Time required to don armor

Avalon Polo

11 minutes ago, Avalon Polo said:

I'm putting together my first RQG game, but I'm having trouble finding one thing in the rules. How long does it take to put on armor? Are there any numerical penalties for keeping armor on while resting, or not in combat?

In general, greaves, vambraces, and cuirasses take a while to put on, and if a fight starts before you are armed, it might be over before you get your armor on! 
image.png.e440b1719b67f784930e430ec1180498.png

I ask my characters often if they are wearing their armor while marching, riding, or doing normal stuff - first by prefacing that the armor is uncomfortable, heavy, and hot. If they insist I might require a Constitution check or give them some additional penalties on their skills. But I find having fixed mechanical penalties isn't as effective as just describing to them how uncomfortable and heavy the armor is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Avalon Polo said:

I'm putting together my first RQG game, but I'm having trouble finding one thing in the rules. How long does it take to put on armor?

Always put armour on before a fight. If you try to do it at the start of a fight, you will likely be on the loosing side.

Although this is specific, it gives an excellent insight.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 minutes ago, Avalon Polo said:

That is an absolutely delightful video - I'm happy you've shared it - but are there no formulaic rules in the game for the amount of time it takes to put on a piece of armor?

What is clear is that it takes more or less a round to get greaves on IF everything is ready. Longer if they are leather or otherwise need to be tied. It takes more or less around to get vambraces ready. Longer if they are leather or otherwise need to be tied. Same thing with a helmet. You could use the preparing or changing rules for EACH item assuming it is none too complicated (requiring ties, etc).

But for your cuirass or linothorax or hauberk of scale - that's going to take awhile. Normally you would have someone else help you if you wanted to be speedy. But there is a reason people historically put their armor on before battle, and if they got ambushed - they grabbed their shield and their weapons and left their armor behind. Given the speed and lethality of RuneQuest combat, most players might throw on a helmet or something, but generally will do the same as their historical counterparts. 

• Like 2

as said, seems to me very dangerous to try to get armored once you detect a fight. But if you want a formula, I woud propose

a battle roll to be sure your not too stressed to do it :

critical : 0.5 round per enc

special : 0.7 round per enc

success : 1 round per enc

faillure: 2 rounds per enc

fumble: 2 rounds per enc + no armor + the output of a parry fumble

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

as said, seems to me very dangerous to try to get armored once you detect a fight. But if you want a formula, I woud propose

a battle roll to be sure your not too stressed to do it :

critical : 0.5 round per enc

special : 0.7 round per enc

success : 1 round per enc

faillure: 2 rounds per enc

fumble: 2 rounds per enc + no armor + the output of a parry fumble

That makes sense. I was going to say 1 round per piece of equipment but that works.

Putting it on yourself will probably take twice as long, so having a companion or servant to help is probably better.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 minutes ago, soltakss said:

That makes sense. I was going to say 1 round per piece of equipment but that works.

Putting it on yourself will probably take twice as long, so having a companion or servant to help is probably better.

absolutly and you could add of course the time to get the armor from your bags/ horse satchel/ etc

43 minutes ago, Trotsky said:

In our game if a fight starts whilst armour is not being worn - gabbing a shield and putting on a helmet is about the best you can do...

absolutly

2 hours ago, Kloster said:

Agreed. But this clearly means most fights will be over before you have put half your armor.

absolutly

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Avalon Polo said:

That is an absolutely delightful video - I'm happy you've shared it - but are there no formulaic rules in the game for the amount of time it takes to put on a piece of armor?

I believe this is (intentionally) not a level of detail that RQ tracks.  There's too many picayune details that might reasonably/realistically impact the amount of time it takes.

As stated above, the fight will likely be over before you finish donning your armor.

I'd also mention that -- if your foes notice you doing this -- they'll likely kill you right away, as (a) easy pickings NOW, unarmored and with your hands full of fastenings and (b) much more dangerous LATER, if you enter the fight fully armed & armored & prepped.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, Ian Absentia said:

...played with some highly tactical rules that involve Strike Rank down to a matter of seconds.  So, yes, on occasion.

!i!

But as a whole it doesn't really matter then. I mean this is a hobby, not live re-enactment, so there is only so much realism required tbh. 

It depends what elements of reality you're trying to emulate (or whatever fantastical version of it you're playing). There's being totally surprised flat-footed, then there's being caught off guard with little time to prepare.  What scenario are you trying to portray?

Sure, I get impatient with niggling, insignificant detail during games, too.  But I also get impatient with players who wave-off levels of detail that matter to others.

So for this inquiry, maybe the question isn't "How long does it take to put on armor?" so much as it's "How much time do I have?"  The answer certainly isn't "You're playing it wrong."

!i!

• Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

3 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

It depends what elements of reality you're trying to emulate (or whatever fantastical version of it you're playing). There's being totally surprised flat-footed, then there's being caught off guard with little time to prepare.  What scenario are you trying to portray?

Sure, I get impatient with niggling, insignificant detail during games, too.  But I also get impatient with players who wave-off levels of detail that matter to others.

So for this inquiry, maybe the question isn't "How long does it take to put on armor?" so much as it's "How much time do I have?"  The answer certainly isn't "You're playing it wrong."

!i!

It does kind of depend. If the enemy is right there then you are not putting any armour on. But if they are a couple of minutes away you can handwave it. Well I would anyway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RogerDee said:

Thing is you are in a cinematic world of high magic. So really does it actually matter?

Yes, if only for the reason g33k noted:

11 hours ago, g33k said:

I'd also mention that -- if your foes notice you doing this -- they'll likely kill you right away, as (a) easy pickings NOW, unarmored and with your hands full of fastenings and (b) much more dangerous LATER, if you enter the fight fully armed & armored & prepped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RQ3 was 2 SR per Encumberance point. Based on the video and Jeff's comments you could estimate it at either 3SR per encumberance or 5SR per item as not too unrealistic. In our games the order of importance in surprise/unprepared combat is shield, helm, spear  and then kill them all

Edited by 0xal0t
  • Like 2