I want to be a baboon!

Paid a bod yn dwp

13 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Yes, but does that count as herd?

If they are marching on the ground, they are an army... or at least that's the collective noun for fleas.. so each baboon has a herd of armies which can be unleashed on unsuspecting victims

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Well if you want, you can make your baboon be part of the Sartarite culture, having grown up in the same tribe as the other PCs for some reason or other. Culture is different from race/species.

Overheard in at a village cidersup in Sartar:

"Yeah, 'e's a monkey, what of it?

'e's a dab 'and wiv a sling, gets the crop in, and mucks in wiv the rest of us. You got a problem wiv 'im; you got a problem wiv us."

Seperate thought:

I don't see Gloranthans understanding racism as we see it. Their bigotries are based on religious and tribal/clan/city affiliations. IMG Mello Yello would be refused entry to Yelmalio, esp. in Sun County, because he'd make a crap spearman and weaken the shieldwall, not because he's a baboon. Prejudice against Praxians in Pavis is because they tried to burn the place down, not because they're viewed as some sort of sub-human. Gloranthan bigotry is founded in actions, either godtime or historical, not in a theory based on bastardised science.

Edited by Rob Darvall
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kloster said:

Yes. For me, most baboons are standard, normal praxians. The only trouble I see is that they don't have a tribe herd animal.

I wouldn't say they're considered "normal" Praxians, but I do get the impression that they're generally (if grudgingly) accepted as Praxians, and an independent tribe in their own right. Same with the Agimori and (maybe emphasis on grudgingly accepted) the Basmoli.

A polite summons to trifletraxor is one method, click on the three dots upper right of your post and report it with a message might be good too What you did is what a lot of us do, say, sorry duplicate post and then you can mention it to the boss here (trifletraxor) and carry on.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Well if you want, you can make your baboon be part of the Sartarite culture, having grown up in the same tribe as the other PCs for some reason or other. Culture is different from race/species.

My point about culture is that if any gloranthan community (so even smaller than culture) can hate (or another verb) people from their own species just because their culture or their history (500 years ago our ancestor was killed by them, so that is good if you kill them) or their religion differs, it is difficult to me to imagine the same guys accepting with open arms other species, even with known tribe/clan tattoos or other shared cultural signs.

But for sure we can imagine that a baboon was adopted by a clan and succeed to join a not standard-baboon cult. I would play that but that doesn't mean the social interactions will be the same than the same pc but human

And that is the same if I have an esrolian ZZ human pc who meets trolls in Valind's glacier. They will first see him as a human. Maybe ask why there are zz marks, but at the end of the day that is a strange human who shares a part of the uz cutlure, so that is a stranger. Some uz will be happy to discuss of course but few will be able to give the same credit than if it were a uz stranger.

I will not play the same difficulty in some other fantasy backgrounds where races are just here and are all integrated in kingdoms (where opposition could be nations or alignment or what you want but race is not an issue)

And again it is my range of % loyalty I have to my own understanding of Glorantha, people can understand differently or have another %loyalty, I don't judge that

8 hours ago, Leingod said:

I wouldn't say they're considered "normal" Praxians, but I do get the impression that they're generally (if grudgingly) accepted as Praxians, and an independent tribe in their own right. Same with the Agimori and (maybe emphasis on grudgingly accepted) the Basmoli.

I said that I consider them, not that Praxians consider them 'normal'.

But Morokanth are not humans, and Agimori don't have a herd animal (Basmoli neither, but this is another story) and are considered normal Praxians. Baboons don't have the numbers and the military might of Agimori and Morokanth, so perhaps they are accepted grudgingly, but I think they are accepted by other tribes, if only because they live in Prax since beginning of time. Even Pol Joni are counted among tribes, even if they are not part of the covenant and they ride horses.

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

Baboons don't have the numbers and the military might of Agimori and Morokanth

While true, I thought I'd look at the differences:

INDEPENDENT_BABOON_TROOP.png.05cbebdc30b83547066041929f134041.pngINDEPENDENT_BASMOLI_BERSERKERS.png.5a17801cededeb8efeff1955555422b0.pngINDEPENDENT_MEN_AND_A_HALF.png.4b98089eb1afbe30b614ee0893fc023c.png

