Magic in CoC - What is it?

RogerDee

As a rule of thumb, its something thats a bad idea to mess with.

Its part science, part otherworldly power and part divine intervention.

A lot depends on the scenario and setting, but in most cases if my players decide to start casting spells they better be prepared for some nasty things happening

8 hours ago, klecser said:

I personally like the idea that magic is just another term for transdimensional gateways that allow players to draw on energy from "another place or reality." It fits nicely in with the cosmic in cosmic horror. :) 

I believe this was how magic worked in Mongoose RQ I actually....plus Gumshoe Rough Magick did mention this as one option.

8 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

I mostly go with Mythos magic being extra-dimensional or alien science. I treat magic like what we see in Robert E Howard's Hyborian Age and Thurian Age.

But how do you envision the alien science working? How does casting a spell translate to effect?

Mythos Magic is the underlying ‘science' of the universe that is beyond human comprehension. It is difficult to rationalize how it works, because it is expressly beyond our own comprehension - and doesn’t follow our own rationalized logic.

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RogerDee said:

But how do you envision the alien science working? How does casting a spell translate to effect?

Not entirely sure what you mean, but basically I see it as the underlying code of the universe. magic symbols and words and actions just translate into "programming" the universe. Humans can't really understand it fully, so they see it as symbols, ingredients, and words. Some of it is definitely calling on concepts and extra-dimensional beings to warp "reality."

In my games, it all just looks like magic, but with hints at energy transference and reality warping.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Not entirely sure what you mean, but basically I see it as the underlying code of the universe. magic symbols and words and actions just translate into "programming" the universe. Humans can't really understand it fully, so they see it as symbols, ingredients, and words. Some of it is definitely calling on concepts and extra-dimensional beings to warp "reality."

In my games, it all just looks like magic, but with hints at energy transference and reality warping.

That is actually quite interesting to be honest, and actually to some extent psychic powers from the Pliocene Saga, where they have psychic programs IIRC. Plus we have the below from Doctor Who-

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Magic

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Block_Transfer_Computation

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Quantum_mnemonics

Not sure if that helps with any ideas or not? It is always interesting to see opinions on how CoC 'magic' works, and see what good ideas other people have.

Edited by RogerDee
  • Like 1

I pretty much like the idea  used in  Delta Green/The Laundry Files that 'magic' is just math, or  'hyper-geometry'.  Cannonically HPL  kinda hints at this in 'The Dreams in the Witch-House'. Ritual and incantation are just a kind of debased equation that manipulates space and time in some fundamental fashion.

Outside of CoC  I suppose we could see a parallel with 'sorcery' in Elric/Stormbringer  and RQ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDLeary said:

So Jedi are all quite insane then! I like it! 

SDLeary

It was more to use some of the EU stuff, albeit it was touched on in the Clone Wars CGI stuff.

You have Light & Dark, but also other aspects of the Force. So to use a Doctor Who idea (7th Doc - McCoy), the Light was shattered and not one sole power, while the others: Dark, Cosmic, Living, Physical etc are embodied by one outer god.

Edited by RogerDee
  • Like 1