Running Vinga's Ford Tonight: Advice?

smiorgan

Hmmm.  Hopefully, all advice needed should be in the book, but I'd go with having pre-prepped any sorcery spells if you have a high-powered party and need your vampire to be over the top powerful, and to use Deveval for emotional impact. He should have plot armour until he's done his job, which is to tell people the problem.  (It MIGHT also be to give them True Sword if that's the only way someone can harm a vampire in mist form, which I decided was possible with that spell.)  However, he's obviously a kid who is doing what is right because it's honourable, and he's determined to be a good Humakti.  He carries the emotional line until you find Alaryn, and he's polite, respectful, and utterly out of his depth when it comes to fighting what is there.

When you find Alaryn, the ghost fight becomes the main point of plot, but it isn't for a while before that.  So then use any emotional loading to make that be important; if they like Deveval, then he wants to do the right thing for the ghosts as well.  If they hate the vampire or the thoughts of vampires, then you can remind them that the vampire means to hurt what is here, somehow.  If you have any Orlanthi or Trolls (or Darkness worshippers), then make sure they know what the stakes are - they could save one of their people from a prison of eternity, if they interfere.

The idea is that this provides a relatively simple plot, with emotional impact because sometimes a warrior is just a child out of his depth, sometimes the vampire is smart, and sometimes you've been imprisoned here for hundreds of years in the same long night.  Don't be afraid to throw out mechanics in favour of that impact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:01 AM, Diana Probst said:

The idea is that this provides a relatively simple plot, with emotional impact because sometimes a warrior is just a child out of his depth, sometimes the vampire is smart, and sometimes you've been imprisoned here for hundreds of years in the same long night.  Don't be afraid to throw out mechanics in favour of that impact.

Thanks Diana! That's helpful. And yes, the scenario does contain a lot of advice.

The party will comprise 4 newly generated characters. They include:

A Humakti Duck (I think this PC must know Deveval or even be a relative...)

A Lankhor Mhy Sage from Sartar (so I guess he will be interested in investigating the nature and history of the ghostly phenomenon)

An Esrolian of still undecided gender and profession - possibly a merchantess or Earth priestess

A fourth character yet to decide...  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, smiorgan said:

Thanks Diana! That's helpful. And yes, the scenario does contain a lot of advice.

The party will comprise 4 newly generated characters. They include:

A Humakti Duck (I think this PC must know Deveval or even be a relative...)

A Lankhor Mhy Sage from Sartar (so I guess he will be interested in investigating the nature and history of the ghostly phenomenon)

An Esrolian of still undecided gender and profession - possibly a merchantess or Earth priestess

A fourth character yet to decide...  

So, the Esrolian is going to be a male noble, a discreet guy used to play the role of trusted back-up of the matriarchs (this is how the player describes him)

I still have to talk to the fourth guy...

(As you can see I'm not really in a hurry, given that I have several games going on in parallel righ now... 🤪)