MOROKANTH_CLAN_435.png.4f735312c36ec99fe75fbe2d6e0c8a1a.pngMOROKANTH_CLAN_336.png.30480155f6b527e598260d2ee30792be.pngMOROKANTH_CLAN_255.png.b7aa66cc0d25c5c3a4492183d64c0ae9.pngMOROKANTH_HERD.png.0d37d47dfd4359212172813bad048c7f.pngMOROKANTH_KAHN.png.975f2f93e8b4a15d4c5a3b5f5b869da9.pngMOROKANTH_SHAMAN.png.ba2df85229c173194e8b813717abd503.pngMOROKANTH_FETCH.png.ccd97cd8813da095b1f046462242c827.pngMOROKANTH_FATHER.png.47bae49b549d676171d04e8cdfa5bad3.pngMOROKANTH_MOTHER.png.08401be44e1beed695bdc5ffa17ab066.pngMOROKANTH_ANCESTORS.png.bb72c11c74e2d10eb99d5124a5c55b64.png

They are one of the weaker Independents, but I'd have to fight it out to be sure with other independents. Against a tribe they have no defence.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 minutes ago, David Scott said:

While true, I thought I'd look at the differences:

INDEPENDENT_BABOON_TROOP.png.05cbebdc30b83547066041929f134041.pngINDEPENDENT_BASMOLI_BERSERKERS.png.5a17801cededeb8efeff1955555422b0.pngINDEPENDENT_MEN_AND_A_HALF.png.4b98089eb1afbe30b614ee0893fc023c.png

MOROKANTH_CLAN_435.png.4f735312c36ec99fe75fbe2d6e0c8a1a.pngMOROKANTH_CLAN_336.png.30480155f6b527e598260d2ee30792be.pngMOROKANTH_CLAN_255.png.b7aa66cc0d25c5c3a4492183d64c0ae9.pngMOROKANTH_HERD.png.0d37d47dfd4359212172813bad048c7f.pngMOROKANTH_KAHN.png.975f2f93e8b4a15d4c5a3b5f5b869da9.pngMOROKANTH_SHAMAN.png.ba2df85229c173194e8b813717abd503.pngMOROKANTH_FETCH.png.ccd97cd8813da095b1f046462242c827.pngMOROKANTH_FATHER.png.47bae49b549d676171d04e8cdfa5bad3.pngMOROKANTH_MOTHER.png.08401be44e1beed695bdc5ffa17ab066.pngMOROKANTH_ANCESTORS.png.bb72c11c74e2d10eb99d5124a5c55b64.png

They are one of the weaker Independents, but I'd have to fight it out to be sure with other independents. Against a tribe they have no defence.

Not owning 'Nomad Gods' and not having played since more than 20 years, I can't check. But I am (almost) sure their weakness is due to their low numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kloster said:

Not owning 'Nomad Gods' and not having played since more than 20 years, I can't check. But I am (almost) sure their weakness is due to their low numbers.

The Guide to Glorantha says there are about 10,000 of them; much smaller than any major tribe, but the same as the Pol-Joni, and definitely larger than several of the remaining independents, since those are numbered at 30,000 altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Leingod said:

The Guide to Glorantha says there are about 10,000 of them; much smaller than any major tribe, but the same as the Pol-Joni, and definitely larger than several of the remaining independents, since those are numbered at 30,000 altogether.

Thanks for the info (I don't have the guide). That means they lack power and numbers compared to the large tribes. Compared to the other independents, they are behind the Pol Joni (about the same size, but less magical power) and probably equal to the Agimori. For the others, I think there is a reason the Ostrich people were described as the Ostrich clan and not the Ostrich tribe (iirc) is Heroes mag.

14 hours ago, Kloster said:

For the others, I think there is a reason the Ostrich people were described as the Ostrich clan and not the Ostrich tribe (iirc) is Heroes mag.

Each of the tokens in the Nomad Gods game really represents a clan. The Ostrich Tribe, I think, has one token, as do many of the other Independents. The Impala Tribe have shedloads. 

I once used the Grazelanders as a tribe in Nomad Gods, representing the Pure Horse Folk, they are a pitifully small tribe in comparison with the 5 Great Nations. The Dragonewts can hold their own, though, they match the Great Nations.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, Joerg said:

This makes a baboon initiating to Daka Fal extremely hard. What's the work-around for that?

I would assume Grandfather Baboon (i.e. Daka Fal) would use Beast instead of Man for the rune? 

With regards to som other points in this thread, Gloranthan baboons are clearly significantly larger than Earth ones. 3d6 SIZ is almost human-sized, while Earth baboons max out at considerably smaller (40 kg for the largest kind, and smaller yet for others).

Edited by Akhôrahil

19 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I would assume Grandfather Baboon (i.e. Daka Fal) would use Beast instead of Man for the rune?

it's not in the rules, but if you don't do it, you have to buy down your 80% beast rune.

