Morokanth clan names

Diana Probst

I already have a hard time to provide canonical names for individual Morokanth other than Egaya Chewer-of-Flesh.

Astonishingly little is published about the Beast Riders in general, and little of that covers our tapir-like man-eaters. The encounters in Borderlands are about as much as you get, apart from a few NPCs.

What little there has been as canonical information like the one named Bison clan - the Flower Bison - got the origin of their name needlessly redefined in the RQG rules. Why? Any other clan name could have been made up and described without contradicting Biturian's story from Cults of Prax. For instance the Blue Llama clan, with its notable individuals Orgwaha (deceased in Boldhome) and Yazurkial.

Basically, the trend appears to be tribal beast name plus adjective, except that the Morokanth probably would not be using "herd man" as clan descriptor. As Darkness-leaning tribe, things like "Hungry Morokanth" might be possible. If you want to confuse people, the "sable Morokanth" might use black marten pelts as their clan insignia.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

12 hours ago, Joerg said:

Basically, the trend appears to be tribal beast name plus adjective, except that the Morokanth probably would not be using "herd man" as clan descriptor.

Bah, humbug. Describe them by the speciality herdperson types they raise: the "Musclebound Lunks Clan," "Flower Bimbo Clan," etc. What's sauce for the gander...

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

Any others?

Morokanth have Praxian clan names in the same vein as any other Praxian clan, with occasional morokanth specific variations.

Morokanth clans names I have used from my morokanth prax game (there are about 150 Morokanth clans in Prax and the Wastes):

Spirit Rock clan (Egajia's clan), Spitsharp clan, First clan, Karim's clan, River deep clan, Shadow of the Goddess clan, One-thumb clan, Dark-as-day clan (aka the Blondes), Waha's Hand clan, Lion hunters clan, The Lost Chariot clan, Ronance clan.

Just as in Sartar, clans often have a formal names and an informal name.  A lot of the Dark-as-day clan herd have rare blonde hair, hence the Blondes. The Spirit Rock clan are also called "the Bosses".

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, Leingod said:

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure gives the name of this clan as the "Green Stripe Morokanth" on page 124.

Sweeeeet.  That's probably the one to use.  I may also grab from David Scott's idea there to have nicknames.  It's a smallish encounter, but I realised I didn't have an associated name, so that goes in now.  The Bilos Gap clan is another way of referring to them.

Edited by Diana Probst
Tweaking wordage.

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Bah, humbug. Describe them by the speciality herdperson types they raise: the "Musclebound Lunks Clan," "Flower Bimbo Clan," etc. What's sauce for the gander...

I was thinking the same. "Blue Bloke Clan", and so on.

(I know I read somewhere, likely not canonical, that the chaos-killing god is 'The Storm Bloke'. The notion that by any reasonable standard he must have a tapir body with a herd-man head in order to show off his bestial nature is disturbing in the way Glorantha does so well.)

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

(I know I read somewhere, likely not canonical, that the chaos-killing god is 'The Storm Bloke'. The notion that by any reasonable standard he must have a tapir body with a herd-man head in order to show off his bestial nature is disturbing in the way Glorantha does so well.)

One of mine, I believe. 😜

The Devil’s Soup Bowl - see footnote.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...