ISO: BRP Magic Systems for my CoC Fantasy Hack

Hello everyone, 

In my Bastard Sword thread, I had mentioned that I wanted to use Cthulhu mythos magic (reskinned of course), but as I think more I want/need more magic systems for the world, since I do not subscribe to the concept that ALL magic MUST be evil.

These are, off the top of my head, the magic systems I would like to see in the setting;

1] Sorcery: This is the magic of evil, plain and simple. I think the Cthulhu magic works well here as it requires research, and slowly corrupts you as it goes. That said, are there other sorcery variants for BRP that I should look at? Specifically in the "evil magic/with a cost" variety.

2] White Magic/Hedge Magic/Folk Magic: This is the stuff of Celtic myth and such. The "white way" that doesn't make deals with the Devil or require demon summoning, or Faustian bargins. Simple magic, not overly powerful, but able to be used by the wise old crone outside the village, or the shaman of the local barbarians, etc... What should I look at as the BRP options?

3] Summoning & Binding: Ultimately I will probably use the Stormbringer rules for this, as it does what I want, but flavour it with the twist that Aretesia has that many of the 'spirits" that get summoned/bound aren't just elementals or demons, but might be neutral or even beings of light (Angelic binding anyone?). Is there a better BRP choice for this than Stormbringer?

4] Holy Magic/Angelic Magic: Building on the 3rd one, I like the idea of Biblical/Divine magic, that stuff that is the power of some divine power. It blasts darkness away with hold light, etc... not specifically D&D Clerical magic, but something a bit more biblical. Any resources for such a thing in BRP?

5] Any others? What suggestions of cool magic do you have to recommend? A rune based magic for my Viking analogs? Maybe some sort of blood magic involving using lives to pay the Magic Point cost for a cult of Druids? Suggest me cool types of magic I can hide throughout the setting for the players to discover and fight, or even learn as they go on their adventures.

Remember, I am not looking for vulgar (no Fireballs please), but interesting, and flavourful magic that requires investment, can be tremendously powerful, but to reach those heights are not for the timid of the weak.

I thank you in advance for your input.

Cheers!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Visit the Zenith Comics Patreon

John Snead’s book Enlightened Magic published by Chaosium basically takes Wicca like rituals and practices and turns them up a notch. There’s no flashy magic (so no fireballs) but making your neighbors car quit just as he is racing a train across a railroad crossing is a thing. Similarly he might “accidentally “ slip and break his neck. System reminds me of how magic is done in the movie The Craft. GREAT, GREAT book for ritual magic.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

1 hour ago, rsanford said:

John Snead’s book Enlightened Magic published by Chaosium basically takes Wicca like rituals and practices and turns them up a notch. There’s no flashy magic (so no fireballs) but making your neighbors car quit just as he is racing a train across a railroad crossing is a thing. Similarly he might “accidentally “ slip and break his neck. System reminds me of how magic is done in the movie The Craft. GREAT, GREAT book for ritual magic.

I will take a look at it, might be interesting. Ultimately I am look more for hedge magic than The Craft ;) But ritual magic might be a good read! Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!

• Like 1

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Visit the Zenith Comics Patreon