Gloranthan Kaiju

ZedAlpha

10 minutes ago, ZedAlpha said:

is there anywhere that I can read more about the giants? I'm pouring through the Guide to Glorantha, but that book is dense, and my ADHD is having a bad time with how the text is formatted. 

In the Guide, try p.84 (dwarf constructs), p.192 (Gonn Orta's search in the Hero Wars box), p.193 (Gonn Orta), p.197 (Gonn Orta's Pass), p.457 (River of Cradles box).  

For some other gigantic monsters, check out the section on Slon in the Guide.  (It's got aspects of the Edgar Rice Burroughs' Land that Time Forgot to it, except ruled over by dwarfs.)

• Like 2

Griffin Mountain  has a fair bit of info about giants, focussing on Gonn Orta and the area around his castle called Giant's Land. In the Guide  this area is referred to as the Eleven Big Giant Mountains. They aren't called Giants because they're big, or because giants live on them (both incidentally true) but because they are dormant giants!

One of the giants, Dolog, was a friend and companion of the Praxian demigod hero Tada, and fought at his side against chaos. At one point Tada is fighting a giant kaiju-sized chaos wolf called, if i remember correctly, Canis Chaos, and he can't win, so his pal Dolog does him a solid and sits on the wolf. Dolog is a mountain now, and the wolf is to this day trapped there, under his ass. It's incredible. Chaotic wolves still inhabit the area, and it's called Wolf's Peak now.

Can't remember the exact source for this exact story but it's in one of the writeups for the Eleven Big Giant Mountains.

There's also the Nine Good Giant Mountains, north of Prax near Dragon Pass, which are also dormant True Giants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZedAlpha said:

is there anywhere that I can read more about the giants? I'm pouring through the Guide to Glorantha, but that book is dense, and my ADHD is having a bad time with how the text is formatted. 

One out of print source is the cult of Annilla, which tells a bit of the story of the Elder Giants and their war against the dragons. Published in the RQ3 Troll Gods box, Troll Cults Book.

Any of the Pavis books telling a bit of the history of the place, the giant cradles, Paragua and Thog will have pointers, too.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 hours ago, ZedAlpha said:

Prince of Sartar pp. 64-66, for the psychedelic version.

http://www.princeofsartar.com/comic/64-making-baby-giants/

(The storytelling technique here of giving an infodump to someone who neither needs or wants it is so good!)

Edited by Akhôrahil

There are a bunch of various giant monsters roaming the Pamaltelan savannah, the Guide mentions some of them briefly (iirc there's at least one hydra, and goo monster or a monster that turns everything into goo or something, I might be misremembering, my stomach's been acting up lately.)

My impression is that Pamaltela is basically geared more towards individual/heroband heroics and cunning than the impending large-scale wars we see north of the mountains and in Genertela (the Kresh/reforestation notwithstanding), so fighting giant monsters goes well along with that.

12 hours ago, Ned said:

How big's Hungry Jack?

In Secrets of Dorastor, I have a Jackling as being SIZ 6D6+36, average 57, so they go up to SIZ 72. 

Hungry Jack is their progenitor, so should be bigger, maybe SIZ 100 or 150?

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here