Limit on magic object.

Tyrian Telbenj

On 1/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tyrian Telbenj said:

Is there an official limit for the magic object that a Pc can use? I'm limiting my players to 1 magic object x 3 point of power (full armor count 1 point).

As a matter of interest, why are you limiting magic items?

In our RQ2 game, I had a stack of index cards an inch thick for Soltak Stormspear's magic items. Derak the Dark Troll had a leather jacket with "Derak" picked out in small POW Storage Crystals. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Yeah, according to a literal reading of the rules, someone with a 10% parry skill will reduce the 1000% down to 100%. What it does give you is the ability to split to three (or four if you're really fast) 100%+ attacks.

or perform 45 parry and still be at 100%.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:39 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Yeah, according to a literal reading of the rules, someone with a 10% parry skill will reduce the 1000% down to 100%. What it does give you is the ability to split to three (or four if you're really fast) 100%+ attacks.

I'm not completely sure if there has there been an official clarification about this. Another reading would say that the higher skill drops to 100% before it gets divided.

4 minutes ago, Brootse said:

I'm not completely sure if there has there been an official clarification about this. Another reading would say that the higher skill drops to 100% before it gets divided.

That can't make sense. You declare split attacks before you know if you are being parried. What would happen if the first attack is not parried but the second is? It's then too late to reduce the un-split skill to 100 because you've already rolled on the first split.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, soltakss said:

In our RQ2 game, I had a stack of index cards an inch thick for Soltak Stormspear's magic items. Derak the Dark Troll had a leather jacket with "Derak" picked out in small POW Storage Crystals. 

Maybe because of things like this? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

That can't make sense. You declare split attacks before you know if you are being parried. What would happen if the first attack is not parried but the second is? It's then too late to reduce the un-split skill to 100 because you've already rolled on the first split.

I checked the rules, and the divide happens before the skill is lowered.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:
On 1/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, soltakss said:

Maybe because of things like this? 😉

Yes, I suppose you are right.

The obvious answer is to have multiple items on a single index card.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

26 minutes ago, Tyrian Telbenj said:

I don't like the idea that players have too many containers of few magic points that can be added together or that they have all forms of spirit magic in matrices. In my opinion it is better that they have to choose what to take with them and we don't always have everything at hand.

In RQG the spirit magic spells have such short duration, and they can't be cast silently before an ambush, so I've found out that they aren't as powerful as they used to be in RQ3.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, Brootse said:

In my campaign a Sword of Humakt who was in massive Sword Trance, and also had a Shield that had been pumped so full of MPs is almost impossible to remove, got a critical arrow in the chest from some lousy bandits, and would have died if his sword hadn't rolled a 1 for Divine Intervention.

On to a slightly different topic, but when did the Sword do this?  Our group is having a discussion about when it is "too late" for a Humakti to call for D.I. to not die. 

1. Some argue, and I think reasonably, that after you roll damage, then location, the Humakti is dead.  They may still call for D.I., but not to live. 
  2. Others argue, also reasonably, that this is pretty harsh on the Humakti.

How have your groups been laying this?

5 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

On to a slightly different topic, but when did the Sword do this?  Our group is having a discussion about when it is "too late" for a Humakti to call for D.I. to not die. 

1. Some argue, and I think reasonably, that after you roll damage, then location, the Humakti is dead.  They may still call for D.I., but not to live. 
  2. Others argue, also reasonably, that this is pretty harsh on the Humakti.

How have your groups been laying this?

I think it’s fair to be quite loose with DI.

Would allow.

• Like 1