The Curious Case Of Erotocomatose Lucidity

scott-martin

1 minute ago, davecake said:

You perhaps, then, simply don’t know the occult community as well as you believe. 
like many sub-cultures, the most visible and stereotypical members you’ll find on the internet won’t teach you much about the core. 

Are you suggesting you know Satanists better than I do?  Because that is the crux of your point...

11 hours ago, Darius West said:

Are you suggesting you know Satanists better than I do?  Because that is the crux of your point...

Dave specifically used the term 'the occult community', which is not the same as 'Satanists'.   It seems to me that the crux of his point is that the occult community are neither monolithic nor idiots, but understand the flexibility of the symbols and language that they use.

Satanists are a relatively small section of the 'occult community' - frequently vanishingly small.   I remember an interesting cult worshipping Freddy Mercury as the 'Son of Satan', but they were never more than a handful! 

12 hours ago, Darius West said:

Are you suggesting you know Satanists better than I do?

No, I think he is just saying that you are more smug than he is.

12 hours ago, davecake said:

But to be honest, I don’t really have much interest in you telling me smugly why you think are cleverer than other people, and think it of limited interest or relevance.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

22 hours ago, davecake said:

You perhaps, then, simply don’t know the occult community as well as you believe. 
like many sub-cultures, the most visible and stereotypical members you’ll find on the internet won’t teach you much about the core. 
But to be honest, I don’t really have much interest in you telling me smugly why you think are cleverer than other people, and think it of limited interest or relevance. 

So to reiterate, you are suggesting that you know more about Satanism than I do?  As far as I am concerned that is a bit like saying that you know more about Qanon than I do.

10 hours ago, soltakss said:

No, I think he is just saying that you are more smug than he is.

What is funnier still is that Dave outed himself as a Satanist.  Not that I give a damn what people choose to believe, it's all part of the rich tapestry of humanity imo.  I actually quite enjoy how the Satanists have been trolling the religious right in the USA.

Edited by Darius West
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Dave specifically used the term 'the occult community', which is not the same as 'Satanists'.   It seems to me that the crux of his point is that the occult community are neither monolithic nor idiots, but understand the flexibility of the symbols and language that they use.

And furthermore, anyone who would simply lump together Satanists and Thelemites without distinction, really does not know that sector of the occult community well at all. 

Though anyone that would even lump Satanists all in together as a monolithic group doesn't know too much either. The Church of Satan, and the Satanic Temple, and the Temple of Set, for example, are all quite different. 

I do know a few Satanists and former Satanists, and know a fair bit about it, but it has almost no relevance to discussion. If anyone is madly curious about dire secrets like the Temple of Set's favourite old Doctor Who episodes, feel to ask me privately. 

But in general the rampant use of Templar and Assassin related symbolism, including Baphomet, is rife in the occult community of the period, from the 18th Century through to the early 20th, especially in Freemasonic groups of all kinds - and symbolism that far outgrows its origins in cultural significance is common outside the occult anyway. Arguing that its wrong is like arguing that the modern use of a common word is wrong because of its etymology a millennia before. 

To inject at least a little Gloranthan relevance, the closest Gloranthan equivalent to actual Satanists would appear to be the Transgressor heresies in the Middle Sea Empire - though the Vadeli also seem to have some things in common with forms of Satanism. 

6 hours ago, Darius West said:

What is funnier still is that Dave outed himself as a Satanist. 

Nope, I'm not a Satanist. It's not for me, though I'd not find anyone discussing their personal religious beliefs an occasion for laughter and mockery*. I'm not aware I outed myself as anything other than well informed in this discussion ? Though I've certainly discussed my private beliefs elsewhere. I think the only things mentioned in this thread that are not public knowledge available with fairly straightforward Googling, I knew through science fiction fandom, or through Glorantha fandom. 

But one last word (from another well known occultist, who has written on Black Magic but definitely isn't a Satanist) on the whole issue of 'the real truth' or otherwise of occult symbolism - "There are few things more dull than the criticism which maintains that a thesis is untrue, and cannot understand that it is decorative." - A.W. Waite

*well, unless it was clearly satirical, rock on pastafarians and discordians and sub-genii etc. 

Edited by davecake
  • Like 4

On 1/27/2021 at 8:08 PM, davecake said:

Nope, I'm not a Satanist. It's not for me, though I'd not find anyone discussing their personal religious beliefs an occasion for laughter and mockery*. I'm not aware I outed myself as anything other than well informed in this discussion ? Though I've certainly discussed my private beliefs elsewhere. I think the only things mentioned in this thread that are not public knowledge available with fairly straightforward Googling, I knew through science fiction fandom, or through Glorantha fandom. 

But one last word (from another well known occultist, who has written on Black Magic but definitely isn't a Satanist) on the whole issue of 'the real truth' or otherwise of occult symbolism - "There are few things more dull than the criticism which maintains that a thesis is untrue, and cannot understand that it is decorative." - A.W. Waite

*well, unless it was clearly satirical, rock on pastafarians and discordians and sub-genii etc. 

LOL, whatever man.  It's just you are the one rushing to defend the counterfeit Templar devil imagery, and the only people who normally get upset about such things are Satanists in my experience.  I honestly don't care if you worship the Devil or not.