Lore of Glorantha for newcomers

RexHiemis

On 1/9/2021 at 1:46 PM, RexHiemis said:

Hi everyone I've just signed up and this is my first post. I hope I'm not creating this topic in the wrong place.

We are a new player group for RQ. We are using the latest edition. We played DnD, Pathfinder, but we are new to RQ and Glorantha. There is no problem with the system. However, we are having some difficulties regarding the nations of Glorantha. Generally when I depict them to my players I tell them about the real world influences and similarities.

Comparing to the real world is useful, but you've seen that there is not a lot of direct 1-to-1 relationships. The game King of Dragon Pass might be helpful. You can see the proto-Sartarites in action, and get a bit of exposure to the other peoples. Often by being slaughtered by them (stupid beastmen). It is a fun kingdom builder that can help with lore and myths.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Jape_Vicho said:

On the visual side, look up for and show them images of the orlanthi of Six Ages: Ride like the Wind. They are not Sartarites but Vingkotlings, an ancient orlanthi tribe from before Time, but they are very useful to imagine the southern Orlanthi. The dominance of blue, long coats almost poncho-like, the absence of pants, the particular beards and moustaches... those are all traits the Sartarite can be seen with too. The dark skin is also present. Looking for "Six ages Rams" (Ram People was how the orlanthi were know in other places for a lot of time, because of their preference to herd sheep over other animals like cow, goat or pig) in google images provides sufficient images.

The Grazelanders are very similar to the Riders in that game too: light skin and hair, scythian-like clothing, horses...

I also recommend looking up @KleiosCanvas on twitter, she does magnificent gloranthan art that helps visualize how the world looks.

Currently I'm trying to play King of Dragon Pass. I say "trying" because of the compatibility issues in Steam. About @KleiosCanvas I didn't know that the artworks I've already enjoyed when I first got interested in RQ belong to her. Besides I've just learned she is from Turkey too. 😄

• Like 1