Scenarios Set in Mexico?

Jakob

I'll be moving to Mexico City in a few months (the general state of the world allowing ...), and I think a nice way to prepare for that might be to read some well-researched CoC scenarios set in Mexico, preferably in the 1920s (since those have certainly been Interesting Times there).

Does anyone know good Cthulhu scenarios that fit the bill? They needn't be for CoC, Trail of Cthulhu or any other system works just as well. Googling didn't really bring anything up except for Pagan Publishing's Mesoamerican adventures ...

Thanks everyone!

"Mysteria Matris Oblitae" sounds very interesting, now I only have to get my hands on it ("Mortal Coils" doesn't seem to be available anywhere, not even as pdf ...)

@andylDo you know more about "A Time for Sacrifice"? I'm less interested in adventures that are about ancient ruins and more in those that make use of the political and social history of Mexico (not that one would exclude the other).

I'm glad folks posted. I totally forgot about Mortal Coils (which is excellent and with outstanding art) and A Time for Sacrifice which I still need to read (just too much to read.) Anyway, for Mexico completeness sake, there's a scenario in Mexico called 'El Dia de Los Muertos' which takes place in the Sea of Cortez on a small island. It's a Delta Green scenario, so modern yet easily converted to 1920s, but when DG was using the CoC rules. It's in issue 52 of Shadis (i dont know how i have this copy)... well written and in true DG style. Although, nothing really on Mexican history or political/social.

12 hours ago, Jakob said:

@andylDo you know more about "A Time for Sacrifice"? I'm less interested in adventures that are about ancient ruins and more in those that make use of the political and social history of Mexico (not that one would exclude the other).

Yep heavily themed around the Mayan civilisation so ruins are the setting for a lot of it.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:05 AM, 1d8+DB said:

I seem to recall an episode in the ToC  campaign 'Eternal Lies' that takes place in Mexico City.

Along with a sequel part with an expedition into a Mayan ruin.

There's an old scenario called The Secret of Castronegro, but I don't remember a lot about it.  And getting hold of it might be hard.

43 minutes ago, SunlessNick said:

There's an old scenario called The Secret of Castronegro, but I don't remember a lot about it.  And getting hold of it might be hard.

It's in the old Cthulhu Companion book from 2nd ed. days. (There's also an article in that about the Cthulhu Mythos in Mesoamerican Religion.)  The Castronegro scenario is actually set in New Mexico, but could probably be shifted readily.

The Terror from the Stars book is set in British Honduras set around ancient Mayan ruins.  Again an old work, but could be shifted into the Yucatan.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, jajagappa said:

It's in the old Cthulhu Companion book from 2nd ed. days. (There's also an article in that about the Cthulhu Mythos in Mesoamerican Religion.)  The Castronegro scenario is actually set in New Mexico, but could probably be shifted readily.

The Terror from the Stars book is set in British Honduras set around ancient Mayan ruins.  Again an old work, but could be shifted into the Yucatan.

Thanks for the tips; but actually I'm looking formost for stuff to read on Mexican history (I know that Cthulhu scenarios are no history books, but it is always fun to read them side-to-side with history books), not really something to play a campaign in Mexico, so shifting a scenario there wouldn't really help ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakob said:

Thanks for the tips; but actually I'm looking formost for stuff to read on Mexican history (I know that Cthulhu scenarios are no history books, but it is always fun to read them side-to-side with history books), not really something to play a campaign in Mexico, so shifting a scenario there wouldn't really help ...

The Mysteries of Mesoamerica book from Pagan actually has like 80 pages on background information. I think that would definitely be the place to go for what you're looking.  I recall there being some copies left in the Arkham Bazaar, and of Mortal Coils as well. 

Edited by AlonsoAguilurk
More information.
  • Thanks 1