one of the whole squad, even more than Vasana and Vostor who are professional warriors, and it's just a sidekick for a guy that also has a huge riding animal!

Btw I would love to see the face of a Lhankor Mhy priest that gets asked by a baboon to be initiated. 

• Haha 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

4 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

There’s only one top banana in Prax, and we all know who that is. 

Mello?

4 hours ago, metcalph said:

Can't see any limitations.   Seven Mothers and Orlanth would accept Baboons for example.  It would be rather unusal bur it wouldn't be impossible.

Yes sir, agreed! Acccording to MOB, the Yelmalians would have a problem, (well, they have a problem, that much is obvious to me) with baboons (despite all efforts by our hero, Mello to win them over including a full brazilian <OUCH> and dying himself the same colour as Yelm). But otherwise, Orlanth, Check, Lhankor Mhy, check, Issaries check... I am beginning to see a pattern here. CA check... DF check...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

22 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Acccording to MOB, the Yelmalians would have a problem, (well, they have a problem, that much is obvious to me) with baboons (despite all efforts by our hero, Mello to win them over including a full brazilian <OUCH> and dying himself the same colour as Yelm). But otherwise, Orlanth, Check, Lhankor Mhy, check, Issaries check... I am beginning to see a pattern here. CA check... DF check...

Lhankor Mhy? That would enable a baboon sorceror. YES!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Page 28-29 of the Glorantha Bestiary is where you will find good starting info on Baboons.  Along with Agimori, Morokanth, Basmoli, the Baboons are a foot tribe of Prax. The information in the bestiary is somewhat rudimentary, offering only the background professions of Troop Baboon and Apprentice Shaman.  The Baboons of Prax largely don't get involved in human matters.  They don't fight over oases and herds, and take the Red Moon as a signal of submission from humans to the greatness of Baboons.  Humans are likely somewhat suspicious and skeptical of Baboons, as they are beast men from Prax and sometimes seem a lot more beast than man.  To suggest humans will simply accept Baboons into their sacred mysteries is a stretch.  Baboons are outsiders even from Praxian society, dwelling at the fringes of the nomad culture, and definitely barely a part of it.  I don't see many cult organizations rushing to accept Baboons into their ranks, and most will be treated with the disdain that Melo Yelo meets from the Yelmalios.  They might make it to Lay Members, but they will have to prove very fanatical and competent to make initiate, and will need to be far better than all potential human candidates, because any human will be promoted ahead of them.  This is not to suggest that such a character can't succeed, but they will be turning their back on their own culture in order to try to become part of a human culture that really doesn't want them there without really good reason.  In terms of starting history, Baboons have not been substantially involved in humanity's wars, for example they are not mentioned as even being part of the Battle of Moonbroth, and it is likely that many of the military engagements had no bearing on a Baboon's family.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

The whole poo throwing thing is also a detriment to acceptance in the better circles of society...

People just need to chill with a ripe banana. Throwing poo is the most direct and effective form of communication. It’s the pinnacle of Praxian civilisation, of which the baboons lead by example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Btw I would love to see the face of a Lhankor Mhy priest that gets asked by a baboon to be initiated. 

Some intellectual snobs may make a point of it, just to show their disdain for the work of their competitors.  Academic politics...

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can we at least say ook

I'm a bit vague when it comes to zoology, but I though they barked.

8 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Btw I would love to see the face of a Lhankor Mhy priest that gets asked by a baboon to be initiated

However, I did know that Ancient Egyptians considered baboons to be sacred, and related them with Thoth, the God of letters.

So, perhaps there might be an opening for Librarian after all.  Just don't return the books late, or the Librarian rips your arms off...

3 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

However, I did know that Ancient Egyptians considered baboons to be sacred, and related them with Thoth, the God of letters.

Well now we're getting into the mythic background of the Praxian baboons, when they had a sophisticated urban civilization in Genert's Garden.  A baboon might find precedents for all sorts of occupations and cult affiliations if a Daka Fal shaman were able to look back far enough to see lives lived in the Monkey City, which are now the Monkey Ruins of Prax.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Well now we're getting into the mythic background of the Praxian baboons, when they had a sophisticated urban civilization in Genert's Garden.  A baboon might find precedents for all sorts of occupations and cult affiliations if a Daka Fal shaman were able to look back far enough to see lives lived in the Monkey City, which are now the Monkey Ruins of Prax.

