Have anyone ran a game for their family?

dmariz18

6 hours ago, dmariz18 said:

Have anyone ran a game for their family? I was listening to The Adventure Zone and that is like the goal. I feel like that would be a great way to get closer to my family and share something I love with them. Thoughts?

With my wife (Runequest, Star Wars and Champions) and my eldest son (Runequest), yes, but not together. For them, no.

Edited by Kloster
typing mistake
  • Like 1

I started running My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria for my daughters when covid began. My 8yr old is probably ready for anything, but the other one is 6 and not quite there. Though I did acquire the PDFs for a game loosely based on Redwall that I’m going to throw at them.

Just pre-covid we started playing 5e with another family. Bog-standard Forgotten Realms.  My 8 yr old (then7) came up with a character and backstory instantly about her half-elf sorceress who fronts like she’s a bard.
 I have an older son who became a regular with my old crew playing D20 Star Wars. My wife would play CoC with me and the current group I play with, but since that’s a social thing she doesn’t have to organize she’s happy to leave me to it. 

I got my son started with the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks (way back when he could start counting the spots on 2D6) then gradually got a bit more complex. I have run BRP Star Wars (using files from this site), BRP Cyberpunk (using my own mash-up) and Magic World games for my wife and son.

I think RPGs are a great way of spending quality family time.

Colin

• Thanks 1

My family is my primary gaming group.  Everyone takes turns GM their particular campaigns.  We have played a lot of systems, but BRP is the one that my wife and I prefer.  Our kids prefer "newer" systems, but BRP is definitely the system most used.

Having the GM and campaign rotate is a great way to keep momentum going as well as giving people a break.  Two or three sessions of one game, then switching really keeps the interest up in each campaign.

-STS

• Like 1

I began mastering The Dark Eye for my 8 years-old son during the first containment here in France. We didn't stop...

Now I'd like to run someting else for him, but with another player (his sister is only 3 years old). I'm tryng to pressure my wife, but her previous experiences (Conan RPG, C.O.P.S.) didn't convince her...