Magic World 7E: Anyone, anyone? Bueller?...

You are definitely a funny guy, after a bit of distraction you want me (again?) to defend location HP (after all!) which, again ( 😮 !) I am not using myself either! 😮 I mean I was.. but I decided to drop them..

I already explained it!

short summary:
There might be cases where the PCs like it better. It's a popular and (explicitly) optional rule.
Should you use it? It depends 
It depends on what? I gave you a few food for thoughts already.

You still don't want to use it? welcome to the club, neither do I (at the moment)! 😛 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
8 hours ago, Chaot said:

Doesn't matter the system, RQ2, RQ3, Elfquest, the BGB (which I'm listed as a play tester), Mythras, whatever. I've never liked Hit Locations. As I said, it may be an allergy.

7 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

You are definitely a funny guy, after a bit of distraction you want me (again?) to defend location HP (after all!) which, again ( 😮 !) I am not using myself either! 😮 I mean I was.. but I decided to drop them..

Different people have different playstyles.

I love hit locations, Chaot doesn't. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong, just that we prefer different things.

Not everything has to be an argument.

• Like 4

Yeah, I like the 7e push rolls, and bonus/penalty die, etc. They are a clean rule set. Like many have said (well...some) I find RQ rules a bit too crunchy, but that's a style thing. I wish MW had more products and support, but I really do like it. BPR is infinitely user-friendly, so we can all do what we like and just enjoy playing. 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:19 PM, Nick J. said:

. . . said no combatant ever.

Yeah they did.

At no point in 30 years of budo, and numerous real fights have I ever aimed at someone's head and hit their knee, nor their stomach.

So yeah, hit locations are garbage.

It is absolutely possible for someone to mis-read a strike and then move into the strike instead of away from. Hit locations are only okay to use with say weapons if it bounces off it slides along it into another body part.

For instance I blocked a mid level bokken strike poorly such that it rebounded off it hitting me in the eyebrow. But for fist fights, hit locations are plainly false.

Edited by RogerDee
1 hour ago, RogerDee said:

It is absolutely possible for someone to mis-read a strike and then move into the strike instead of away from.

A friend of mine, when we were competing in tournaments, went to deliver a spinning back kick, in retrospect we assume her opponent thought she was going for a spinning hook kick, and ducked causing her to lean right into the blow and was KOed on the spot.

Ultimately there aren't a lot of "random" shots in a melee. I dislike random hit locations for non-missile fire.

BE HEROIC!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RogerDee said:

Yeah they did.

At no point in 30 years of budo, and numerous real fights have I ever aimed at someone's head and hit their knee, nor their stomach.

It is absolutely possible for someone to mis-read a strike and then move into the strike instead of away from. Hit locations are only okay to use with say weapons if it bounces off it slides along it into another body part.

For instance I blocked a mid level bokken strike poorly such that it rebounded off it hitting me in the eyebrow. But for fist fights, hit locations are plainly false.

"Choose location" special effect in Mythras is pretty neat-o. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, RogerDee said:

Yeah they did.

In melee, when punching, use 1d10+10. When kicking, choose high or low (actual kicks or sweeps), and use either the former for high, or 1d10 for low. Still random, but will account for the fact that both parties are actually moving during the whole thing, and footwork, parries, blocks can cause blows to land in unintended locations. This method should probably be used for smaller weapons such as blackjacks and knives/daggers as well.

Longer weapons, it could be argued, should use the method I outline above, though I would still use the melee table for these: swords, hafted swingy weapons, and so on. 

Spears and missile weapons, normal location table, though my preference for these is the RQ3 missile location table (it favors the core over the limbs).

SDLeary

7 hours ago, RogerDee said:

Yeah they did.

Good points.
However, while I don't like to have guns and localized HP together for other reason, one could argue that with sniper rifle, aiming for the head is a sensible and common strategy

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Good points.
However, while I don't like to have guns and localized HP together for other reason, one could argue that with sniper rifle, aiming for the head is a sensible and common strategy

For this situation, or just aimed missile blows in general, you can import an-oldie-but-goodie from RQ2:

1. For each strike rank a player delays attacking after his normal strike rank, the player can adjust the die roll for hit location by one.

Thus a character with a normal strike rank of 4 can delay to strike rank 9 and be able to add or subtract up to 5 points to the hit location he rolls on D20. If the roll is 15, the character can hit anything from hit location 20 (Head) to 10 (Abdomen). He must, however, state the hit location before rolling damage dice.

SDLeary

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Zenith Comics Presents... said:

Can you elaborate? Pretty please? 🙂

Sure

[quote]When using hand-to-hand melee weapons the attacker may freely select the location where the blow lands, as long as that location is normally within reach.

If using ranged weapons Choose Location is a Critical Success only, unless the target is within close range and is either stationary or unaware of 
the attacker.[/quote]

So in a nutshell, a higher level of success let's a character aim where they wish, which is exactly what you'd expect in a fight (unarmed or otherwise).

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Simlasa said:

I've always liked the idea of hit locations, but not always how they're implemented... depending on the nature of the attack.

Yep, I'm perfectly content with simulating it with variable armor and major wound tables (ala Magic World, Elric!, etc.). Locations do matter, and there's more than one way to get there.

• Like 1