19 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

With regards to som other points in this thread, Gloranthan baboons are clearly significantly larger than Earth ones. 3d6 SIZ is almost human-sized, while Earth baboons max out at considerably smaller (40 kg for the largest kind, and smaller yet for others).

They are were previously called Giant Baboons, the bestiary says "these creatures much larger than their normal brethren"

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:
2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

it's not in the rules, but if you don't do it, you have to buy down your 80% beast rune.

It sort-of is in the rules, as the Glorantha Bestiary says the following under Baboons:

Occupations: Either Troop Baboon (see below) or Assistant Shaman. The latter use the Beast Rune instead of Man.

You could assume that what the assistant shaman does is the same as what all baboons do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, soltakss said:

In our campaign, he joined the Outcasts Militia and used that as a way in. Eventually he became Ambassador Mello, Golden Dragon, Dragon Emperor of Peloria, Companion of Genert, Companion of Tada, Companion of Pavis, Companion of Shan Agar, King of Dragon Pass, Constable of Pavis, Constable of Sun County and other titles that he has forgotten. But, that might not suit you.

Correction, Ambassador King Emperor Mello's full titles were:

Militiaman, River Voice, Initiate of Yelmalio, Citizen of Sun County, Citizen of Pavis, Constable of Pavis, Husband of Kinope, Ambassador to Monkey Ruins, Master of Harmony, Master of Water, Master of Light, Prophet of Pavis, Golden Sage of Heaven, Companion of Pavis, Companion of Tada, Companion of Genert, Companion of Arkat, King of Dragon Pass, Hero of Yelm, Dragon Friend, Golden Dragon and Dragon Emperor of Dara Happa.

Contrary to popular belief, Companion of Shan Argar and Arganaut are not titles that Ambassador King Emperor Mello accepts.

After all, it is important to get these things right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2021 at 11:00 AM, Akhôrahil said:

And as regards strength, apes and monkeys tend to be buff.

image.jpeg.92842fa4efe607f9842c843e2e1f778a.jpeg

Chimps are around 1/3rd stronger than humans at the same size; 4d6 STR (or 3d6+6 would be better).

Baboons are not apes, but monkeys, and would get destroyed on any strength contest against apes (including humans).

An average human woman can most likely overpower a big male baboon IRL (ignoring the baboons teeth).

Gloranthan baboons are supposed to be almost as big as a man, and "realistically" they should have less STR because pound for pound they are weaker.

Edited by icebrand

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

40 minutes ago, icebrand said:

Gloranthan baboons are supposed to be almost as big as a man, and "realistically" they should have less STR because pound for pound they are weaker.

the issue with glorantha is, iron is not irl iron, baboons are not irl baboons, gravity is not irl gravity, etc..

we have no proof of any griffin in our world 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, soltakss said:

Correction, Ambassador King Emperor Mello's full titles were:

Militiaman, River Voice, Initiate of Yelmalio, Citizen of Sun County, Citizen of Pavis, Constable of Pavis, Husband of Kinope, Ambassador to Monkey Ruins, Master of Harmony, Master of Water, Master of Light, Prophet of Pavis, Golden Sage of Heaven, Companion of Pavis, Companion of Tada, Companion of Genert, Companion of Arkat, King of Dragon Pass, Hero of Yelm, Dragon Friend, Golden Dragon and Dragon Emperor of Dara Happa.

Contrary to popular belief, Companion of Shan Argar and Arganaut are not titles that Ambassador King Emperor Mello accepts.

After all, it is important to get these things right.

It is indeed very important!  I look forward to a day when I can finally meet the great Mello Yello.

By way of further clarification, what would be the correct form of address?  "Your Heroic Imperial Majesty"?  "Your Golden Draconic Splendour"?  A simple "Your Omnipotence"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, icebrand said:

Baboons are not apes, but monkeys, and would get destroyed on any strength contest against apes (including humans).

Even the small ones can be nasty.  A while ago somebody broke into a zoo to steal a squirrel monkey as a pet.  The rest of the pack (twelve or so) drove him off with bites and scratches during which he sustained a broken leg.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

Even the small ones can be nasty.  A while ago somebody broke into a zoo to steal a squirrel monkey as a pet.  The rest of the pack (twelve or so) drove him off with bites and scratches during which he sustained a broken leg.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, a baboon will totally murder you (or severely injure/maim) but that's with their teeth, they aren't stronger than humans.

The point is they aren't even stronger than humans their size. A giant baboon with 3d6 siz would have 2d6+2 or something str

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"