Jump to content

Effects of tapping chaos?


Frp

Recommended Posts

I'd like to hear people's ideas about using tap spells on chaotic things. Does the sorcerer become tainted if they steal air or tap the body of a chaos thing? 

Mostly I'm interested in what happens if a tainted sorcerer, that's mastered the chaos rune, taps chaos directly? Can they just consume a gorp, broo or whatever? Can they tap chaos sites? 

I'm pondering a potential NPC that characters might make a devils bargain with. How bad can he be, he eats chaos...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frp said:

I'd like to hear people's ideas about using tap spells on chaotic things. Does the sorcerer become tainted if they steal air or tap the body of a chaos thing? 

Mostly I'm interested in what happens if a tainted sorcerer, that's mastered the chaos rune, taps chaos directly? Can they just consume a gorp, broo or whatever? Can they tap chaos sites? 

I'm pondering a potential NPC that characters might make a devils bargain with. How bad can he be, he eats chaos...

Rules effect wise nothing happens.

In-glorantha this is what is known as the Borist heresy.  People believe they become chaotic by tapping chaos (even if it's not true).

I did put a spin on this some time ago by having the Boristi tap chaos within ordinary people so as to make them pure and worthy of Solace.  Their wizards use that tapped chaos to form chaotic monsters (gorp, dragonsnails, giant flying hands) obedient to their will.  But a Storm Bull's sense chaos does not work against the Boristi because they are not themselves chaotic  So they are devilishly hard to suppress.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

Rules effect wise nothing happens.

In-glorantha this is what is known as the Borist heresy.  People believe they become chaotic by tapping chaos (even if it's not true).

I did put a spin on this some time ago by having the Boristi tap chaos within ordinary people so as to make them pure and worthy of Solace.  Their wizards use that tapped chaos to form chaotic monsters (gorp, dragonsnails, giant flying hands) obedient to their will.  But a Storm Bull's sense chaos does not work against the Boristi because they are not themselves chaotic  So they are devilishly hard to suppress.

You beat me on this. This is exactly what I think of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, metcalph said:

Rules effect wise nothing happens.

In-glorantha this is what is known as the Borist heresy.  People believe they become chaotic by tapping chaos (even if it's not true).

I did put a spin on this some time ago by having the Boristi tap chaos within ordinary people so as to make them pure and worthy of Solace.  Their wizards use that tapped chaos to form chaotic monsters (gorp, dragonsnails, giant flying hands) obedient to their will.  But a Storm Bull's sense chaos does not work against the Boristi because they are not themselves chaotic  So they are devilishly hard to suppress.

Until they start sprouting Chaos Features

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Until they start sprouting Chaos Features

Ruleswise, nothing ever permits to think it can occur.

Glorantha wise, of course it can occur. This is a fantasy world, but I don't remember having read anything in something RQ that lead to this conclusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Ruleswise, nothing ever permits to think it can occur.

Glorantha wise, of course it can occur. This is a fantasy world, but I don't remember having read anything in something RQ that lead to this conclusion.

Not in the rules, but I remember seeing this in various discussions on Boristi, as well as them running around "cleansing" people of all chaotics taints and then killing them with clean soul.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Not in the rules, but I remember seeing this in various discussions on Boristi, as well as them running around "cleansing" people of all chaotics taints and then killing them with clean soul.

I don't remember reading they killed the 'cleaned ones', but it does not matter on the subject, I also remember (vaguely) some stuff on that. Even if chaos destructors, they are clearly not very sympathetic guys, even without the chaos taints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's an odd statement. I'm not sure what you mean by it.

What I meant is simply that nothing in the rules we currently have is giving any indication that tapping chaos is giving chaos features. I am not saying it can not do it, nor that it should not do it, only that nothing in the rules, current or past, indicate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kloster said:

What I meant is simply that nothing in the rules we currently have is giving any indication that tapping chaos is giving chaos features. I am not saying it can not do it, nor that it should not do it, only that nothing in the rules, current or past, indicate it.

I can see how someone just reading the rules fresh might not conclude that, but anyone who knows about Chaos in Glorantha would probably recoil in horror at the idea of tapping chaos, in a "yeah, that's not going to end well" sort of way. And to be fair, the description of the rune says "nothing is totally safe from its influence", so we have been warned.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I can see how someone just reading the rules fresh might not conclude that, but anyone who knows about Chaos in Glorantha would probably recoil in horror at the idea of tapping chaos, in a "yeah, that's not going to end well" sort of way. And to be fair, the description of the rune says "nothing is totally safe from its influence", so we have been warned.

On this, we agree. This is a world point of view, not a rule one, but you are totally right. This is why my first line began by 'Ruleswise, ', and my second line began by 'Glorantha wise'.

Edited by Kloster
Add lasts words
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And on a chaotic entity? There is an exemple in the Guide that says that tapping Stasis out of a rock turns it into dust, and tapping people results in making them servile apparently? So tapping a bro results in? It becomes a regular goat? A pre-greater darkness broo? It's just destroyed? A chaotic swamp lays next to Akem, that would be a good place to start digging. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

And on a chaotic entity? There is an exemple in the Guide that says that tapping Stasis out of a rock turns it into dust, and tapping people results in making them servile apparently? So tapping a bro results in? It becomes a regular goat? A pre-greater darkness broo? It's just destroyed? A chaotic swamp lays next to Akem, that would be a good place to start digging. 

Well, Broo are a race the same as Trolls and Humans. You can not tap the Broo out of them. You can tap Chaos out of them, if you had that type of a spell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jape_Vicho said:

A chaotic swamp lays next to Akem, that would be a good place to start diggin

Dilis. That's exactly where he'd be. 

If you master the chaos rune you get a chaos taint: page 383 of Roleplaying in Glorantha. So if you can directly tap chaos you're already tainted. I want the chaos things he taps to die in some icky fashion too. He's an NPC so I can hand wave the actual mechanism of what he's doing when melts or turns a broo to dust. 

 My guy would be a Borist too. I guess I have a darker view of them, YGMV.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Frp said:

I'd like to hear people's ideas about using tap spells on chaotic things. Does the sorcerer become tainted if they steal air or tap the body of a chaos thing? 

Mostly I'm interested in what happens if a tainted sorcerer, that's mastered the chaos rune, taps chaos directly? Can they just consume a gorp, broo or whatever? Can they tap chaos sites? 

I'm pondering a potential NPC that characters might make a devils bargain with. How bad can he be, he eats chaos...

An easy solution would be that they start to acquire the Chaos rune, and as they go on, Chaos features. This seems to be what happens to the Boristi "Chaos Monks", who specifically tap (only) Chaos. Under the actually really reasonable interpretation that Malkion's dictum "Do Not Ruin That Which You Love" doesn't extend to Chaos, as you shouldn't love Chaos.

This isn't covered by the rules, however.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

An easy solution would be that they start to acquire the Chaos rune, and as they go on, Chaos features. This seems to be what happens to the Boristi "Chaos Monks", who specifically tap (only) Chaos. Under the actually really reasonable interpretation that Malkion's dictum "Do Not Ruin That Which You Love" doesn't extend to Chaos, as you shouldn't love Chaos.

This isn't covered by the rules, however.

Having to become, at least a little, chaotic to do it is the rub. It'll keep the players guessing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...