Call of Cthulhu Reprints and POD

Rick Meints

2 hours ago, Euclid Prime said:

Yeah, I was suspicious when they were suggesting that someone was selling at a 50% discount but clearly they were talking about Horrors on the Orient Express. I don't know if Miniature Market's retail store offers Bits and Mortar? I've never heard of anyone getting pdfs when they purchased something online through Miniature Market and I've been shopping there for over a decade. I've never bought a Call of Cthulhu book from them because I'd rather support Chaosium and know that I am getting the PDF with the product. Well, and because I get it immediately upon release.  And because the Chaosium warehouse packs really well.

Edited by klecser

I buy direct from Chaosium for a few reasons:

• To support them
  • I get the PDF for free and I get it immediately even if the hardcover is not yet available
  • Customer support has been good and responsive
  • Delivery is fast, packaging is solid
  • I can access my PDFs from the store at any given time and redownload them
  • I trust the store (and access to my PDFs) will not disappear anytime soon.
Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 3

Here is my unvarnished answer to how we support FLGS:

We love Brick & Mortar stores. I have fond memories of going to them that date back to the late 1970s. We very much want to help them get through the tough times and also prosper in the good times too. I go to my two FLGS and try to find something to buy from each of them every month when I visit. 

In contrast, I'm less of a fan of a FLGS that has one physical location, yet they do most of their business online as a 20-40% discounter. I am not a believer of having it both ways. Undercutting all sellers, including other Brick & Mortar stores that sell at retail is not a business practice I want to support. That's a race to the bottom.

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

10 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

In contrast, I'm less of a fan of a FLGS that has one physical location, yet they do most of their business online as a 20-40% discounter. I am not a believer of having it both ways. Undercutting all sellers, including other Brick & Mortar stores that sell at retail is not a business practice I want to support. That's a race to the bottom.

And their profit is in the resell market. Cards and miniatures. That's how they afford to sell the rest at a discount. Pretty cynical. For the record, I haven't made a purchase from them in years. Chaosium's perks make it worth the extra cost. 😉

Edited by klecser

11 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I buy direct from Chaosium for a few reasons:

• To support them
  • I get the PDF for free and I get it immediately even if the hardcover is not yet available
  • Customer support has been good and responsive
  • Delivery is fast, packaging is solid
  • I can access my PDFs from the store at any given time and redownload them
  • I trust the store (and access to my PDFs) will not disappear anytime soon.

This is a great list. Can I have your permission to quote you and paste this, as is, to the "Are You A New Keeper?" sticky?

If your FLGS doesn’t participate in Bricks and Mortar, ask them to sign up! Doesn’t cost em a thing. Beyond that, you get the books and PDFs for MSRP, help Chaosium, and also help your local nerd shop. Mine has the ability to do pulls on both comics and physical items, so I have a standing pull for all new Call of Cthulhu books. I wait a week or two for the distribution process, but I get to keep a local business afloat by doing so.

• 2 weeks later...