They ruled all of Genert's Garden, or how else do you explain the ruins of Kang Luway's palace on the Teshnan border?  (Guide vol.2, p.433)

And given the 'rilla population in Caladraland, probably even beyond the area now called the Wastes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 minutes ago, Joerg said:

They ruled all of Genert's Garden, or how else do you explain the ruins of Kang Luway's palace on the Teshnan border?  (Guide vol.2, p.433)

And given the 'rilla population in Caladraland, probably even beyond the area now called the Wastes.

Is there a connection between the Genertelan baboons and the intelligent gigantopithecus apes of northern Pamaltela?

On 12/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Ok so what’s the recommended procedure in RQG for rolling up a hairy smelly baboon character? What previous history could I use in RQG? 

You need the core rules and the Bestiary. You need to decide what kind of baboon you are - a normal baboon or a get up and go adventurer.

For the family history of a normal baboon, use this table for every year:

1–19 A normal year.

20 Died of other causes, see Random Causes of Death table (page 35).

For a get up and go adventurer use the standard Praxian background, substituting Bestiary info where appropriate.

Occupations: as per bestiary for normal baboons, use the standard range for adventurers.

Cults. Any appropriate cult, including Grandfather Baboon, Monkey King for nobles (Beast, Earth), Mother Baboon (Harmony, Life, Earth). For get up and go adventurers, any cult that works for you. There are few cults a determined baboon can't join.

Don't forget Baboons are fully integrated into Prax (and some in the wastes). They took part in Jaldon's wargame scenarios (see Nomad Gods)

INDEPENDENT_BABOON_TROOP.png.faa0f92c7b9f08332d892cb2881a0d93.png

One final note, as baboons start with a high beast (80%), get up and go adventurers may start with beast/man at 50%, but can't buy down their beast rune further than 50%. These normally leave the their troop and travel the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

22 minutes ago, David Scott said:

One final note, as baboons start with a high beast (80%), get up and go adventurers may start with beast/man at 50%, but can't buy down their beast rune further than 50%. These normally leave the their troop and travel the world.

This makes a baboon initiating to Daka Fal extremely hard. What's the work-around for that?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

37 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

This is all great, I think I’ve found my comfort zone. 2021 is going to be the year of the baboon. Thanks all

*hums to himself* “Hey hey we’re the Monkies! We keep monkeying around...”

Make sure to check this post if you haven't already, it talks about the baboons of the Elder Wilds, descendents of a group that migrated there some time ago. I don't really know if it's canon as I have not digged into the region yet but it's soo good it's definitely in MG. 

http://www.backtobalazar.com/baboons-of-the-elder-wilds/

35 minutes ago, Joerg said:

This makes a baboon initiating to Daka Fal extremely hard. What's the work-around for that?

They substitute all DF spells that use Man for Beast. So the beastier the better.

• Like 4

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

42 minutes ago, Joerg said:

It's been an odd problem in the Bestiary since publication. Grandfather Baboon uses the Man rune and that baboons start with 80% Beast. IMO Grandfather Baboon uses the Beast rune not the man rune. Makes it all much easier. Conflicted baboons can join both Daka Fal and Grandfather baboon.

• Like 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

13 hours ago, soltakss said:

Looking at Cults of Prax, they can join Daka Fal, Storm Bull, Yelmalio, the Seven Mothers, Orlanth, Chalana Arroy, Issaries, Lhankor Mhy and Humakt, even though Eurmal isn't in CoP they could join that cult as well. Plus many of the sacred societies of Prax.

Except... CoP isn't RQG.

And the RQG Bestiary only gives the options I gave above.

12 hours ago, Darius West said:

Some intellectual snobs may make a point of it, just to show their disdain for the work of their competitors.  Academic politics...

Find out who gets to assign research assistants to rivals. That’s the bugger who keeps initiating baboons.

• Haha 1