Mongoose RuneQuest II on the way

Trifletraxor

My Google-fu tells me he is referring to Fantasy Flight Games and WFRP3.

Vaults of Nagoh: FFG Revive HeroQuest! ... Sort of

Though I disagree with him. MRQ had merits and flaws. The flaws needed fixing. I for one am hoping MRQ2 succeeds.

Maybe Loz and Pete will succumb to torture and we can get some early details? Pete sounds like he's a bit remote for me to go after but Loz recently moved to my side of the pond >:-> (ever get your stuff by the way?).

Help kill a Trollkin here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flash Flood Guidance bandwagon?

The FBL Financial Group bandwagon?

The Form and Finish Grinding bandwagon?

The Federal Facilities program bandwagon?

The Fine-Fine Grain bandwagon?

The Fiscal Forecasts and Guidance bandwagon?

The Fission Fragment Generator bandwagon?

The Fixed Frequency Generator bandwagon?

The Fantasy Flight Games bandwagon?

The Flora and Fauna Guarantee bandwagon?

The Freight Facilities Grant bandwagon?

or,

The Free fall groundburst bandwagon?

:confused:

Those pesky accronyms! :(

I meant the bolded one, although the last one has some appeal, too.

I was just thinking about the new 'edition' of WFRP and how different it is from previous editions.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Maybe Loz and Pete will succumb to torture and we can get some early details?

We both have very high Resilience and Persistence, so you won't get anymore out of either of us this side of December.

Pete sounds like he's a bit remote for me to go after but Loz recently moved to my side of the pond (ever get your stuff by the way?).

Yes - eventually! Thanks for asking. :)

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

We both have very high Resilience and Persistence, so you won't get anymore out of either of us this side of December.

Ahh - but with opposed rolls a high Resilience or Persistence is no gaurantee of success. It does use opposed rolls doesn't it?

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Maybe Loz and Pete will succumb to torture and we can get some early details? Pete sounds like he's a bit remote for me to go after but Loz recently moved to my side of the pond >:-> (ever get your stuff by the way?).

We'll you've got less than a month before the serious snow sets in, and you end up re-enacting the closing scene from The Shining.... Except I'll be a guy with all the big swords and cross country skiis, and you'll be wading through the snowy forests on foot! >:->

Then again, if you know how to drive a tank you could always hijack one from the nearby military base and hunt me down in that. I may just fail my opposed Persistence roll if faced with a Leopard 2 MBT.

Other than that, I'd recommend patience myself. Unfortunately I have an ancient ancestral baboon spirit bound to my keyboard ready to inflict painful lessons if I open my mouth before December...

Norwegians almost never drink. I have no idea where you've got that idea from.

Wait a minute, I could have sworn you mentioned something in your Tentacles reports... :)

I think I have an idea, instead. Pete, time to show to the public that picture of Norwegian #2 sleeping with your watch beside him.

Vindicated! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Vile Traveller

I was a pretty big collector of the inital MRQ books. When they changed over to the new printer I stopped buying due the production issues. Hopefully they either have the harcover issues under wraps for the new relase, or they print MRQII as a softcover instead.
I was under the impression that all the new MRQ2 books would be leatherbound hardcover. Ah, yes - from The State of the Mongoose:

Core Books

We felt we had to do something special to mark the return of RuneQuest, and so talk began of some sort of leather-bound limited edition. Then someone came up with the thought ‘why not make every core RuneQuest book leather-bound?’

It was a good idea, but we wanted to keep printing in the US and, at the same time, deliver value for money to RuneQuest fans. There was no point in having pretty leather-bound books if no one could afford them! A few calls were made to our printers, a few deals arranged and… we are proud to present the new core RuneQuest range in its leather-bound entirety, at no extra cost to you! These books will look glorious on any roleplayer’s shelf as collector items, and gamers will enjoy the new rules set that delivers the fast and exciting play RuneQuest must have.

As for the quality of printing:

Printing

We also made a promise this year that we would only be printing books in the US. Mongoose is part American, with offices and our main warehouse situated in Ohio and in these times of economic woe, we wanted to do ‘our bit’ to keep our own nations going, rather than feeding the Tiger Economies.

Restricting our printing to the US is a brave thing to do (though less suicidal on a financial level than printing in the UK…), but it has worked out very well for us thus far. It means we very quickly become one of the largest clients for these printing firms, so our custom actually means something – which is always nice during negotiations.

Edited by Vile

Hardcover, Leatherbound, made in the U.SA.? I'm tempted to call shenanigans. ;)

If they have indeed fixed their binding issue this time around, and have done a bit of cleaning rules wise, I'll likely come around. Overall as a long time player/gm of the runequest / brp system I liked most of the changes they made. Mostly it was that messy bit with combat, opposed skills and the binding issues that turned me off.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a chunk of these posts got lost. The book is gorgeous. Still going through the content, but the cover is amazing, the pages are thick and sturdy. The book screams delux.

Y'know, even I am tempted. But rules content will swing it. Pray tell, what are the new Combat Manouevres like? And exactly how "opposed" are the attack/parry rolls?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Y'know, even I am tempted. But rules content will swing it. Pray tell, what are the new Combat Manouevres like? And exactly how "opposed" are the attack/parry rolls?

From p86. "Attack and Parry rolls are subject to "Opposed Skills Over 100% rule on p35, despite not strictly being an opposed test."

What this actually means.

Attack and parries work like BRP: make a roll and note degree of success (critical, normal, failure, fumble). If your result was a success and a better degree of success than your opponent then you get a number of CMs based on the difference between you. E.g. Rurik rolls a failed parry versus a trollkin's critical attack. The trollkin will get 2 Combat Manoeuvres in addition to the normal results of an attack.

If one or both of you have a skill over 100%, then the excess over 100 from the highest skill gets subtracted from all participants. E.g. Rurik is 125% in Spear & shield while Burly Bob is 110% in Hammer. This becomes Rurik 100% and Burly Bob is reduced to 85%.

For those who remember such things, this reduction is roughly how combat rolls worked in RQ2. (the higher skill didn't get reduced in RQ2.)

Evade (limited form of dodge) is a pure opposed test.

Combat Manoeuvres work like a mix of crit/spec results and tactics. Some combat manoeuvres can only be chosen if you have a critical result (e.g. bypass armour), some depend on weapon (impale, bleed, sunder) and some are general tactics that can be used both offensive & defensively (disarm), just offensively (choose location) or just defensively (riposte). So the trollkin above with his two combat manoeuvres clearly decides to choose bypass armour and impale then rolls d20 to determine a location.

Something very, very important. Not defending is functionally the same as failing to succeed at a defense roll which means that any successful attack will generate at least one CM by default. This is also true for ranged attacks.

Very simple. It is as it has been explained here: to overcome your opponent, you need to achieve one level of success more than him (success vs. failure, critical vs. success, etc.). If level of success is equal, then damage is blocked if the weapons are of the same size, or passes through (partially or totally) if the attacker's weapon is larger. With the exception of the latter case, if you hit you also get a manoeuver (two if you critical), which means that when you hit you often disable your opponent.

But the real fun part is that you get a manoeuver also when your parry is one level of success better than the attack. If you attack a swordsmaster and miss, you are in trouble...

Now, when will the $% book arrive at a shop I can reach?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

But the real fun part is that you get a manoeuver also when your parry is one level of success better than the attack. If you attack a swordsmaster and miss, you are in trouble...

Presently disarm is probably my favourite use of a parry CM though damage weapon is pretty useful when you're using a 2H weapon to parry: good fun lopping off spear-heads with a greatsword.

Pin weapon, a critical defense manoeuvre, is the perfect choice for dual wielders against single wielders.

Attack and parries work like BRP... If your result was a success and a better degree of success than your opponent then you get a number of CMs based on the difference... If one or both of you have a skill over 100%, then the excess over 100 from the highest skill gets subtracted from all participants.

Thanks for all that detail! Mmmm, interesting, but I'm still not sold. That's still Opposed Rolls, whatever they assert. (Part of current BRP that I dislike).

The manoeuvres may well be fun, but introducing decisions about them into the combat sequence will slow down play, I expect, and also spoil the immediacy (all-important to me) of knowing what effect you have had.

Very simple. ... But the real fun part is that you get a manoeuver also when your parry is one level of success better than the attack.

Not simple enough for me, I'm afraid. And introducing manoeuvres for parrying as well compounds the problem already mentioned.

But if the book really does look as nice as all that, I might just get it anyway.

PS: It hasn't got a Physical Rune on the cover, has it?

Edited by frogspawner
PS

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The trollkin will get 2 Combat Manoeuvres in addition to the normal results of an attack.

Are these similar to what has been done in SPQR, by using levels of success for varied effects, the higher the degree of success, the more potent the result (or combination of success for many successes)?